Re: NG Greece - Seeding Projects

  • karoubas
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 10, 2008
      Dear Raju,

      Its always nice to hear from you - we really appreciate your
      contributions to this group and to see your farm in pictures.

      Kostas

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Raju Titus" <rajuktitus@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear friend,
      > Thank you very much for showing nice work of God.
      > Thanks
      > Raju
      >

      > On 4/10/08, karoubas <karoubas@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello everyone,
      > >
      > > I have updated the site www.naturalfarming.us - it includes photos
      > > from last year's seeding projects and the results - we are very
      pleased.

      > > The large seed pellets (4 cm in diameter by 2 cm in height) worked
      > > well - they are able to survive large downpours, and as you will see
      > > in photos they produce the desired results. We think this is the way
      > > to go for reforestation projects and to revive barren lands.
      > >
      > > The site also includes announcements concerning the upcoming seed ball
      > > making events for this summer at Edessa and near Athens - as usual
      > > there is a camp style place for volunteers to stay for free, and there
      > > is food available as last year.
      > >
      > > Again its important to thank all the volunteers who came last year.
      > >
      > > I have been following your posts - they are very helpful - thank you.
      > >
      > > I have followed some of the advice given in this group and it has
      > > worked fine in my farm - in particular the scattering of rye (thanks
      > > Deiter) has been successful.
      > >
      > > It has been an unusual winter here in northern Greece - we got two
      > > heavy downpours in late October and early November, for a total of 22
      > > cm. But the rain came within half an hour each time - my neighbors who
      > > plow lost a lot of their top soil, while my farm retained and stored
      > > almost all of the water - I think this is one of the major benefits of
      > > not plowing. It did not rain at all after early November, until 1 week
      > > ago.
      > >
      > > Year by year I see an increase in the amount of organic matter being
      > > produced on my farm, and the increase is exponential (not linear).
      > >
      > > I have planted another 70 trees this spring, and I will spend most of
      > > the summer making sure they survive. I am hoping that in another 10
      > > years the trees will grow and a jungle will form - this is a piece of
      > > land that was essential barren when I bought it 6 years ago.
      > >
      > > On behalf of all the people here in Greece who are involved with
      > > Natural Farming and the reforestation efforts, I want to wish Fukuoka
      > > San a speedy recovery, so he can return and enjoy his farm.
      > >
      > > Stay well,
      > >
      > > Kostas

    • ayla seyhun
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 10, 2008
        Dear Kostas,

        I am a neighbour to you. I live in Turkey, just across the sea,

        we live near villages where real natural farming is done based on centuries
        of
        live knowledge.

        I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil, products...
        I am sure that
        you have similiar old villagers around.

        Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our regions
        and
        share it with friends in the group.

        It may be easy for you to visit us, as � know you dont't pay for visa coming
        here, but we do pay going
        there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.

        Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries may visit
        you and us in one package.
        and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,

        What do you think?

        Ayla

      • Robert Monie
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
          Ayla,

          You and Kostas need to put these traditional farming practices into some documentary form (booklet, photos, DVD) to preserve it. I have Vietnamese friends who vaguely recall their grandmothers' way of growing but have lost most of the details and gotten out of practice.
          Now they say: "I think this is the way she did it when I was little, but I'm not sure--I didn't always pay attention." It is sad how quickly such knowledge can disappear when areas are "modernized" or people have to migrate and new ways quickly take the place of old.

          Best wishes,

          Bob Monie
          New Orleans, LA
          USA
          ayla seyhun <aylaseyhun@...> wrote:
          Dear Kostas,

          I am a neighbour to you. I live in Turkey, just across the sea,

          we live near villages where real natural farming is done based on centuries
          of
          live knowledge.

          I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil, products...
          I am sure that
          you have similiar old villagers around.

          Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our regions
          and
          share it with friends in the group.

          It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for visa coming

          On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM, karoubas wrote:

          > Dear Raju,
          >
          > Its always nice to hear from you - we really appreciate your
          > contributions to this group and to see your farm in pictures.
          >
          > Kostas
          >
          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com ,
          > "Raju Titus"
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear friend,
          > > Thank you very much for showing nice work of God.
          > > Thanks
          > > Raju
          > >

          > > On 4/10/08, karoubas wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello everyone,
          > > >
          > > > I have updated the site www.naturalfarming.us - it includes photos
          > > > from last year's seeding projects and the results - we are very
          > pleased.
          > > >
          > > > The large seed pellets (4 cm in diameter by 2 cm in height) worked
          > > > well - they are able to survive large downpours, and as you will see
          > > > in photos they produce the desired results. We think this is the way
          > > > to go for reforestation projects and to revive barren lands.
          > > >
          > > > The site also includes announcements concerning the upcoming seed ball
          > > > making events for this summer at Edessa and near Athens - as usual
          > > > there is a camp style place for volunteers to stay for free, and there
          > > > is food available as last year.
          > > >
          > > > Again its important to thank all the volunteers who came last year.
          > > >
          > > > I have been following your posts - they are very helpful - thank you.
          > > >
          > > > I have followed some of the advice given in this group and it has
          > > > worked fine in my farm - in particular the scattering of rye (thanks
          > > > Deiter) has been successful.
          > > >
          > > > It has been an unusual winter here in northern Greece - we got two
          > > > heavy downpours in late October and early November, for a total of 22
          > > > cm. But the rain came within half an hour each time - my neighbors who
          > > > plow lost a lot of their top soil, while my farm retained and stored
          > > > almost all of the water - I think this is one of the major benefits of
          > > > not plowing. It did not rain at all after early November, until 1 week
          > > > ago.
          > > >
          > > > Year by year I see an increase in the amount of organic matter being
          > > > produced on my farm, and the increase is exponential (not linear).
          > > >
          > > > I have planted another 70 trees this spring, and I will spend most of
          > > > the summer making sure they survive. I am hoping that in another 10
          > > > years the trees will grow and a jungle will form - this is a piece of
          > > > land that was essential barren when I bought it 6 years ago.
          > > >
          > > > On behalf of all the people here in Greece who are involved with
          > > > Natural Farming and the reforestation efforts, I want to wish Fukuoka
          > > > San a speedy recovery, so he can return and enjoy his farm.
          > > >
          > > > Stay well,
          > > >
          > > > Kostas

        • karoubas
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
            Hello Ayla,

            Its nice to hear from you - yes it would be a great idea to meet.
            There are many others in Turkey and in Greece that practice or are
            working on natural farming - we pretty much have the same climate and
            problems with soil erosion, pollution and lack of vegetation.

            Kostas

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "ayla seyhun" <aylaseyhun@...>
            wrote:

            > Dear Kostas,
            >
            > I am a neighbour to you. I live in Turkey, just across the sea,
            >
            > we live near villages where real natural farming is done based on
            centuries
            > of
            > live knowledge.
            >
            > I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil,
            products...
            > I am sure that
            > you have similiar old villagers around.
            >
            > Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our
            regions
            > and
            > share it with friends in the group.
            >
            > It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for
            visa coming
            > here, but we do pay going
            > there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.
            >
            > Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries
            may visit
            > you and us in one package.
            > and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,
            >
            > What do you think?
            >
            > Ayla
            >
            > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM, karoubas <karoubas@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Dear Raju,
            > >
            > > Its always nice to hear from you - we really appreciate your
            > > contributions to this group and to see your farm in pictures.
            > >
            > > Kostas
            > >
            > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
            <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > > "Raju Titus" <rajuktitus@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Dear friend,
            > > > Thank you very much for showing nice work of God.
            > > > Thanks
            > > > Raju

            > > pleased.

            Fukuoka

          • ayla seyhun
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11, 2008
              Hello

              I am really happy to hear that you agree to meet. I may organise your stay
              in a village
              with people who knows old ways of agriculture.

              Are there others in the group who would like to join us? Bob from LA for
              example? We may have lots to tell and to exchange for a global shift.

              I think you have olive trees mainly. What trees have you planted? I have
              friends from Japan who live in Turkey
              and they grow rice with natural farming methods at the north side of Turkey.

              Waiting to hear from you?

              Ayla

            • karoubas
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2008
                Bob,
                That's not a bad idea - we are making a good effort here in Greece to
                save the old seed varieties, and there are few people going around
                writing down different ways that people traditionally grew food - its
                a race against time for both the seed varieties (many have been lost)
                and methods.

                I would not call natural farming these methods though.

                Kostas

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>
                wrote:

                > Ayla,
                >
                > You and Kostas need to put these traditional farming practices
                into some documentary form (booklet, photos, DVD) to preserve it. I
                have Vietnamese friends who vaguely recall their grandmothers' way of
                growing but have lost most of the details and gotten out of practice.
                > Now they say: "I think this is the way she did it when I was
                little, but I'm not sure--I didn't always pay attention." It is sad
                how quickly such knowledge can disappear when areas are "modernized"
                or people have to migrate and new ways quickly take the place of old.

                > Best wishes,
                >
                > Bob Monie
                > New Orleans, LA
                > USA
                > ayla seyhun <aylaseyhun@...> wrote:
                > Dear Kostas,
                >
                > I am a neighbour to you. I live in Turkey, just across the sea,
                >
                > we live near villages where real natural farming is done based on
                centuries
                > of
                > live knowledge.
                >
                > I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil,
                products...
                > I am sure that
                > you have similiar old villagers around.
                >
                > Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our
                regions
                > and
                > share it with friends in the group.
                >
                > It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for
                visa coming
                > here, but we do pay going
                > there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.
                >
                > Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries
                may visit
                > you and us in one package.
                > and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,
                >
                > What do you think?
                >
                > Ayla
                >
                > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:52 AM, karoubas wrote:
                >
                > > Dear Raju,
                > >
                > > Its always nice to hear from you - we really appreciate your
                > > contributions to this group and to see your farm in pictures.
                > >
                > > Kostas
                > >
                > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com ,
                > > "Raju Titus"
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Dear friend,
                > > > Thank you very much for showing nice work of God.
                > > > Thanks
                > > > Raju

                > > pleased.

                Fukuoka

              • karoubas
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 13, 2008
                  Hello Ayla,
                  Its nice of you to offer a place for us to stay - its says a lot about
                  what I already heard about - the hospitality of the Turkish people.

                  Let me suggest that we should plan to do seeding projects in Turkey to
                  reforest (turn into forests) the barren areas that I see in pictures -
                  its important to reverse the desertification process that is occurring
                  along the Mediterranean.

                  Seeding projects should be done all around the areas that are affected
                  (Lebanon, Israel, Syria, Egypt, Libya etc) - but we need to get moving
                  - small at first.

                  On your question about the trees I planted - I did plan about 8 olive
                  trees this year - in keeping with the natural farming principles I
                  planted a large variety of trees - apples grapes cherry trees etc. -
                  the land will show me in time what is right for my area.

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > centuries
                  > > > of
                  > > > live knowledge.
                  > > >
                  > > > I am surprised to hear their wisdom on agriculture, trees, soil,
                  > > products...
                  > > > I am sure that
                  > > > you have similiar old villagers around.
                  > > >
                  > > > Maybe we may begin exchanging this cultural knowledge between our
                  > > regions
                  > > > and
                  > > > share it with friends in the group.
                  > > >
                  > > > It may be easy for you to visit us, as ý know you dont't pay for
                  > > visa coming
                  > > > here, but we do pay going
                  > > > there. You may come here from Lesvos island by boat. We are so near.
                  > > >
                  > > > Maybe we can organise agro tours, friends from different countries
                  > > may visit
                  > > > you and us in one package.
                  > > > and this will be a great cultural feast for our souls,

                • ayla seyhun
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 14, 2008
                    Dear Friends,

                    I felt to give some information about myself and my life.

                    We (my husband and I) have left the big city a year ago, bought an old
                    caravan and
                    a 1967 model of land rover and moved into an unknown future for us.

                    The universe kept us at an area where Gods and Godesses lived, like Zeus,
                    Afrodite, Paris...
                    The hills here are covered with olive trees and high hills (800-1800 m) with
                    pine trees. There are more than 100 types of endemic vegetation in the area
                    and many other are found every year. Some part of the area is a national
                    park. The oxygen in the air is accepted as the best on the world for the
                    human body. Good for asthma.

                    There are also thermal baths around. The hotels in the area have little bed
                    capacity. No mass tourism is available.

                    But for me, there is a very big problem now. The old villagers have their
                    own ways of natural farming. They dont use hormones, pesticizers,
                    fertilizers... they dont have the money to afford them... but the youth dont
                    want to learn these and follow their methods... they want to leave for the
                    big cities... so if we dont learn from them, all will be forgotten... what
                    I intend to do is to bring in people to these villages who will ask
                    questions to the old people, appreciate them... and young people will begin
                    to think, oh, if I learn these, too, I will be honored and I can survive and
                    make money in my homeland. There is no need to go to the big cities...

                    I could have made a family trust in me and had them change a part of their
                    house to a guest house. Now from big cities people make their holiday plans
                    to visit this village, eat local food and learn from them how they live... I
                    wish and dream a lot that you come over, too. See what and how they do,
                    encourage them, exchange ideas.... for a natural world to live together...

                    I promise to prepare an english web site to show you the photos of this 500
                    years old village.

                    ayla

                  • Robert Monie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 14, 2008
                      Ayla,

                      There may be no way to keep the youngsters from moving to the city; the world demographic trend is overwhelmingly toward urban development. The relevant question may be not whether we are going to have cities everywhere (we probably will), but what kind of cities and whether they will be able to accomodate sustainable farming. What is most in danger now is the loss of farming traditions such as you are witnessing in your 500-year old village. If you or someone else does not preserve these traditions in film, text, audio, notebooks etc., the memory of them will blow away like leaves in the wind. And then, should the younger generation decide to build an ecocity or eco-neighborhood, they may do fine with building designs and materials and alternative sources of energy but come up short with appropriate agriculture for the area because the tradition was not preserved for (or by) them.

                      Many traditional methods of farming can be imported into the city, even the ecocity, but usually minus the farm animals. One strength of Fukuoka-style natural farming is that it doesn't rely much on farm animals (horses, cows, oxen, goats) with the exception of chickens, which, I believe, Fukuoka considers optional because green manure and cover crops can replace animal manure.

                      Best wishes,

                      Bob Monie

                    • karoubas
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 15, 2008
                        Hello Ayla,

                        It sounds like you found a great place to stay - pine trees - olive
                        trees - small village life - do let us know when you set up your site
                        - its much more preferable to visit such a place than the crowded
                        cities - it also sounds like a great place to start a natural farm