Re: [fukuoka_farming] Starting with NF

  • Venkat Iyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
      Dear Nandan,
      Congratulations on your new farm and am sure you will do well. I wished to
      make only one suggestion to you. Do not plant banana near the coconut trees.
      You will find the yield of coconuts going down. They do not get along well.
      As per my knowledge its something to do with potassium which is taken in
      large quantities by banana and the lack of which causes problems in coconut
      water retention. So it may be a good idea to refrain from mixing banana and
      coconut.
      As for the dried leaves around trees it is an excellent idea. The best
      results would be achieved if you dig a half circle trench one meter away
      from the base of the tree, fill it and cover it. The next season the other
      half of the circle should be used to fill and cover. This will also help you
      in reducing mite problems in coconuts.
      When it comes to rice the thing gets a lot more complicated than they seem.
      I have tried dispersing rice without tilling and the results have not been
      very encouraging. I am still trying to get the right combination so I get
      the right results. Everything depends on your local conditions and only you
      can arrive at the ideal combination on your farm. The basic principle of
      Fukuoka remain but finding the right way at your farm will take time.
      Besides trying out different ways, I also grow a small area where I till the
      land and sow rice (disperse method ) for our personal consumption. That way
      at least you have some rice to eat while you are working towards finding the
      right combination.
      My experience is that the rainfall in your area, the soil, the gradient of
      your land, the type of grass on your field, the timing of your sowing and
      most important the seed you choose will determine your success. Since its
      your first year I would suggest you opt for a sturdy local variety which is
      not too long duration and of course not hybrid and you will see reasonable
      results. It may be a good idea to cut the grass on the field now and let it
      lie for a month in the sun and then disperse the seeds when the rain
      arrives.
      I do hope my experiences will help you and wish you all the best. Please do
      keep me updated on your experiences.
      ps. Have tried to pull a rake over the land and put the seeds in the small
      gap created. Gives better results.

      Venkat Iyer
      203, Madhyam Society,
      M G Road, Goregaon (West),
      Mumbai - 400 062
      India
      Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
      (Mob) : 9869269067
      (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

    • D.F. Naber
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
        My name is Dillon. Check out the photos from our workshop. I'm the tall guy...:)

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
          Hi Dillion,

          I would like to talk to you on the NF experience. I
          will be able to use some of this, in my new land.
          Currently I am in Newark, California as part of my job
          and will be here for another 1 month.

          Let me know your contact number, I can give you a call
          over the weekend.

          My hotel number - 510.657.4600 Room number - 226

          Regards,
          Nandan