Re: [fukuoka_farming] Natural farming1st workshop

  • Jamie Nicol
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2008
      Dear ´dfnaber´, it´s good to hear of your experiments with swales and
      seedballs, but particularly good to hear of your meeting up with other NFers
      and just getting on and making seedballs.

      I´ve had the pleasure of meeting several members of this group (Emilia,
      Kali, Pavle, Reuben, and most recently Chris) and it always helps me keep
      going knowing there´re others interested and committed to the same things I
      am.

      NF is not a solitary pursuit, and I´d like to invite anyone in Spain, France
      or nearby to come and meet up here in Spain or France to sit down, make
      seedballs and just talk!

      Good luck with your further seedballing ´dfnaber´ (do you have a name?) and
      let us know what takes and what doesn´t.

      Jamie
      Mas Franch

      On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:06 AM, dfnaber <dfnaber@...> wrote:

      > Our group (board members and employees of Threshold/Dig IT!) started a
      > natural farming/permaculture experiment this weekend in Lancaster
      > County Pennsylvania. Saturday, workshop participants constructed A
      > frames and began digging swales. The aim was to dig them as close to
      > conture as our A-frames would get us. The field is roughly 5 acres and
      > we dug swales across the entire length and width of it. Some swales
      > ended up meeting and joining into one. Had we been a bit more careful
      > when building the A-frames this probably wouldn't have happened. The
      > swales will still serve their purpose of slowing erosion due to
      > run-off and passively irrigating the field.
      >
      > On Sunday, a smaller group of us got together to make seedballs of
      > yellow clover for use as our living mulch and nitrogen fixer. Included
      > in the group were four Vermonters (Bennie, Karen, Katy and Jeremy aka
      > Peaches) who made the trek down to help us out and take some knowledge
      > home as well. Hopefully we'll be able to return the favor and head
      > north to Vermont to lend a hand to them--and learn a thing or two as
      > well! Seedballs or clumps were made by the thousand and broadcast all
      > over the field by hand.
      >
      > It was a very fulfilling weekend. Our group made four new friends and
      > we all got to be intimately acquainted with Our Mother again. We'll be
      > heading back in mid-May to make seedballs for corn, soybeans, and
      > squash and broadcast them. After that we'll stop in to check up on it,
      > but little else will be done until harvest time.

    • i.gencay
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18, 2008
        Thanks for the inspiration!