Re: [fukuoka_farming] Starting with NF

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
      Dear Rajuji,

      Thanks for the response.

      I haven't visisted Bhaskar Save's farm but have read
      about his farm from Ashok Sanghavi's book - "The way
      to health, wealth and happiness". Definitely I would
      like to visit his farm, but it may take some more time
      for me since it is far..

      Bhaskar Save gets one of the best yield in cocunut,
      around 400 cocunts per year from each tree.

      Regards,
      Nandan

    • Venkat Iyer
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
        Dear Nandan,
        Congratulations on your new farm and am sure you will do well. I wished to
        make only one suggestion to you. Do not plant banana near the coconut trees.
        You will find the yield of coconuts going down. They do not get along well.
        As per my knowledge its something to do with potassium which is taken in
        large quantities by banana and the lack of which causes problems in coconut
        water retention. So it may be a good idea to refrain from mixing banana and
        coconut.
        As for the dried leaves around trees it is an excellent idea. The best
        results would be achieved if you dig a half circle trench one meter away
        from the base of the tree, fill it and cover it. The next season the other
        half of the circle should be used to fill and cover. This will also help you
        in reducing mite problems in coconuts.
        When it comes to rice the thing gets a lot more complicated than they seem.
        I have tried dispersing rice without tilling and the results have not been
        very encouraging. I am still trying to get the right combination so I get
        the right results. Everything depends on your local conditions and only you
        can arrive at the ideal combination on your farm. The basic principle of
        Fukuoka remain but finding the right way at your farm will take time.
        Besides trying out different ways, I also grow a small area where I till the
        land and sow rice (disperse method ) for our personal consumption. That way
        at least you have some rice to eat while you are working towards finding the
        right combination.
        My experience is that the rainfall in your area, the soil, the gradient of
        your land, the type of grass on your field, the timing of your sowing and
        most important the seed you choose will determine your success. Since its
        your first year I would suggest you opt for a sturdy local variety which is
        not too long duration and of course not hybrid and you will see reasonable
        results. It may be a good idea to cut the grass on the field now and let it
        lie for a month in the sun and then disperse the seeds when the rain
        arrives.
        I do hope my experiences will help you and wish you all the best. Please do
        keep me updated on your experiences.
        ps. Have tried to pull a rake over the land and put the seeds in the small
        gap created. Gives better results.

        Venkat Iyer
        203, Madhyam Society,
        M G Road, Goregaon (West),
        Mumbai - 400 062
        India
        Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
        (Mob) : 9869269067
        (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

      • D.F. Naber
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
          My name is Dillon. Check out the photos from our workshop. I'm the tall guy...:)

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
            Hi Dillion,

            I would like to talk to you on the NF experience. I
            will be able to use some of this, in my new land.
            Currently I am in Newark, California as part of my job
            and will be here for another 1 month.

            Let me know your contact number, I can give you a call
            over the weekend.

            My hotel number - 510.657.4600 Room number - 226

            Regards,
            Nandan