Re: Weeds?!

  • robin
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2008
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "claytonbergman"
      <claytonbergman@...> wrote:

      > What methods are successful at controlling weeds in your area without
      > resorting to cultivation, herbicides, or chemicals both synthetic and
      > organic?

      for my garden, scattering cover crop seeds (or enough of any kind of
      seeds of what i want to plant, in my case this season it's native and
      cereal grasses, small legumes, brassicas, salad species, etc.) into
      the weeds consistently over several seasons has eventually turned my
      area( about 1/2 acre) into constantly changing but at the same time
      more and more
      stable communities of diverse plants, that is easy to plant vegetable
      seedlings, or fruit bush starts into and between.i am looking forward
      to consistently scattering all sorts of different types of seeds over
      my area, including herbs and forbes, grasses and dynamic accumulators
      such as those robert monie has listed in his previous posts. every
      day, i scatter one batch of seedballs, and separately at least a cup
      full of clover and legumes. i found out it's no good trying to put
      legumes into seedballs, they swell, and cracks and spoils your
      seedball. so i scatter legumes directly. any other seeds other than
      legumes will work in seedballs. i look forward and keep myself stocked
      with different types of seeds, diverse families of plants. this makes
      a sort of meadow that i really like, and it's fun to find new plant
      seeds. and over time, your better plants
      flourish under this kind of attention. i use my cutters alot and trim
      most of my out-of-control weed trees (such as wild cherry) to make
      them bushy more than tall (when a weed-tree seedling grows, after a
      year or so i'll cut it to the ground, and then when the suckers grow
      back i'll trim them to make it shorter and fuller for less over head
      shade since i already have enough tall trees right now.i want to have
      some more fruit trees, but i'm also trying to give my greed a rest. my
      goal is as many different
      plants as can grow in the least amount of space, be it weed or planted
      plant, but i want to achieve this goal at a steady, slow pace. i like
      my individual plant thick and full and healthy. fukuoka-san said to
      not distinguish among the plants, just make the garden a pleasant
      place for any plant to be. your goal is to have both weeds and
      productive plants, to stabilize, enrich, help each other out.

      in my wiry grass and aggressive rhizome areas, scattering clover and
      vetch in and around these
      will seem to contain or replace the growth. small soft weeds, medium
      and tall weeds each have many benefits, such as drawing insects,
      acting as nurse-plants, creating edge, and growing deep roots which
      feed the soil and draw up water and minerals, as well as being ready
      easy mulch and holding your soil together.
      the invasive, aggressive weeds (like honey suckle) i cut to the ground
      as much as possible (i never completely eradicate any species of
      plant) and use as mulch just right where or around where they fall. i
      cut them into pieces to make it easier to walk. i try to wait good and
      hard before i cut any weed, it may be the very thing that makes the
      garden "pop" better. but if i do, i only cut to the ground, not
      digging or pulling it up for no good reason. sometimes i replace a
      weed like dandelion with a tomato plant or something. then i eat the
      dandelion! i never use any pesticides or herbicides of any kind. in
      fact if a small insect infestation occurs, i only leave it completely
      alone in a kind of quarantine so the infestation can continue to it's
      natural end. by that time the offending insect's predator will have
      arrived to take care of the "problem". then the next year, i plant
      that particular veggie in a different spot. in my case those insects
      don't do as much damage on the plant the next year. sometimes weeds
      will act as a deterrent to infestations.

      when i plant a veg into the ground, i put straw around the plant to
      keep the weeds down around the plant. i may replenish this straw a
      couple of times until it is clear the plant can stand on it's own.

      with all this that i do, i still make many mistakes, sometimes
      repeatedly. over time, i am able to be more confident, remembering to
      consistently scatter seeds over and within any "problem" weeds, clover
      types being high on my list along with grasses, short, medium and
      tall. nature will then work itself out to form really rich and lovely
      cultures.
    • Matthew Minoprio
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2008
        Chickens in a Chicken tractor are my favourite weed control method. Sheet mulching can work well if the matterials are present (i.e. a huge amount of cardboard and or newspaper, if using old carpet must use carpet that has not been treated with fire retardant chemicals).