Re: [fukuoka_farming] Starting with NF

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
      Dear Nandan,
      Thanks for showing nice farm.You have seen Bhasker save's farm in UmerGavn
      Gujrat if not my sugestion first go there and see because he is growing lot
      of things with Coconuts naturally.He is also growing Paddy and other grains
      naturally.
      Raju Titus

      On 4/6/08, p_k_nandanan <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have added two photos of the land which I have purchased recently,
      > under the album - Natural Farm - Nandan Kerala India
      >
      > It is totally 5.8 acres of land and have cocunut, mango, teak and some
      > portions are paddy fields.
      >
      > I will be starting the NF activities, based on the knowledge I
      > acquired from reading Fukuoka san's books, knowledge acquired from
      > this group and discussions with other NF farmers.
      >
      > Here is what I would like to go about it, please give your valuable
      > suggestions.
      >
      > - As you can see, currently cocunut leaves are burnt by the previous
      > owner, which I have to stop completely
      > - Cocunut leaves will be used for mulching, which I am planning to
      > just scatter around the land. Typically, in this part of India, leaves
      > are just put on the base of the tree.
      > - There are lot of vacant spaces between the cocunut trees, and I am
      > planning to plant banana trees and also scatter the seeds of
      > vegetables (spinach,chilly,tomato,peas etc..). Monsoon is going to
      > start here in June and I will be doing the scattering only after the
      > first rain. I may have to local farmer's advice in selecting the seeds
      > for the season.
      >
      > Not sure how to start with paddy since there are lot of grass here and
      > just sowing the paddy over this may not be o.k. Other option is to
      > scatter some daincha (Sesbania sesban) seeds and when they grow, cut
      > and mulch it over the grass and then sow the paddy seeds.
      >
      > Please give your valuable suggestions.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Nandan
      > Kerala,India

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
        Dear Rajuji,

        Thanks for the response.

        I haven't visisted Bhaskar Save's farm but have read
        about his farm from Ashok Sanghavi's book - "The way
        to health, wealth and happiness". Definitely I would
        like to visit his farm, but it may take some more time
        for me since it is far..

        Bhaskar Save gets one of the best yield in cocunut,
        around 400 cocunts per year from each tree.

        Regards,
        Nandan

      • Venkat Iyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
          Dear Nandan,
          Congratulations on your new farm and am sure you will do well. I wished to
          make only one suggestion to you. Do not plant banana near the coconut trees.
          You will find the yield of coconuts going down. They do not get along well.
          As per my knowledge its something to do with potassium which is taken in
          large quantities by banana and the lack of which causes problems in coconut
          water retention. So it may be a good idea to refrain from mixing banana and
          coconut.
          As for the dried leaves around trees it is an excellent idea. The best
          results would be achieved if you dig a half circle trench one meter away
          from the base of the tree, fill it and cover it. The next season the other
          half of the circle should be used to fill and cover. This will also help you
          in reducing mite problems in coconuts.
          When it comes to rice the thing gets a lot more complicated than they seem.
          I have tried dispersing rice without tilling and the results have not been
          very encouraging. I am still trying to get the right combination so I get
          the right results. Everything depends on your local conditions and only you
          can arrive at the ideal combination on your farm. The basic principle of
          Fukuoka remain but finding the right way at your farm will take time.
          Besides trying out different ways, I also grow a small area where I till the
          land and sow rice (disperse method ) for our personal consumption. That way
          at least you have some rice to eat while you are working towards finding the
          right combination.
          My experience is that the rainfall in your area, the soil, the gradient of
          your land, the type of grass on your field, the timing of your sowing and
          most important the seed you choose will determine your success. Since its
          your first year I would suggest you opt for a sturdy local variety which is
          not too long duration and of course not hybrid and you will see reasonable
          results. It may be a good idea to cut the grass on the field now and let it
          lie for a month in the sun and then disperse the seeds when the rain
          arrives.
          I do hope my experiences will help you and wish you all the best. Please do
          keep me updated on your experiences.
          ps. Have tried to pull a rake over the land and put the seeds in the small
          gap created. Gives better results.

          Venkat Iyer
          203, Madhyam Society,
          M G Road, Goregaon (West),
          Mumbai - 400 062
          India
          Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
          (Mob) : 9869269067
          (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

        • D.F. Naber
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
            My name is Dillon. Check out the photos from our workshop. I'm the tall guy...:)

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
              Hi Dillion,

              I would like to talk to you on the NF experience. I
              will be able to use some of this, in my new land.
              Currently I am in Newark, California as part of my job
              and will be here for another 1 month.

              Let me know your contact number, I can give you a call
              over the weekend.

              My hotel number - 510.657.4600 Room number - 226

              Regards,
              Nandan