Starting with NF

  • p_k_nandanan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2008
      Hi All,

      I have added two photos of the land which I have purchased recently,
      under the album - Natural Farm - Nandan Kerala India

      It is totally 5.8 acres of land and have cocunut, mango, teak and some
      portions are paddy fields.

      I will be starting the NF activities, based on the knowledge I
      acquired from reading Fukuoka san's books, knowledge acquired from
      this group and discussions with other NF farmers.

      Here is what I would like to go about it, please give your valuable
      suggestions.

      - As you can see, currently cocunut leaves are burnt by the previous
      owner, which I have to stop completely
      - Cocunut leaves will be used for mulching, which I am planning to
      just scatter around the land. Typically, in this part of India, leaves
      are just put on the base of the tree.
      - There are lot of vacant spaces between the cocunut trees, and I am
      planning to plant banana trees and also scatter the seeds of
      vegetables (spinach,chilly,tomato,peas etc..). Monsoon is going to
      start here in June and I will be doing the scattering only after the
      first rain. I may have to local farmer's advice in selecting the seeds
      for the season.

      Not sure how to start with paddy since there are lot of grass here and
      just sowing the paddy over this may not be o.k. Other option is to
      scatter some daincha (Sesbania sesban) seeds and when they grow, cut
      and mulch it over the grass and then sow the paddy seeds.

      Please give your valuable suggestions.

      Regards,
      Nandan
      Kerala,India
    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
        DEAR NANDAN,
        CONGRATULATIONS.
        First for land and second for choosing best way of farming.
        I am going to see your land.
        Thanks
        Raju

        On 4/6/08, p_k_nandanan <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have added two photos of the land which I have purchased recently,
        > under the album - Natural Farm - Nandan Kerala India
        >
        > It is totally 5.8 acres of land and have cocunut, mango, teak and some
        > portions are paddy fields.
        >
        > I will be starting the NF activities, based on the knowledge I
        > acquired from reading Fukuoka san's books, knowledge acquired from
        > this group and discussions with other NF farmers.
        >
        > Here is what I would like to go about it, please give your valuable
        > suggestions.
        >
        > - As you can see, currently cocunut leaves are burnt by the previous
        > owner, which I have to stop completely
        > - Cocunut leaves will be used for mulching, which I am planning to
        > just scatter around the land. Typically, in this part of India, leaves
        > are just put on the base of the tree.
        > - There are lot of vacant spaces between the cocunut trees, and I am
        > planning to plant banana trees and also scatter the seeds of
        > vegetables (spinach,chilly,tomato,peas etc..). Monsoon is going to
        > start here in June and I will be doing the scattering only after the
        > first rain. I may have to local farmer's advice in selecting the seeds
        > for the season.
        >
        > Not sure how to start with paddy since there are lot of grass here and
        > just sowing the paddy over this may not be o.k. Other option is to
        > scatter some daincha (Sesbania sesban) seeds and when they grow, cut
        > and mulch it over the grass and then sow the paddy seeds.
        >
        > Please give your valuable suggestions.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Nandan
        > Kerala,India

      • Raju Titus
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
          Dear Nandan,
          Thanks for showing nice farm.You have seen Bhasker save's farm in UmerGavn
          Gujrat if not my sugestion first go there and see because he is growing lot
          of things with Coconuts naturally.He is also growing Paddy and other grains
          naturally.
          Raju Titus

          On 4/6/08, p_k_nandanan <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I have added two photos of the land which I have purchased recently,
          > under the album - Natural Farm - Nandan Kerala India
          >
          > It is totally 5.8 acres of land and have cocunut, mango, teak and some
          > portions are paddy fields.
          >
          > I will be starting the NF activities, based on the knowledge I
          > acquired from reading Fukuoka san's books, knowledge acquired from
          > this group and discussions with other NF farmers.
          >
          > Here is what I would like to go about it, please give your valuable
          > suggestions.
          >
          > - As you can see, currently cocunut leaves are burnt by the previous
          > owner, which I have to stop completely
          > - Cocunut leaves will be used for mulching, which I am planning to
          > just scatter around the land. Typically, in this part of India, leaves
          > are just put on the base of the tree.
          > - There are lot of vacant spaces between the cocunut trees, and I am
          > planning to plant banana trees and also scatter the seeds of
          > vegetables (spinach,chilly,tomato,peas etc..). Monsoon is going to
          > start here in June and I will be doing the scattering only after the
          > first rain. I may have to local farmer's advice in selecting the seeds
          > for the season.
          >
          > Not sure how to start with paddy since there are lot of grass here and
          > just sowing the paddy over this may not be o.k. Other option is to
          > scatter some daincha (Sesbania sesban) seeds and when they grow, cut
          > and mulch it over the grass and then sow the paddy seeds.
          >
          > Please give your valuable suggestions.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nandan
          > Kerala,India

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
            Dear Rajuji,

            Thanks for the response.

            I haven't visisted Bhaskar Save's farm but have read
            about his farm from Ashok Sanghavi's book - "The way
            to health, wealth and happiness". Definitely I would
            like to visit his farm, but it may take some more time
            for me since it is far..

            Bhaskar Save gets one of the best yield in cocunut,
            around 400 cocunts per year from each tree.

            Regards,
            Nandan

          • Venkat Iyer
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
              Dear Nandan,
              Congratulations on your new farm and am sure you will do well. I wished to
              make only one suggestion to you. Do not plant banana near the coconut trees.
              You will find the yield of coconuts going down. They do not get along well.
              As per my knowledge its something to do with potassium which is taken in
              large quantities by banana and the lack of which causes problems in coconut
              water retention. So it may be a good idea to refrain from mixing banana and
              coconut.
              As for the dried leaves around trees it is an excellent idea. The best
              results would be achieved if you dig a half circle trench one meter away
              from the base of the tree, fill it and cover it. The next season the other
              half of the circle should be used to fill and cover. This will also help you
              in reducing mite problems in coconuts.
              When it comes to rice the thing gets a lot more complicated than they seem.
              I have tried dispersing rice without tilling and the results have not been
              very encouraging. I am still trying to get the right combination so I get
              the right results. Everything depends on your local conditions and only you
              can arrive at the ideal combination on your farm. The basic principle of
              Fukuoka remain but finding the right way at your farm will take time.
              Besides trying out different ways, I also grow a small area where I till the
              land and sow rice (disperse method ) for our personal consumption. That way
              at least you have some rice to eat while you are working towards finding the
              right combination.
              My experience is that the rainfall in your area, the soil, the gradient of
              your land, the type of grass on your field, the timing of your sowing and
              most important the seed you choose will determine your success. Since its
              your first year I would suggest you opt for a sturdy local variety which is
              not too long duration and of course not hybrid and you will see reasonable
              results. It may be a good idea to cut the grass on the field now and let it
              lie for a month in the sun and then disperse the seeds when the rain
              arrives.
              I do hope my experiences will help you and wish you all the best. Please do
              keep me updated on your experiences.
              ps. Have tried to pull a rake over the land and put the seeds in the small
              gap created. Gives better results.

              Venkat Iyer
              203, Madhyam Society,
              M G Road, Goregaon (West),
              Mumbai - 400 062
              India
              Tel (Res) : 91-22-28728169
              (Mob) : 9869269067
              (Farm) : 91-2528-690182

            • D.F. Naber
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
                My name is Dillon. Check out the photos from our workshop. I'm the tall guy...:)

              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
                  Hi Dillion,

                  I would like to talk to you on the NF experience. I
                  will be able to use some of this, in my new land.
                  Currently I am in Newark, California as part of my job
                  and will be here for another 1 month.

                  Let me know your contact number, I can give you a call
                  over the weekend.

                  My hotel number - 510.657.4600 Room number - 226

                  Regards,
                  Nandan