Re: Weeds?!

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5 11:11 AM
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "claytonbergman"
      <claytonbergman@...> wrote:

      > What methods are successful at controlling weeds in your area without
      > resorting to cultivation, herbicides, or chemicals both synthetic and
      > organic?

      my favorite control method is the lawn mower lol,...
      pretty much kills everything except grass and clover,
      and I don't mind the clover...
    • robin
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6 12:51 PM
        <claytonbergman@...> wrote:

        > What methods are successful at controlling weeds in your area without
        > resorting to cultivation, herbicides, or chemicals both synthetic and
        > organic?

        for my garden, scattering cover crop seeds (or enough of any kind of
        seeds of what i want to plant, in my case this season it's native and
        cereal grasses, small legumes, brassicas, salad species, etc.) into
        the weeds consistently over several seasons has eventually turned my
        area( about 1/2 acre) into constantly changing but at the same time
        more and more
        stable communities of diverse plants, that is easy to plant vegetable
        seedlings, or fruit bush starts into and between.i am looking forward
        to consistently scattering all sorts of different types of seeds over
        my area, including herbs and forbes, grasses and dynamic accumulators
        such as those robert monie has listed in his previous posts. every
        day, i scatter one batch of seedballs, and separately at least a cup
        full of clover and legumes. i found out it's no good trying to put
        legumes into seedballs, they swell, and cracks and spoils your
        seedball. so i scatter legumes directly. any other seeds other than
        legumes will work in seedballs. i look forward and keep myself stocked
        with different types of seeds, diverse families of plants. this makes
        a sort of meadow that i really like, and it's fun to find new plant
        seeds. and over time, your better plants
        flourish under this kind of attention. i use my cutters alot and trim
        most of my out-of-control weed trees (such as wild cherry) to make
        them bushy more than tall (when a weed-tree seedling grows, after a
        year or so i'll cut it to the ground, and then when the suckers grow
        back i'll trim them to make it shorter and fuller for less over head
        shade since i already have enough tall trees right now.i want to have
        some more fruit trees, but i'm also trying to give my greed a rest. my
        goal is as many different
        plants as can grow in the least amount of space, be it weed or planted
        plant, but i want to achieve this goal at a steady, slow pace. i like
        my individual plant thick and full and healthy. fukuoka-san said to
        not distinguish among the plants, just make the garden a pleasant
        place for any plant to be. your goal is to have both weeds and
        productive plants, to stabilize, enrich, help each other out.

        in my wiry grass and aggressive rhizome areas, scattering clover and
        vetch in and around these
        will seem to contain or replace the growth. small soft weeds, medium
        and tall weeds each have many benefits, such as drawing insects,
        acting as nurse-plants, creating edge, and growing deep roots which
        feed the soil and draw up water and minerals, as well as being ready
        easy mulch and holding your soil together.
        the invasive, aggressive weeds (like honey suckle) i cut to the ground
        as much as possible (i never completely eradicate any species of
        plant) and use as mulch just right where or around where they fall. i
        cut them into pieces to make it easier to walk. i try to wait good and
        hard before i cut any weed, it may be the very thing that makes the
        garden "pop" better. but if i do, i only cut to the ground, not
        digging or pulling it up for no good reason. sometimes i replace a
        weed like dandelion with a tomato plant or something. then i eat the
        dandelion! i never use any pesticides or herbicides of any kind. in
        fact if a small insect infestation occurs, i only leave it completely
        alone in a kind of quarantine so the infestation can continue to it's
        natural end. by that time the offending insect's predator will have
        arrived to take care of the "problem". then the next year, i plant
        that particular veggie in a different spot. in my case those insects
        don't do as much damage on the plant the next year. sometimes weeds
        will act as a deterrent to infestations.

        when i plant a veg into the ground, i put straw around the plant to
        keep the weeds down around the plant. i may replenish this straw a
        couple of times until it is clear the plant can stand on it's own.

        with all this that i do, i still make many mistakes, sometimes
        repeatedly. over time, i am able to be more confident, remembering to
        consistently scatter seeds over and within any "problem" weeds, clover
        types being high on my list along with grasses, short, medium and
        tall. nature will then work itself out to form really rich and lovely
        cultures.
      • Matthew Minoprio
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6 6:40 PM
          Chickens in a Chicken tractor are my favourite weed control method. Sheet mulching can work well if the matterials are present (i.e. a huge amount of cardboard and or newspaper, if using old carpet must use carpet that has not been treated with fire retardant chemicals).