Re: [fukuoka_farming] Weeds?!

  • Bernhard Heuvel
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5 10:16 AM
      Hi,

      I threw the word "weed" out of my language. Every negative feedback is a
      lesson by nature.

      Look for the reasons for the negative feedback. Don't be satisfied with
      solutions you have to buy. Or solutions that kill, rather than give birth.

      I plant perennial plants and trees. Than biannual plants. Annuals I
      plant in pots and buckets. No weed control necessary. I can do that,
      because I do it small-scale. If kept on a small scale everything works
      out better.

      Regards,

      Bernhard
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5 11:11 AM
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "claytonbergman"
        <claytonbergman@...> wrote:

        > What methods are successful at controlling weeds in your area without
        > resorting to cultivation, herbicides, or chemicals both synthetic and
        > organic?

        my favorite control method is the lawn mower lol,...
        pretty much kills everything except grass and clover,
        and I don't mind the clover...
      • robin
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6 12:51 PM
          <claytonbergman@...> wrote:

          > What methods are successful at controlling weeds in your area without
          > resorting to cultivation, herbicides, or chemicals both synthetic and
          > organic?

          for my garden, scattering cover crop seeds (or enough of any kind of
          seeds of what i want to plant, in my case this season it's native and
          cereal grasses, small legumes, brassicas, salad species, etc.) into
          the weeds consistently over several seasons has eventually turned my
          area( about 1/2 acre) into constantly changing but at the same time
          more and more
          stable communities of diverse plants, that is easy to plant vegetable
          seedlings, or fruit bush starts into and between.i am looking forward
          to consistently scattering all sorts of different types of seeds over
          my area, including herbs and forbes, grasses and dynamic accumulators
          such as those robert monie has listed in his previous posts. every
          day, i scatter one batch of seedballs, and separately at least a cup
          full of clover and legumes. i found out it's no good trying to put
          legumes into seedballs, they swell, and cracks and spoils your
          seedball. so i scatter legumes directly. any other seeds other than
          legumes will work in seedballs. i look forward and keep myself stocked
          with different types of seeds, diverse families of plants. this makes
          a sort of meadow that i really like, and it's fun to find new plant
          seeds. and over time, your better plants
          flourish under this kind of attention. i use my cutters alot and trim
          most of my out-of-control weed trees (such as wild cherry) to make
          them bushy more than tall (when a weed-tree seedling grows, after a
          year or so i'll cut it to the ground, and then when the suckers grow
          back i'll trim them to make it shorter and fuller for less over head
          shade since i already have enough tall trees right now.i want to have
          some more fruit trees, but i'm also trying to give my greed a rest. my
          goal is as many different
          plants as can grow in the least amount of space, be it weed or planted
          plant, but i want to achieve this goal at a steady, slow pace. i like
          my individual plant thick and full and healthy. fukuoka-san said to
          not distinguish among the plants, just make the garden a pleasant
          place for any plant to be. your goal is to have both weeds and
          productive plants, to stabilize, enrich, help each other out.

          in my wiry grass and aggressive rhizome areas, scattering clover and
          vetch in and around these
          will seem to contain or replace the growth. small soft weeds, medium
          and tall weeds each have many benefits, such as drawing insects,
          acting as nurse-plants, creating edge, and growing deep roots which
          feed the soil and draw up water and minerals, as well as being ready
          easy mulch and holding your soil together.
          the invasive, aggressive weeds (like honey suckle) i cut to the ground
          as much as possible (i never completely eradicate any species of
          plant) and use as mulch just right where or around where they fall. i
          cut them into pieces to make it easier to walk. i try to wait good and
          hard before i cut any weed, it may be the very thing that makes the
          garden "pop" better. but if i do, i only cut to the ground, not
          digging or pulling it up for no good reason. sometimes i replace a
          weed like dandelion with a tomato plant or something. then i eat the
          dandelion! i never use any pesticides or herbicides of any kind. in
          fact if a small insect infestation occurs, i only leave it completely
          alone in a kind of quarantine so the infestation can continue to it's
          natural end. by that time the offending insect's predator will have
          arrived to take care of the "problem". then the next year, i plant
          that particular veggie in a different spot. in my case those insects
          don't do as much damage on the plant the next year. sometimes weeds
          will act as a deterrent to infestations.

          when i plant a veg into the ground, i put straw around the plant to
          keep the weeds down around the plant. i may replenish this straw a
          couple of times until it is clear the plant can stand on it's own.

          with all this that i do, i still make many mistakes, sometimes
          repeatedly. over time, i am able to be more confident, remembering to
          consistently scatter seeds over and within any "problem" weeds, clover
          types being high on my list along with grasses, short, medium and
          tall. nature will then work itself out to form really rich and lovely
          cultures.
        • Matthew Minoprio
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6 6:40 PM
            Chickens in a Chicken tractor are my favourite weed control method. Sheet mulching can work well if the matterials are present (i.e. a huge amount of cardboard and or newspaper, if using old carpet must use carpet that has not been treated with fire retardant chemicals).