Re: [fukuoka_farming] More details please, Anders

  • Anders Skarlind
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16 5:10 AM
      Hello Jeff
      Spring is a fairly dry season here, that's a difference. But apart
      from that there are many similarities between our growing conditions,
      as it seems.

      In natural farming you have probably come longer than I have.
      Basically I am a seed saver and household gardener. I worked at a
      farm long time ago. I have been growing grains in my household garden
      in very small scale. I will pick that up again when time allows.
      Grain is a good rotation crop in a veggie garden.

      One thing that has handicapped my learning of natural farming is that
      the plot I have been growing the longest time is really very
      difficult to grow by any method. It is a poorly drained clay soil in
      north-east orientation (the coldest possible) with almost no late
      afternoon or evening sun (which is typically the warmest sun here). I
      have only gradually understood the problems with this growing
      situation. (I noticed Raju said that good drainage is necessary for
      successful natural farming.)

      I have also been growing in other locations. I am fairly successful
      when I get a decent field to borrow, but those opportunities have
      only lasted a few years each and haven't quite involved the
      possibility to do something in the vein of natural farming.

      What I have found working that may be a little bit on the way to
      natural farming is this:

      I use mulch but not thickly. I don't use mulch to suppress weeds
      (more than marginally) but I use mulch to shade the soil, conserve
      water, aid living organisms in the soil, and supplying some nutrients
      and organic matter.

      I let leguminous plants, that I have originally sown, self-sow in the garden.

      I weed selectively. I only weed out weeds that compete to strongly. I
      keep weeds that I like and the ones that I regard as beneficial. In
      the end of the growing season the left weeds plus self-sown
      leguminous plants can form a fair stand of companion plants. I
      imagine I could take-off from this by letting these companion
      plants/weeds stand till next season and so on. I have lost two such
      chances the last years because I had to leave those fields.

      In terms of perennials I only have a wilder form of traditional
      Swedish garden culture with trees, among them apple trees, and a few
      berry shrubs in a former lawn that now is more of a ley with grass
      and flowers (which are also perennials). With the apple trees I have
      tried to restore a central trunk, inspired by Fukuoka. Partial
      success there at least.

      The perennial garden forms the larger part of my garden, and is not
      really problematical. It is the kitchen garden and (sometimes) fields
      that are problematical (from an NF perspective and in other ways
      too), or in other words, the growing of annuals and biennials. BTW I
      see no big difference between annuals and biennials, as both kinds in
      food production are grown as annual cultures. The second year for the
      biennials is seed production and is something else.

      Well, that's not much. I wish I would have been more creative in this
      field, and that I would have had better growing conditions.

      But admittedly it has not been my main ambition to develop natural
      farming under Swedish conditions. I have been more preoccupied by
      saving and maintaining varieties. This comes with a need to keep some
      control of the layout of the sowings and plantings, and isn't quite
      in tune with typical natural farming practices like scattering seed
      mixtures, although combinations could in principle be possible.

      Regards
      Anders