Re: [fukuoka_farming] Buffalo gourd

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2008
      No sorry, don't know it.

      I just started my pumpkins and cucumbers in seedboxes today.
      Of the pumpkin seeds I have, there is only one oil-seed pumpkin,
      it is called Curcurbita pepo. The seeds don't have a shell and
      can be used in soups etc. The flesh can also be eaten, even
      though it is a little fibrous. My favourite pumpkins are Butternut,
      Muscat and Hokkaido pumpkin. They don't get very big, but
      have very firm flesh and can last for a year or longer.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal

      Jeff <shultonus@...> wrote:
      I think its too cold up here in ND to try,

      but I was wondering (Deiter maybe) if anyone tried growing
      buffalo gourd for the seeds or oil.
      It perrennial and adapted to the sw US deserts.. naitive kansas south,
      and west.

      Cucurbita foetidissima
      the fruit itself is horribly bitter, but the seeds are fine once
      cleaned, and high in oil >40% close to 50%

      ??