Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Cattle

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 3 8:35 AM
      Eat the poor?

      Carol wrote:

      > Personally, I believe that human nutrition cannot work in the long
      > term without animal foods, whether those animals be cattle, birds,
      > fish, insects, or whatever. A very interesting book on this topic is
      > Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price. I can't
      > recommend it highly enough.
      >
      > I also believe that having too many humans is THE core problem this
      > planet has right now. If there weren't so many of us, every mistake
      > we make wouldn't have such huge effects. Tribal Americans weren't
      > perfect in their relation to the earth, but there weren't enough of
      > them, in relation to the amount of land they had, for their mistakes
      > to cause lasting problems.
      >
      > What would Fukuoka say?
      >
      > Carol

    • Wendy
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 4 12:19 PM
        Hi all,
        I just need to briefly interject one point. While yes I agree there are too
        many people in the world, a bigger problem is overconsumption by the few in
        the so-called developed world, many of whom actually believe all this stuff
        is what they need and are used to, and our push to have the rest of the
        world desire and also be dependant on lots of our junk vs. meeting basic
        needs naturally and locally without destruction and disrespect.

        It is an important note, because it actually places blame and belittles the
        rest of the world and is usually us white folks or other from the "developed
        world" who focus it that way. Meanwhile we consume 40% of the world's
        resources and cause major environmental destruction, depletion, etc. etc.
        Someone told me that every one American born is equivalent to 10 individuals
        in terms of consumption, etc. I believe it.

        I find it important daily to question that which us privileged and spoiled
        believe to be reality in terms of needs, actions, thoughts, etc.

        thanks,
        peace,
        wendy