Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: accurate info Methane & Cattle

  • Don Graves
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2002
      accurate info? ...

      I shouldn't have been so quick to criticise before ...
      & I've sent the last message before a manual read spell check of 'athropogenic' -
      (not 'anthopogenic' as per my previous message)

      MOST anthropogenic (human activity derived ) methane gas is derived from
      domesticated ruminant animals that BELCH (NOT CRAP) METHANE

      Methane gas is generated by anaeobic methanogenic BACTERIA living inside
      ruminant stomachs
      uncaptured gases emitted from similar BACTERIA in animal & human waste
      treatment oxidation ponds

      I am not advocating for meat production (cattle, sheep, goat, horse or
      quite the contrary ...
      ... there is now serious research funding proposed to help support meat
      producers to modify pasture plant diets of production animals, & or to
      genetically modify or select for gastro-intestinal bacteria (eg. from
      kangaroos / wallabies) that will aim to produce less methane... This sounds
      like crazy control-freak stuff to me..
      just check & read the earth's long history of methanogens & other
      archaebacteria ...
      Methanogenic bacteria existied way way before photosynthetic bacteria, algae
      & plants poisoned the air with oxygen gas ...& forced them to escape & hide
      from oxygen rich environments, & live in anaerobic retreats like wet soils,
      pits & gastro intestinal tracts of insects & larger animals.