Robin's "Prairie Grasses"

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2008
      Robin,

      Do not shave your head and throw yourself into a volcano. Do not shave the grasses heads or throw them into a volcano either.

      Instead call Jody Booze-Daniels, grass researcher at Virginia Tech. Try 540-231-7175 or 540-320-1276. Her email is jodaniel@.... Tell me if this doesn't work and I will find her for you.

      She also has a couple of Web profile sites that you can easily google to. From what I've seen, Judy knows Virginia grasses and will tell you if what you ordered will grow where you live. She did a beautiful presentation you can google to if you enter the following words:
      (no quotation marks) Virginia Native Grasses and Flowers: Can They be grown from seed
      Jody Booze-Daniels

      You will see lovely photos of grasses growing there. Among them are Big bluestem, switchgrass and indiangrass. Ask Judy which of the grasses you ordered you should keep and which you should still secretly plant just to see what nature says.

      Why ask us? What do we know? I know how to grow malabar spinach and chayote squash in New Orleans. What do I know about grass in Virginia? About as much as an Arkansas hog knows about black holes in space and leptons in atoms.

      from the swamps of Louisiana

      Bob Monie
      Zone 8

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2008
        Hi Robin,

        Back in college I took several classes on restoring prairie....

        Big Blue and Little blue are bunch grasses
        Indian grass is half bunch half sod
        Switch grass is sod forming

        The side oats gramma and others are dry/short grass prairie grasses,
        IThe only grow 6-8" high.. I would be surprised if you saw them, ever...
        (they are all warm season grasses naitive to north amaerica)

        One thing to keep in mind is that warm season grasses take 2-3 years
        to establish.....
        Generally the first year you'll want to keep it mowed to 6"....
        and the second year you'll want to keep it mowed to 1'
        This is important in getting them enough sunlight, and keeping the
        cool season grasses at bay.....

        black eye susans, yellow cone flower, ox-eye, perrenial sunflowers,
        echinacia (purple cone flower), Wild senna (legume), illinois bundle
        flower (legume) will all by wonderful flowers to add to the prairie mix

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>