Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Diamond.... and the Agricultural sin

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
      > CEO's who make more in a day than their underlings ...

      This debate has been raging in Germany for years. It is more political
      than real and primarily driven by a "culture of envy." Before an election,
      political parties will suddenly, after 7 years in office, propose a special
      tax for the rich without saying how much such a move would bring to the
      public coffers. After the election, this is quickly forgotten since anybody
      who understands anything knows full well that such a tax doesn't bring
      any significant new tax income and is more likely than not to motivate
      those who are in a position to do so to put their money elsewhere.

      >In the context of Joel Salatin's EVERYTHING I WANT TO DO IS ILLEGAL,
      >in many respects it's illegal to step outside of the corporate frame
      >work in the developed world....

      Ah, it's the corporate bad guys again!? From the piece by Joel that
      was circulated on the web under the same title I think it has more to
      do with burocracies and our society's demand on politics to provide
      for each and every mishap the can occur during our lifetime, which
      invariably leads to a regulated society that prohibits everything I
      want to do too.

      >while I support European Unions protections for artisan products, at
      >the same time it debilitates others from sealing similar products..

      German beer, French wines, Italian cheese and many other local
      products have a tradition that reaches back hundreds of years.
      Why destroy such traditions in the name of free trade?
      Companies are known to have created new brands.

      >Ihave a strong sense that local food will be the next "organic", a
      >system to encourage this would be helpful...

      It's been in the news for some time and protectionist politicians
      are bound to jump on the bandwagon. There is no reason to
      assume that it would be easier to regulate local than to certify
      organic.

      And as Confucius said, if there is a way around it the trickster
      will find it in no time (The Banalects, Vol. 3, Chapter 5, Paragraph
      7.2)

      Dieter