Question - cat tails

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
      I want to grow some cat tails to clear up the water in our creek. Do I
      need to buy plants or seed? Where can I get them? Thanks, Peg
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2008
        Cattail seeds or plants would be a waste of money....

        Just find some, harvest the seeds and sprout, then plant.
        Or better yet, dig up one of the root masses, and plant that.

        The problem of course, is that cattails may not be able to handle the
        stream if it has much current at all.

        A small dam, might be enough to slow the current to allow the growth,
        and since, residence time is the imporant factor in cleaning up the
        stream in question this would double the effectiveness of the plants.

        .. something like big river bulrush, or Burr Reed,
        might hold up to current better, these are rarer plants and you should
        order the root stock of these...

        green ash, and willows will also help in reducing the nutrients before
        they reach the stream

        willows can of course be planted right into the stream to hold the
        banks better.

        I would advise caution planting cattails where they don't currently
        grow...

        adding a small riffle area with rocks would oxygenate the water and
        help clear it up as well.

        How big of area are you talking about?