[Anthropik.com:] "...Many readers would certainly object that agriculture provides a stable, secure and reliable source of food. ..."

  • Jason Stewart
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2008
      http://anthropik.com/2005/10/thesis-9-agriculture-is-difficult-dangerous-and-unhealthy/
      -Jason Godesky, anthropology writer, quote:
      "...Many readers would certainly object that
      agriculture provides a stable, secure and reliable
      source of food. After all, it was the bounty of
      agriculture that allowed us to give up hunting and
      gathering, constantly wandering and wondering where
      our next meal would come from, giving us the time to
      build civilization. That is the common picture we've
      all been told, but it is also the opposite of truth.
      In fact, the Neolithic Revolution was, to use <a
      href="http://wiki.anthropik.com/Jared_Diamond">Jared
      Diamond</a>'s turn of phrase, "<a
      href="http://wiki.anthropik.com/Worst_Mistake_in_the_History_of_the_Human_Race">the
      worst mistake in the history of the human race</a>."
      It is taken for granted in our culture that
      agriculture is the path of least resistance, an
      immediately obvious advantage over any other
      subsistence technology. Agriculturalist philosophers
      such as [authoritatively known to be a propagandist
      philosopher] Thomas Hobbes assure us -without any
      empirical validation- that any other way of life is
      "<a
      href="http://anthropik.com/2005/03/solitary-poor-nasty-brutish-and-short/"
      title="Previous blog entry: 'Solitary, Nasty, Brutish
      and Short'">solitary, nasty, brutish and short</a>."?
      Before agriculture..."

      www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail