"The Worst Mistake In The History Of The Human Race" Discover May 1987 pp. 64-66

  • macropneuma
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
    • parmbir
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
        Besides malnutrition, starvation, and epidemic diseases, farming
        helped bring another curse upon humanity: deep class divisions. Hunter-
        gatherers have little or no stored food, and no concentrated food
        sources, like an orchard or a herd of cows: they live off the wild
        plants and animals they obtain each day. Therefore, there can be no
        kings, no class of social parasites who grow fat on food seized from
        others.
        It is true but is it going to happen ever?
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "macropneuma"
        <macropneuma@...> wrote:

        > http://ecr.lausd.k12.ca.us/staff/fbeerstein/Diamond,%20The%20Worst%
        20Mistake.doc

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
          For those interested in these issues..
          So also: Against the Grain by Richard Manning...
          a great book, despite being over-shadowed by Diamond's award wining
          modern classic.
          Diamond's new book, Collapse also provides threads related....

          THere have been hunter-gather populations with deep class divisions:
          Specifically, the acorn harvesters on coastal California and the
          Salmon people of Coastal Washington. THese of course are two
          hunter-gathering society that required storage of an overly abundant
          seasonal food source. Perhaps it is the storage of primary food that
          leads to class divisions.....

          And interestingly, one of the pre-incan civilizations had a
          agricultual mixed community with very weak class divisions, and the
          anthropoligist credit it with an advanced society with no hunger.

          At this point, above and beyond social divisions brought forth with
          agriculture., I see the neo-coporate world as even more derisive.

          CEO's who make more in a day than their underlings make in a year, and
          salaries that are not linked to productivity or performance in any
          way.. ie severance packages for fired executives.....
          And their increasing control over minutia of everday life...

          In the context of Joel Salatin's EVERYTHING I WANT TO DO IS ILLEGAL,
          in many respects it's illegal to step outside of the corporate frame
          work in the developed world....
          while I support European Unions protections for artisan products, at
          the same time it debilitates others from sealing similar products..
          So if I have 'parmasean' style cheese and I don't live in Parma.. what
          do I actually call my cheese>??.. While I respect and agree with the
          protections granted to the Parma cheese makers, their must be an
          alternative language for those selling a very similar product....

          I've been thinking.... here in the US we could really benefit largely
          from an ARTISAN label as well, ei small scale value added producers
          that can't meet the rigorous demands of the usda, but can easily meet
          scientific standards for cleanliness under alternative models of
          production...

          Ihave a strong sense that local food will be the next "organic", a
          system to encourage this would be helpful...
          and more importantly, what have these consetious producers learned
          from the organic label debacle....

          > Besides malnutrition, starvation, and epidemic diseases, farming
          > helped bring another curse upon humanity: deep class divisions. Hunter-
          > gatherers have little or no stored food, and no concentrated food
          > sources, like an orchard or a herd of cows: they live off the wild
          > plants and animals they obtain each day. Therefore, there can be no
          > kings, no class of social parasites who grow fat on food seized from
          > others.
          > It is true but is it going to happen ever?
          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "macropneuma"
          > <macropneuma@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://ecr.lausd.k12.ca.us/staff/fbeerstein/Diamond,%20The%20Worst%
          > 20Mistake.doc

        • Dieter Brand
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008
            > CEO's who make more in a day than their underlings ...

            This debate has been raging in Germany for years. It is more political
            than real and primarily driven by a "culture of envy." Before an election,
            political parties will suddenly, after 7 years in office, propose a special
            tax for the rich without saying how much such a move would bring to the
            public coffers. After the election, this is quickly forgotten since anybody
            who understands anything knows full well that such a tax doesn't bring
            any significant new tax income and is more likely than not to motivate
            those who are in a position to do so to put their money elsewhere.

            >In the context of Joel Salatin's EVERYTHING I WANT TO DO IS ILLEGAL,
            >in many respects it's illegal to step outside of the corporate frame
            >work in the developed world....

            Ah, it's the corporate bad guys again!? From the piece by Joel that
            was circulated on the web under the same title I think it has more to
            do with burocracies and our society's demand on politics to provide
            for each and every mishap the can occur during our lifetime, which
            invariably leads to a regulated society that prohibits everything I
            want to do too.

            >while I support European Unions protections for artisan products, at
            >the same time it debilitates others from sealing similar products..

            German beer, French wines, Italian cheese and many other local
            products have a tradition that reaches back hundreds of years.
            Why destroy such traditions in the name of free trade?
            Companies are known to have created new brands.

            >Ihave a strong sense that local food will be the next "organic", a
            >system to encourage this would be helpful...

            It's been in the news for some time and protectionist politicians
            are bound to jump on the bandwagon. There is no reason to
            assume that it would be easier to regulate local than to certify
            organic.

            And as Confucius said, if there is a way around it the trickster
            will find it in no time (The Banalects, Vol. 3, Chapter 5, Paragraph
            7.2)

            Dieter