Re: [fukuoka_farming] The 4 Translators of "One Straw Revolution"

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2008
      Bob,

      Thanks for those clarifications. Strange though, some of the text sounds
      as if the translator never got his hand dirty. Or are there different versions
      of the translation, I got the one that was uploaded by Jamie to the home
      page.

      Dieter

      Robert Monie <bobm20001@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      The three translators who produced the English version of "One Straw Revolution" are
      Chris Pearce, Tsune Kurosawa, and Larry Korn. They are listed on one of the frontsheets, even in the Indian pirate edition. Tsune Kurosawa is active in land reclamation projects in Greece today and Larry runs a successful landscaping business in Berkeley, CA. I don't know much about Chris. Wendell Berry, who wrote some introductory words to the text and is an accomplished farmer as well essayist and poet, also played a hand in the final version of the English translation. I understand that these 4 "englished" the book gratis; that is, as a gift to Fukuoka without receiving any fees for their services.

      There is no reason to believe that Fukuoka's later self-published book was intended as a translation of One Straw Revolution. Much of the material is quite different. It was evidently intended as a later commentary on Fukuoka's philosophy, a "recapitulation" and re-consideration rather than a re-translation of an older book.

      Bob Monie
      New Orleans, LA
      Zone 8