Re: [fukuoka_farming] KILLING TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE

  • Bernhard Heuvel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
      Hi Robert,

      Robert Monie wrote:

      >> ...fields are so depleted of minerals that they have to
      >> be imported via compost or clay powder for a while
      >> before they are fit to support substantial food plant
      >> growth.

      Sorry for just copy&paste things in here from another mailinglist, but I
      think it fits in:

      I'd wish, there are even more and more trees planted! There's nothing better than planting trees, for the health of the water is depending on the trees' shade.

      Shading of the soil lowers it's temperature. If the soil's temperature is lower than the rain's temperature, the rainwater goes into the soil.

      If the soil is warmer than the rain, the rainwater can't get into the soil and is flushed along the surface.

      The water sinks into soil until it reaches 4°C. (Not just until it reaches solid rock!)

      Reaching the 4°C the water builds the water table. By shading the soil the temperature of the water reaches the 4°C faster, so the water table is rised when the soil is shaded. So if you want to rise the water table, shade the soil.

      The groundwater lays there in the ground for "ripening". And through gas releasing and more rainfall it builds up a steady up and down stream! By rising the water table the exchange is lively and steady. By lowering the water table the exchange is slow and stops, thus creating deserts and low-fertile soils.

      This up and down flow means exchange of minerals, thus mineralizing the soil, thus keeping the soil healthy.

      A healthy and fertile soil means healthy plants!

      Healthy plants means healthy animals, mammals and of course healthy bees!

      You can't do a better thing, than planting trees. Thus shading the soil and thus providing health for the whole Earth.

      Regards,

      Bernhard Heuvel