Re: [fukuoka_farming]

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2001
      Hello again Terry,

      I had the same problem trying to get a copy of Fukuoka's books. Finally
      solved the problem by going to the local public library with a pocket full
      of coins and photocopying most of the books. For what it's worth, this is
      legal under the "fair use" rules because of the existing conditions -
      out-of-print, unable to purchase used, for personal non-commercial use......
      etc.

      As to plastic mulch, screens, etc., as Chas Baudelaire pointed out, none of
      that is part of "natural farming as stated by Fukuoka." So the answer to
      your questions depend on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are
      simply trying to grow something desirable on your patch of land then you can
      do or use anything you think will work. It's your land so it's your rules.
      On the other hand, if you are trying to experience what Fukuoka describes as
      happening when you practice his method of farming then that is a totally
      different situation.

      For the last few weeks I have been reading and re-reading Fukuoka's book
      "The Natural Way of Farming." In fact, I'm in the midst of a dialog with the
      book in the sense that I write comments and thoughts about the different
      statements he makes. Some I agree with, some I don't. The objective of this
      analysis is to come to understand not only what he is saying, but also the
      arguments he uses to support his statements.

      To make a long story short, the really hard part of following his method is
      the need to commit an act of faith and stick to it. The method itself is so
      simple that most people will have a hard time accepting it and will try to
      tinker with it (plastic, tilling, etc.). but the really hard part, the part
      where most people will cop out, is in truly letting go of the reins of
      control (self-deluding as they are) and in accepting whatever nature does
      for the next three years. Three years because that is how long it will take,
      according to Fukuoka, for an environment to naturalize and settle itself in
      so to speak if you follow his methods. The only activities we normally
      associate with gardening/farming that you actually get to do is spread some
      seeds/seedballs, harvest edibles, and if part of what you are harvesting is
      grains then you get to spread the unchopped stalks back over the field. The
      rest of your time can be spent watching and learning from what nature is
      doing on your patch of dirt.

      Hope all of this is of some use to you.

      Larry Haftl
      Journalist * Photographer * Videographer
      www.LarryHaftl.com