Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: natives/non-natives

  • Rex Teague
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 1, 2002
      blugra wrote:

      > This brings up the whole discussion of natives and the import of
      > other non-native species. I assumed that the Fukoka techniques
      > support the establisment of native species and avoiding
      > introduction of non-native. However I do realize that in my
      > little home garden which is the only place I get to try out
      > Fukoka's ideas I am using non-native vegetables and fruits.

      Not a reasonable assumption in my opinion. 8-]

      An article in New Zealand's "Growing Today" helped clarify my
      thinking on this dichotomy. The essence (from memory, I don't have
      the article at hand) was there are three processive categories of
      landscape/gardening ie
      1. Wilderness
      2. Productive
      3. Artistic

      The article traced the historic recognition of the first two. Fukuoka fits
      into the productive/farming arena where I would put myself - giving
      due weight to the natural processes of the wilderness.

      The third type is a more recent development where gardening is a
      highly structured artistic endeavour which has little consideration of
      plants in their natural/native habitat - for example a suburban flower
      garden. Gardening in this manner was likened to creating an artwork
      certainly different to my more productive purpose.

      HTH... Rex
    • Wendy
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 4, 2002
        Hi all,
        I just need to briefly interject one point. While yes I agree there are too
        many people in the world, a bigger problem is overconsumption by the few in
        the so-called developed world, many of whom actually believe all this stuff
        is what they need and are used to, and our push to have the rest of the
        world desire and also be dependant on lots of our junk vs. meeting basic
        needs naturally and locally without destruction and disrespect.

        It is an important note, because it actually places blame and belittles the
        rest of the world and is usually us white folks or other from the "developed
        world" who focus it that way. Meanwhile we consume 40% of the world's
        resources and cause major environmental destruction, depletion, etc. etc.
        Someone told me that every one American born is equivalent to 10 individuals
        in terms of consumption, etc. I believe it.

        I find it important daily to question that which us privileged and spoiled
        believe to be reality in terms of needs, actions, thoughts, etc.

        thanks,
        peace,
        wendy