Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Perennial Polyculture Farming

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2008
      You're right, Chenopodium bonus-henricus or "Good King Henry" is perennial.
      Chenopodium album L. or "Lamb's Quarters" is (usually a winter) annual; it just returns so much it seems like a perennial.

      Jeff <shultonus@...> wrote:
      Siberian Pea tree is already moderately productive, in many cases it
      is grown without innoculant, simply finding and adding the appropriate
      innoculant may help.

      This is another species that is reported to have bitterness, much like
      the Illinois bundflower. I don't taste the bitterness. then again I
      don't have the msg gene either.
      The problem with Siberian tree pea is it is not conducive to
      mechanical harvest. But then again few tree and shrub species are.

      another potential oil source is buffalo gourd.

      One perennial legume that could possibly be tamed a bit and made more
      productive is Siberian Tree Pea. Perennial
      > vegetables abound (moringa, bitter melon, sweet potatoes, chayote
      squash, sisso spinach, chicory, sorrel, lamb's quarters, pacific
      spinach), and more could be bred.

      Lamb's quarters is not perrenial. its a re-seeding annual.