greetings and possibly a book for Ray, and Jenny to find,

  • pokachinni
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2002
      Greetings, and welcome, Ray, and Jenny. After reading your post
      describing your situation in NZ, I was immediately brought to the
      attention of one of the books that I am reading at this time. In a
      seen it yet, and so I was just passing it on as a possibility. I now
      own, and am reading Holistic Management by Alan Savory. I first
      heard of this book through a friend in Montana named Thomas Elpel.
      Thomas' two most favourite books are Holistic Management, and One
      Straw Revolution. That, in and of itself, should be enough incentive
      for anybody to check out Thomas' site www.hollotop.com. On the site,
      in the Wildflower's and Weeds section, the article on the American
      Sahara, and the artical on Brittle, and non Brittle environments is a
      very brief patchy sketch of Savory's holistic ideas, and Thomas' own
      practices.
      The reason that your post pulled this book off my mental shelf
      was that Savory's principals revolve around grazing animals, and
      reflect often on Cattle. His studies began in Africa, where land was
      degrading at alarming rates under various management patterns, and
      where, in spite of intensive management, and funding, little progress
      was being made in the way of rehabilitating the soil structure, and
      thus the integration of the living systems with the mineral Earth.
      The results are the expanding desertification, and thus climate
      change, rather than the often cited climate change and thus
      desertification. The studing of both the way grazing animals, and
      ranchers have been managed in recent years, and the changes in the
      cycles of wild grazers, were both seminal to the foundation of
      Savory's own theories, as he worked on the government level in
      management. Like Fukuoka, Savory was largely ignored by his peers,
      and superiors, because his findings upon experimentation, went
      totally against the grain of the mainstream of government, rancher,
      game farmer, wildlife warden, etc.
      Savory has recalibrated the way we classify this natural
      patterns. He places all landscapes on a scale ranging from non-
      brittle to very brittle. Brittleness does not deal so much with
      rainfall, as it does with the relationship between humidity
      retention, and time. Where a place may have a relatively low annual
      rainfall, it may not be very brittle because the the rain, although
      not massive in volume, does fall regularly, and thus decompostion,
      and growth cycles can flow much smoother. Another place might have a
      much greater annual rainfall, but the majority of the rain falls in a
      week or two after the dustiest drought of the year. In the latter
      case the extremity of the pattern of humidity and time is the
      determining factor in rating this as a very brittle place. Anyway,
      I'm not doing Alan much justice here. Suffice it to say that if you
      can locate this book in your interlibraty system, check it out, if
      not consider purchasing it as I did (I'm not much interested in
      Cattle ranching myself, but I was willing to gamble on it as Thomas
      recommended it to me. the reasoning for this decision are below.)At
      the very least, you could check out what Thomas has written at
      Hollowtop.com.
      When I met Thomas Elpel, I felt that he had a lot to teach me.
      Although we have many of the same ideas, and thought patterns, he had
      advanced many of his further than I had, and had actualized many more
      of his goals. He was selling several books that he had self
      published, and after talking with him, I purchased the four, at a
      group rate. As I don't have the correspondence with me on this
      screen, I can not quote his words to me on this, but I don't think
      he'd mind me paraphrasing... "Savory's ideas are akin to the
      principals of Fukuoka, but they come from the Western mind, and are
      thus easier for those of us from this Western perspective to
      assimilate, digest, and become one with." -very much my own words...
      so there you (and that is a collective you, as I would highly
      recommend this book to all aspiring Fukuokans) have it.
      The framework for decision making that is outlined at the
      beginning of the book, is worth the money to me. Like Fukuoka's,
      Savory's ideas are very 'common sense'; however, when those common
      principals are spoken eloquently, and passionately by one who truly
      knows what his sensory field is doing, the farming of the field, and
      the yield of the crops correspond to the genius of the man. sorry for
      the length again, I have tried to keep it short, truly I have.
      Wishing you the best of luck in your dairy/orchard
      business.......roberto pokachinni ps check out the forums at
      homesteadingtoday for all sorts of ideas on ranching, orchards,
      cattle etc, or just other NZ contacts (of which I've seen a few)