NO FRTILIZER.

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6 4:17 AM
      Composting of organic materials is fundamentally useless.: Fukuoka
      Dear friends,
      There is lot of difference in organic and natural way of
      farming. Organic farming based on organic fertilizer and natural
      farming is based on no fertilizer. See what Fukuoka is saying.
      "Natural way of farming" page no-111.
      Fertilizer Was Never needed to Begin With: Let us consider the farmer
      as he clears a forest and plant fruit trees. He fells the trees in the
      forest and carries them off as logs, taking the branches and leaves as
      well. Than he digs deep into the earth, pulling up the roots of trees
      and grasses, which he burns. Next, he turns the soil over and over
      again to loosen it up. But in so doing, he destroys the physical
      structure of the soil After pounding and kneading the soil again and
      again like bread dough, he drives out air and the humus so essential
      to microorganisms, reducing it to a yellow mineral barren of life. He
      than plants fruit saplings in the now lifeless soil, adds fertilizer,
      and attempts to grow fruit trees entirely through human forces.
      At agriculture research centers fertilizer is added to potted
      soil devoid of life and nutrients. The effect is like sprinkling water
      on dry soil : the trees thrive on the fertilizer nutrients. Naturally,
      researchers report this as evidence of the remarkable effectiveness of
      the fertilizer. The farmer simulates the laboratory procedure by
      carefully clearing the land of all plant matter and killing the soil
      in the field , than applying fertilizer. He too notes the same
      startling results and is pleased with what he sees.
      The poor farmer has taken the long way around. Although I would
      not call fertilizers totally useless, the fact is that nature provides
      us with all the fertilizers we need. Crops grow very well without
      chemical fertilizers. Since ancient times, rock outcroppings on the
      earth have been battered by the elements, first into boulders,
      grasses, and eventually great, towering trees, the land became buried
      under a mantle of rich soil.
      The no-fertilizer principle does not say that fertilizers are
      worthless, but that there is no need to apply chemical fertilizers.
      Scientific technology for applying fertilizers is basically pointless
      for the same reason. Yet research on the preparation and use of
      organic composts, which are much closer to nature, appears at first
      glance to be of value.
      When compost such as straw, grasses and trees, or seaweeds is
      applied directly to a field, it takes a while for this to decompose
      and trigger a fertilizer response in the crops. This is because
      microbes help themselves to the available nitrogen in the soil,
      creating a temporary nitrogen deficiency that initially starves the
      crops of needed nitrogen. In organic farming, therefore, these
      materials are fermented and used as prepared compost, giving a safe,
      effective fertilizer.
      All the trouble taken during preparation of the compost to
      speed up the rate of fertilizer response, such as frequent turning of
      pile, methods for stimulating the growth of aerobic bacteria, the
      addition of water and nitrogenous fertilizers, lime, superphosphate,
      rice bran, manure, so forth—all this is taken just for a slight
      acceleration in response. Because the net effect of these effort is to
      speed up decomposition by at most ten to twenty percent, this can
      hardly be called necessary, especially since there already was a
      method of applying straw that achieved outstanding results.
      The logic that rejects grassed fields, green manure, and the
      direct application and plowing under of human wastes and livestock
      manure changes with time and circumstances. Given the right condition,
      these may be effective. But no fertilizer method is absolute. The
      surest way to solve the problem is to apply a method that adapts to
      the circumstances and follow nature.
      I firmly believe that, while compost it self is not without
      value, the composting of organic materials is fundamentally useless.

      --RajuTitus
      Natural farmer of India
    • Shawn Turner
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6 5:10 AM
        I look at composting this way. The reason I do it is, I rather have the kitchen waste, making compost rather than filling up a landfill and becoming waste that populates the environment.

        I am married with 2 children. I live in ohio(USA). We keep a compost bucket, each week I dump this in the compost pile. The average weight of the material is 40 lbs x 52 weeks = 2080 lbs that's over a ton of material that will not go to the landfill but will go to growing my family vegetable and fruit.

        I called this a closed loop because, the food that we grow will be eating the waste will go back to the garden.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dcw338
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6 5:25 AM
          Hello

          Here is a recipe for what I consider the best natural way to fertilize
          and restore soil (larger scale)

          The questions to answer include:

          How to restore soil and bring the micro organism back to life?
          How to bring nitrogen back into the soil and plant?
          How does soil build organic matter?

          The answer is intertwined, answer one and you have the answer to all

          Feed the micro organisms.

          The best food for micro organisms is Raw Milk.

          For bacterial/organism growth one needs to supply sugar, Protein,
          water and heat

          There is not a better source of sugar than raw milk. And there is not
          a more complete range of amino acids than raw milk.

          For explosive growth of bacteria they need vitamin b and enzymes

          There is not a more complete source of vitamins b's and enzymes than
          raw milk. Raw milk is the perfect food for bacteria/micor organisms
          (and humans).

          Air is made of 78% nitrogen. The plants and soil become alive and
          breath the nitrogen in.

          Enzymes break down minerals and other foods for healthy soil and plants.

          Raw milk sugars repel pests (grass hoppers) and when the health of the
          plants/soil return the pests move to other fields.

          Study: 3-10 gallons of raw milk per acre applied to field returned
          1700#'s more dry matter per acre on a single cutting than a none milk
          field. Plus the soil was les compact. Other notes were the salts
          decreased in the milk fields and the balance of calcium and magnesium
          changed.

          This one study showed a 95% probability of repeatability.

          Milk has more value as a soil conditioner than it does as a human food

          Other studies... See pottengers cats by Francis pottenger

          David wetzel
          Nevraska

          I have to run or I would elaborate
        • Dieter Brand
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6 6:10 AM
            The translator ought to be commended for producing a very readable
            text which respects the spirit of the original. There are, however, a few
            little inaccuracies and some parts are altogether missing. Here is my
            retranslation of the last passage of the quoted text:

            "The logic that rejects grassland, green manure and the direct application
            or ploughing under of manure and humanure changes with time and
            circumstances. Depending on such factors as the amount of manure
            used or the soil moisture content these methods may on the contrary
            be effective. The point is that no fertilization technique is absolute.
            The surest way to solve a problem is to apply a method that adapts to
            the circumstances and follows nature.
            I firmly believe that, while compost is not without value, in principal the
            composting of organic matter is not necessary. The idea that plants
            need to be grown with artificial nutrients such as fertilizers is
            fundamentally mistaken." (Mu III, p. 159, lines 6-12 from the right)

            Me too, I firmly believe that, while _in principal_ it is best to directly
            return organic matter to the field, there are many situations in which
            the detour via compost or manure is better, and, while soil disturbance
            ought to be avoided when possible, ploughing/digging or shallow
            cultivation can sometimes be of advantage or necessary.

            Dieter Brand
            Portugal

[...]
            manure changes with time and circumstances. Given the right conditions,
            these may be effective. But no fertilizer method is absolute. The
            surest way to solve the problem is to apply a method that adapts to
            the circumstances and follow nature.
            I firmly believe that, while compost it self is not without
            value, the composting of organic materials is fundamentally useless.

            --RajuTitus
            Natural farmer of India

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • parmbir
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6 6:34 AM
              I know some farmers who germinate seed with country liquer.They also
              spray diluted 250ml for quarter acre of standig crop of wheat or
              rice.Some of them did not diluted the liquer and their crop got
              burnt.I am talking about this after reading this raw milk
              story.Liquer is also a source of sugar.
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "dcw338" <gpp@...> wrote:

              > Hello
              >
              > Here is a recipe for what I consider the best natural way to
              fertilize
              > and restore soil (larger scale)
              >
              > The questions to answer include:
              >
              > How to restore soil and bring the micro organism back to life?
              > How to bring nitrogen back into the soil and plant?
              > How does soil build organic matter?
              >
              > The answer is intertwined, answer one and you have the answer to
              all

              > Feed the micro organisms.
              >

              > The best food for micro organisms is Raw Milk.
              >
              > For bacterial/organism growth one needs to supply sugar, Protein,
              > water and heat
              >
              > There is not a better source of sugar than raw milk. And there is
              not
              > a more complete range of amino acids than raw milk.
              >
              > For explosive growth of bacteria they need vitamin b and enzymes
              >
              > There is not a more complete source of vitamins b's and enzymes
              than
              > raw milk. Raw milk is the perfect food for bacteria/micor
              organisms
              > (and humans).
              >
              > Air is made of 78% nitrogen. The plants and soil become alive and
              > breath the nitrogen in.
              >
              > Enzymes break down minerals and other foods for healthy soil and
              plants.

              > Raw milk sugars repel pests (grass hoppers) and when the health of
              the
              > plants/soil return the pests move to other fields.
              >
              > Study: 3-10 gallons of raw milk per acre applied to field returned
              > 1700#'s more dry matter per acre on a single cutting than a none
              milk
              > field. Plus the soil was les compact. Other notes were the salts
              > decreased in the milk fields and the balance of calcium and
              magnesium
              > changed.
              >
              > This one study showed a 95% probability of repeatability.
              >
              > Milk has more value as a soil conditioner than it does as a human
              food

              > Other studies... See pottengers cats by Francis pottenger
              >
              > David wetzel
              > Nevraska
              >
              > I have to run or I would elaborate

            • Sergio Montinola
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6 12:06 PM
                Dear Raju,

                Your statement "the composting of organic materials is fundamentally useless.
                --RajuTitus" is equally "useless" to the modern world that suffers from the problem of garbabe?

                Please give us your usefull suggestion on how to dispose usefully of municipal garbage? .

                Serge Montinola
                Philippines

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6 1:56 PM
                  >> Please give us your usefull suggestion on how to dispose usefully
                  of municipal garbage? .

                  > Serge Montinola
                  > Philippines

                  Why not burn it and use the BTU's? then filter the carbon ash and use
                  for other applications? there is some of this being done in the US.
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6 2:43 PM
                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "dcw338" <gpp@...> wrote:

                    > >> Please give us your usefull suggestion on how to dispose usefully
                    > of municipal garbage? .
                    > >
                    > > Serge Montinola
                    > > Philippines
                    >

                    > Why not burn it and use the BTU's? then filter the carbon ash and use
                    > for other applications? there is some of this being done in the US.

                    Burning trash is highly problematic, it releases toxic gases, and
                    other gases that cause smog and global warming. (hydrocarbons and
                    nitrous oxides), the toxics com from plastics, magazine print, and
                    other containers. Also, a regular fire is not hot enough to burn the
                    trash effectively, further more much municipal garabage is too wet to
                    burn and must be dried (using energy) before burning.

                    Definitely not something appropriate for the backyard enthusist.

                    the plants in the us are being shut down,or replaced with plasma arc
                    burning that takes place at a high enough temperature to render the
                    trash 'clean'.
                  • Sergio Montinola
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6 5:54 PM
                      Dear Jeff,

                      Burning garbage in the US is one of the worst thing you can do. The environment and the world will suffer in the long run. Hard to believe the US is so backward when it comes to garbage?

                      Serge Montinola

                      Jeff <shultonus@...> wrote:
                      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "dcw338" <gpp@...> wrote:

                      > >> Please give us your usefull suggestion on how to dispose usefully
                      > of municipal garbage? .
                      > >
                      > > Serge Montinola
                      > > Philippines
                      >

                      > Why not burn it and use the BTU's? then filter the carbon ash and use
                      > for other applications? there is some of this being done in the US.

                      Burning trash is highly problematic, it releases toxic gases, and
                      other gases that cause smog and global warming. (hydrocarbons and
                      nitrous oxides), the toxics com from plastics, magazine print, and
                      other containers. Also, a regular fire is not hot enough to burn the
                      trash effectively, further more much municipal garabage is too wet to
                      burn and must be dried (using energy) before burning.

                      Definitely not something appropriate for the backyard enthusist.

                      the plants in the us are being shut down,or replaced with plasma arc
                      burning that takes place at a high enough temperature to render the
                      trash 'clean'.

                    • Anders Skarlind
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 6 6:05 PM
                        Raju,
                        I understand biodynamic farming has some success in India, and also
                        improves the soil. This is a system that uses compost wisely. But
                        alas, I haven't been there. I have only listened to one lecture by an
                        Indian BD farmer and promoter, Jakes Jayakaran, and another with some
                        Swedish BD students who visited India.

                        Compost in the sense I think of it is not primarily a fertiliser.
                        Even though compost has some direct fertilising effects, I think
                        quality compost should be though of mainly as a regulating and
                        soil-improving amendment. A healthy soil may need very little
                        compost, or even none at all. But most soils today I think benefit
                        much from it.

                        The mentioning of raw milk in another post is also interesting. One
                        biodynamic spray for apple trees is diluted milk and something more.
                        (Was it honey?) At least two prominent developers biodynamic method,
                        Hugo Erbe and Enzo Nastati, have devised sparying of grape juice. The
                        grape juice is first stirred with some biodynamic preparations, and
                        then sprayed. Also spraying of molasses with fertiliser or similar
                        come to mind.

                        Kind regards
                        Anders Skarlind, Sweden