Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: THE NATURE OF FOOD.

  • Sergio Montinola
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
      I am in the Philippines. Interested in herbs and vegetarian plants.

      Where can I get supply of seeds? Can I grow saffron, dahl, etc. ?

      Many thanks,

      Serge Montinola

      parmbir <parm1245@...> wrote:
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Raju Titus"
      <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      > Very good discussion is going in our group. We are
      living
      > in India where so many people are vegetarian some people even not
      > using milk as they think is not veg.
      > Therefore I want to share what Fukuoka is thinking .
      > Natural Way of Farming- chapter -The Nature of Food.-Page 260-
      > Conclusion:
      > Natural farming, natural diet, and natural healing are all
      > parts of one whole. Without an established natural diet, farmers
      have
      > no idea what it is they should produce. Yet nothing is clearer than
      > that, in the absence of an established method of natural farming ,
      > true natural diet will never take hold and spread. Both natural
      diet
      > and natural farming can be achieved only by natural people. This
      > trinity begins and is realized at once. The goal of all three is
      the
      > creation of ideal man.
      > However, man's ideals today are in a state of confusion; a
      > hundred schools of thought on natural diet and natural farming
      compete
      > for our attention. The book stores are flooded with books on
      natural
      > diet, and magazines and journals are full of articles on organic
      > farming, microbial farming, enzyme farming, and other methods that
      > depart from scientific farming. But to me, these all look pretty
      much
      > the same .They are all on the same level and amount to no more than
      > just one field of scientific agriculture.
      > People look on complacently, thinking that the the world goes
      on
      > developing in the midst of repeated chaos and confusion, but
      > fargmented development without a goal can lead only to chaotic
      > thinking and, ultimately, destruction of the human race. Unless we
      > succeed very soon in clarifying what nature is and what man should
      and
      > should not do, there will be no turning back.
      >
      > Raju Titus
      > Natural farmer of India.
      >I think eating non-veg (local produce only) only once at the
      weekend and on family gettogethers could be a good choice.One can
      get necessary nutrients too.This will make that particular day
      special.As it used to be in old times in my family. But now they go
      for exotic imported vegetables and seafood.

    • jim stone
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
        So much to reply to in this digest of messages! I too
        am a former vegeterian/vegan- formerly of New Orleans!

        I'm not a faddist or one that buys into diet as
        spiritual expression. I eat what is healthy and what
        my body seems to do well on. My diet rolls with what
        is available, grown etc. on my land or locally,
        hunted, etc...

        I keep chickens and other fowl as well as a few
        cattle, goats and rabbits. I am moving towards a Joe
        Salatin style of farming.

        He uses a "tractor" for meat birds and a "prairie"
        wagon system for layers where they free range after
        they have lain.

        IMO, it is very difficult to provide all the bird's
        nutrition just from grazing, or will at least
        intially. If you improve the quality of your
        pastures, maybe... This is especially true if you use
        the typical Cornish X meat birds. I've not found an
        ideal breed or cross yet. There are alledgedly
        "Freedom Rangers" , etc. that possess the desired
        qualities to thrive on a pasture system.

        There is a Yahoo group for pastured poultry.

        My concept is to use birds as the "clean up crew"
        after the herbivores ala Salatin. I think I will
        probably do some reseeding of more desirable and
        sustainable species and try to rid my land of invasive
        Johnson and Veasy grasses...

        It's been my experience, however that color, taste and
        quality of egg yolk IMPROVES with access to pasture.

        Chickens will fly over a 6' fence. Clipping may or
        may not help- seems to depend on the bird. Guineas
        will sound the <deafening> alarm sometimes. They
        mostly seem to be 'fraidy cats. Very scatter-brained.
        Will forget what you look like from day to day even
        though you raised them from day one. They are,
        however, good food sources as well.

        jim
      • Robert Monie
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
          Hi Jim,

          Egg yolks would improve when chickens are allowed to graze freely on pasture leys, because those fowl instinctively choose to eat greens such as purslane that are rich in omega 3 fatty acid. Probably if you wanted to grade all the greens on your field according to their omega 3 content, you could just follow the chickens around from day to day and record which greens on the average they chose to peck first, second, third, and so forth. Norman Turner did something similiar in following his cows around to see which forbs they chose first (though they were attracted by much more than just omega 3 content.) He recorded this in his classic book "Fertility Pastures." Norman loved cattle and cared for them better than many people treat one another. I'm sure that if I ever wanted to eat meat (most unlikely), I would want it to come from animals raised like Turner's on fields sown with a multitude of grasses and herbs for the animals to feast on.

          Best wishes,

          Bob Monie

          PS This year the Endymion parade is back in Mid-City; it starts at the corner of City Park Ave and Orleans at 4:15 tomorrow. I know that this will only matter to a former New Orleanian like you.

          Happy Mardi Gras!

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
            Hi Sergio,

            The University of the Philippines at Los Banos has an Agroforestry Seed Information Clearing House (AFSICH). I'm not sure I have the most up to date information on this, but I know Dr. Pamela Fernandez in the Seed Science and Technology Division used to handle information on where to get seeds. See http://www.uplb.edu.ph/ Dr. Fernandez's phone numbers used to be the following:

            Tel. (6349) 536-2468 and 2469. Her FAX was (6349) 536-2468. Her email was
            pgf@...

            If all else fails, you should be able to write her at

            Dr. Pamela Fernandez
            Seed Science and Technology Division
            Department of Agronomy
            University of the Philippines
            Los Banos
            College, Laguna, PHILIPPINES
            4031.

            If this does not work, let me know.

            For herbs, one of the best suppliers is Richter's Herbs in Canada.
            See their website:

            http://www.richters.com

            Bost wishes,

            Bob Monie

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
              Many thanks for the reply. I will call but my experience of Los Banos is not very constructive. Anyway I will try again.

              Sergio J. Montinola