THE NATURE OF FOOD.

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
      Dear friends,
      Very good discussion is going in our group. We are living
      in India where so many people are vegetarian some people even not
      using milk as they think is not veg.
      Therefore I want to share what Fukuoka is thinking .
      Natural Way of Farming- chapter -The Nature of Food.-Page 260-
      Conclusion:
      Natural farming, natural diet, and natural healing are all
      parts of one whole. Without an established natural diet, farmers have
      no idea what it is they should produce. Yet nothing is clearer than
      that, in the absence of an established method of natural farming ,
      true natural diet will never take hold and spread. Both natural diet
      and natural farming can be achieved only by natural people. This
      trinity begins and is realized at once. The goal of all three is the
      creation of ideal man.
      However, man's ideals today are in a state of confusion; a
      hundred schools of thought on natural diet and natural farming compete
      for our attention. The book stores are flooded with books on natural
      diet, and magazines and journals are full of articles on organic
      farming, microbial farming, enzyme farming, and other methods that
      depart from scientific farming. But to me, these all look pretty much
      the same .They are all on the same level and amount to no more than
      just one field of scientific agriculture.
      People look on complacently, thinking that the the world goes on
      developing in the midst of repeated chaos and confusion, but
      fargmented development without a goal can lead only to chaotic
      thinking and, ultimately, destruction of the human race. Unless we
      succeed very soon in clarifying what nature is and what man should and
      should not do, there will be no turning back.

      Raju Titus
      Natural farmer of India.
    • parmbir
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Raju Titus"
        <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends,
        > Very good discussion is going in our group. We are
        living
        > in India where so many people are vegetarian some people even not
        > using milk as they think is not veg.
        > Therefore I want to share what Fukuoka is thinking .
        > Natural Way of Farming- chapter -The Nature of Food.-Page 260-
        > Conclusion:
        > Natural farming, natural diet, and natural healing are all
        > parts of one whole. Without an established natural diet, farmers
        have
        > no idea what it is they should produce. Yet nothing is clearer than
        > that, in the absence of an established method of natural farming ,
        > true natural diet will never take hold and spread. Both natural
        diet
        > and natural farming can be achieved only by natural people. This
        > trinity begins and is realized at once. The goal of all three is
        the
        > creation of ideal man.
        > However, man's ideals today are in a state of confusion; a
        > hundred schools of thought on natural diet and natural farming
        compete
        > for our attention. The book stores are flooded with books on
        natural
        > diet, and magazines and journals are full of articles on organic
        > farming, microbial farming, enzyme farming, and other methods that
        > depart from scientific farming. But to me, these all look pretty
        much
        > the same .They are all on the same level and amount to no more than
        > just one field of scientific agriculture.
        > People look on complacently, thinking that the the world goes
        on
        > developing in the midst of repeated chaos and confusion, but
        > fargmented development without a goal can lead only to chaotic
        > thinking and, ultimately, destruction of the human race. Unless we
        > succeed very soon in clarifying what nature is and what man should
        and
        > should not do, there will be no turning back.
        >
        > Raju Titus
        > Natural farmer of India.
        >I think eating non-veg (local produce only) only once at the
        weekend and on family gettogethers could be a good choice.One can
        get necessary nutrients too.This will make that particular day
        special.As it used to be in old times in my family. But now they go
        for exotic imported vegetables and seafood.
      • Sergio Montinola
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
          I am in the Philippines. Interested in herbs and vegetarian plants.

          Where can I get supply of seeds? Can I grow saffron, dahl, etc. ?

          Many thanks,

          Serge Montinola

          <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          > Very good discussion is going in our group. We are
          living
          > in India where so many people are vegetarian some people even not
          > using milk as they think is not veg.
          > Therefore I want to share what Fukuoka is thinking .
          > Natural Way of Farming- chapter -The Nature of Food.-Page 260-
          > Conclusion:
          > Natural farming, natural diet, and natural healing are all
          > parts of one whole. Without an established natural diet, farmers
          have
          > no idea what it is they should produce. Yet nothing is clearer than
          > that, in the absence of an established method of natural farming ,
          > true natural diet will never take hold and spread. Both natural
          diet
          > and natural farming can be achieved only by natural people. This
          > trinity begins and is realized at once. The goal of all three is
          the
          > creation of ideal man.
          > However, man's ideals today are in a state of confusion; a
          > hundred schools of thought on natural diet and natural farming
          compete
          > for our attention. The book stores are flooded with books on
          natural
          > diet, and magazines and journals are full of articles on organic
          > farming, microbial farming, enzyme farming, and other methods that
          > depart from scientific farming. But to me, these all look pretty
          much
          > the same .They are all on the same level and amount to no more than
          > just one field of scientific agriculture.
          > People look on complacently, thinking that the the world goes
          on
          > developing in the midst of repeated chaos and confusion, but
          > fargmented development without a goal can lead only to chaotic
          > thinking and, ultimately, destruction of the human race. Unless we
          > succeed very soon in clarifying what nature is and what man should
          and
          > should not do, there will be no turning back.
          >
          > Raju Titus
          > Natural farmer of India.
          >I think eating non-veg (local produce only) only once at the
          weekend and on family gettogethers could be a good choice.One can
          get necessary nutrients too.This will make that particular day
          special.As it used to be in old times in my family. But now they go
          for exotic imported vegetables and seafood.

        • jim stone
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
            So much to reply to in this digest of messages! I too
            am a former vegeterian/vegan- formerly of New Orleans!

            I'm not a faddist or one that buys into diet as
            spiritual expression. I eat what is healthy and what
            my body seems to do well on. My diet rolls with what
            is available, grown etc. on my land or locally,
            hunted, etc...

            I keep chickens and other fowl as well as a few
            cattle, goats and rabbits. I am moving towards a Joe
            Salatin style of farming.

            He uses a "tractor" for meat birds and a "prairie"
            wagon system for layers where they free range after
            they have lain.

            IMO, it is very difficult to provide all the bird's
            nutrition just from grazing, or will at least
            intially. If you improve the quality of your
            pastures, maybe... This is especially true if you use
            the typical Cornish X meat birds. I've not found an
            ideal breed or cross yet. There are alledgedly
            "Freedom Rangers" , etc. that possess the desired
            qualities to thrive on a pasture system.

            There is a Yahoo group for pastured poultry.

            My concept is to use birds as the "clean up crew"
            after the herbivores ala Salatin. I think I will
            probably do some reseeding of more desirable and
            sustainable species and try to rid my land of invasive
            Johnson and Veasy grasses...

            It's been my experience, however that color, taste and
            quality of egg yolk IMPROVES with access to pasture.

            Chickens will fly over a 6' fence. Clipping may or
            may not help- seems to depend on the bird. Guineas
            will sound the <deafening> alarm sometimes. They
            mostly seem to be 'fraidy cats. Very scatter-brained.
            Will forget what you look like from day to day even
            though you raised them from day one. They are,
            however, good food sources as well.

            jim
          • Robert Monie
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
              Hi Jim,

              Egg yolks would improve when chickens are allowed to graze freely on pasture leys, because those fowl instinctively choose to eat greens such as purslane that are rich in omega 3 fatty acid. Probably if you wanted to grade all the greens on your field according to their omega 3 content, you could just follow the chickens around from day to day and record which greens on the average they chose to peck first, second, third, and so forth. Norman Turner did something similiar in following his cows around to see which forbs they chose first (though they were attracted by much more than just omega 3 content.) He recorded this in his classic book "Fertility Pastures." Norman loved cattle and cared for them better than many people treat one another. I'm sure that if I ever wanted to eat meat (most unlikely), I would want it to come from animals raised like Turner's on fields sown with a multitude of grasses and herbs for the animals to feast on.

              Best wishes,

              Bob Monie

              PS This year the Endymion parade is back in Mid-City; it starts at the corner of City Park Ave and Orleans at 4:15 tomorrow. I know that this will only matter to a former New Orleanian like you.

              Happy Mardi Gras!

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
                Hi Sergio,

                The University of the Philippines at Los Banos has an Agroforestry Seed Information Clearing House (AFSICH). I'm not sure I have the most up to date information on this, but I know Dr. Pamela Fernandez in the Seed Science and Technology Division used to handle information on where to get seeds. See http://www.uplb.edu.ph/ Dr. Fernandez's phone numbers used to be the following:

                Tel. (6349) 536-2468 and 2469. Her FAX was (6349) 536-2468. Her email was
                pgf@...

                If all else fails, you should be able to write her at

                Dr. Pamela Fernandez
                Seed Science and Technology Division
                Department of Agronomy
                University of the Philippines
                Los Banos
                College, Laguna, PHILIPPINES
                4031.

                If this does not work, let me know.

                For herbs, one of the best suppliers is Richter's Herbs in Canada.
                See their website:

                http://www.richters.com

                Bost wishes,

                Bob Monie

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
                  Many thanks for the reply. I will call but my experience of Los Banos is not very constructive. Anyway I will try again.

                  Sergio J. Montinola