Re: [fukuoka_farming] Vandana Shiva - One of my heroes and the way to go about the whole GMO issue

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
      The trouble is, when the consumer doesn't care no initiative is
      going to do any good. So it's back to educating the consumer,
      disseminating information about the fact that GM safety isn't
      proven, no matter what the industry claims. Problems will only
      really show in 10 to 20 years time, but by that time it'll be too
      late. GM will be everywhere.

      Dieter

      yarrow@... wrote:
      Some consumer groups in Oregon got a "put GM on food labels"
      initiative on the ballot several years ago, were vastly outspent by
      industry, and lost.

      AFAIK, organically grown foods are still not allowed to be GM, so
      anyone who wants to avoid GM "food" here can buy all organic ... and
      stay away from processed and prepared foods.

      At 11:59 AM -0800 1/27/08, Dieter Brand wrote:
      You are right, the consumer, if organized, can bring any of the big
      corporations to it's knees. At least in Europe we have a choice,
      GM food has to be identified, even if in the small print only. Also,
      looks like there are organisations working on a "GM-free" label
      that is easier for the consumer to identify. But from what I hear,
      in the land of the free accross the big pond, the government doesn't
      allow GM food to be identified so people don't have a choice.