Vandana Shiva - One of my heroes and the way to go about the whole GMO issue

  • Elsa Santos
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008
      When asked if she would be a part of a rally against war, mother Theresa said no, she wouldn't be a part of it, but that she'd be very happy to take part in a demonstration for peace... and on the same sentence, maybe the solution for the GMO problem should rely more on educating the people who buy and sow seeds, than on attract negative attention by burning and trashing the fields of farmers who sow the GMOs out of ignorance... They're not to blame or deserve punishment and by dedicating oneself to that type of activism, one is being just as ignorant and being part of the problem - not the solution! Education is the true weapon... Knowledge is Power!

      http://www.time.com/time/2002/greencentury/heroes/index_shiva.html

      http://www.organicconsumers.org/OFGU/shiva041805.cfm

      http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-ZeN_ghro

      www.organicconsumers.org/vandana.html

      http://www.navdanya.org/

    • Dieter Brand
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008
        Hi Elsa,

        Nice to see you back here!!! Will be in touch soon.
        I'm fighting a deadline right now.

        You are right, the consumer, if organized, can bring any of the big
        corporations to it's knees. At least in Europe we have a choice,
        GM food has to be identified, even if in the small print only. Also,
        looks like there are organisations working on a "GM-free" label
        that is easier for the consumer to identify. But from what I hear,
        in the land of the free accross the big pond, the government doesn't
        allow GM food to be identified so people don't have a choice.

        Dieter

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
          Some consumer groups in Oregon got a "put GM on food labels"
          initiative on the ballot several years ago, were vastly outspent by
          industry, and lost.

          AFAIK, organically grown foods are still not allowed to be GM, so
          anyone who wants to avoid GM "food" here can buy all organic ... and
          stay away from processed and prepared foods.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
            The trouble is, when the consumer doesn't care no initiative is
            going to do any good. So it's back to educating the consumer,
            disseminating information about the fact that GM safety isn't
            proven, no matter what the industry claims. Problems will only
            really show in 10 to 20 years time, but by that time it'll be too
            late. GM will be everywhere.

            Dieter