Re: [fukuoka_farming] Hydroponic Vegetable Production

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2008
      >... I think reality both stands still (the perennial verities) and
      >moves forward at the same time (though not at the same rate) ...

      May be so; yet to me, the most salient fact seems to be that each
      time we THINK we have it (reality, veritas or whatever) it has already
      moved on. But perhaps, in essence, that is not unlike what you are
      saying.

      >Nature should permit a hydroponic/aeroponic/bioponic system for
      >growing veggies that would parallel what happens in a healthy
      >self-sustaining field.

      Nature does permit an awful lot, even GM, the question is for how
      long! Ahrr, that's the Fukuokan in me.

      But you are right we shouldn't dismiss the possibility that science
      and human ingenuity have the potential to improve living conditions
      on this planet even if technological progress doesn't always go in
      that direction.

      My feeling is that much of Fukuoka's thinking on technological
      progess is inspired by the type of Zen story for example recorded
      by D. T. Suzuki in one of his essays about the farmer who is bent
      over his field all day long to cut the straw with a hand sickle. Being
      offered a sickle with a longer handle that would facilitate his work,
      he refuses point blank on the grounds that is father, and before that
      his grandfather, and before that ... had always done it that way.

      When reading Fukuoka's critique on science, we shouldn't forget that
      he too is a scientist and that he has meticulously researched and
      recorded his rice growing methods in true scientific fashion for years.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal

      Robert Monie <bobm20001@...> wrote:
      Well, Dieter, part of me is Thoreauvian/Fukuokan and another part is Bucky-Fuller "Nine Chains to the Moon" crazy futurist. Beause I think reality both stands still (the perennial verities) and moves forward at the same time (though not at the same rate), such notions are possible for me.

      Nature should permit a hydroponic/aeroponic/bioponic system for growing veggies that would parallel what happens in a healthy self-sustaining field. Perhaps among the many sea plants that grow, some would fix nitrogen, some would dynamically accumulate nutrients; some would guild with companion plants; all sorts of--perhaps as yet unstudied--beneficial (amphibious) microbes would colonize plant roots and you could approach a closed cycle without a particle of soil. The system would then be alive and as unmechanical as possible; maybe each plant could be anchored on a little floating cork, or even bred to float gracefully as it interacted with the life teaming under and around it.

      Hope you like science fiction as much as I do.
      If nothing else, this would have made a nice story for Isaac Asimov or Ray Bradburry.

      Best wishes,

      Bob Monie
      Zone 8

      Recent Activity