Never in their entire life gone to the market to buy food

  • parmbir
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2008
      It is in their genes to produce all the food they need.They never
      look for food outside their communities. I know hundred of women who
      have never in their entire life gone to the market to buy food.Take
      the village-level women's groups or sanghams, that we have in the
      Medak district of Andhra Pardesh.They practice biodiversity based
      agriculture, which emphasises the cultivation of coarse grains, such
      as sorghum and various kinds of millet,that have been grown in this
      region for centuries.As the land is rain-fed and extremely dry,these
      crops have adapted over genrations to flourish in local conditions,
      without irrigation or chemicals or fertilisers,pestisides or
      herbisides.They are much more nutritious than polished white rice.
      These crops also provide a variety of materials to meet people's
      needs,such as stalks and husk to feed animals, dry system to build
      fences, straw to thach their huts and fibre to make ropes.These
      sangham women also use inter-cropping and rotation techniqus to grow
      other crops-pulses,vegetables,fruit and medicinal plants.They are
      not only preserving biodiversity but also enhancing it.As they donot
      use chemicals there is also abundant "uncultivated food" such as
      plant greens, tubers and small animals.
      A part of the interview with MR.P.V.Satheesh(Director of the Deccan
      Development Society,Andhra Pardesh Southern India)
      With Thanks from
      Seedling
      paper edition january 2007
      www.grain.org