Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 32

  • chas baudelaire
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2001
      there are four principles of natural farming as stated by fukuoka:

      no cultivation
      no chemical fertilizer or prepared compost
      no weeding by tillage or herbicides
      no dependence on chemicals

      plastic mulch? not natural farming
      containers? not natural farming
      compostig and soil amendments? not natural farming

      the reality is that natural farming is tough on the noodle. you have to look
      and observe and figure out what works best in your own particular climate
      and such. and it changes every year. fukuoka himself advises planting in the
      standard manner and then letting go of control step by step. it's a
      philosophy, not a how-to guide. it's about learning how to live as a part of
      nature rather than a lord over nature. it's simple but not easy.

      peace in chaos,

      chas

      --
      Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood,
      you must be" -- she always called me Elwood -- "In this world, you must be
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2001
        chas:

        "it's simple but not easy"

        an inspiring quote