Hashimoto and Fukuoka

  • Kyle Holzhueter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2002
      >could u please tell us more about Mr. Hashimoto's work?

      After school and on the weekends I work with Hashimoto-san. Mr. Hashimoto
      is a member of Shinji Shumeikai, a religious/spiritual organization that
      claims Mokichi Okada as their founder. Mokichi Okada pioneered a type of
      agriculture he called no-fertilizer agriculture. Later the name was changed
      to Natural Farming (Jap: shizen nouhou). As far as I can, the primary
      difference between Shumeikai natural farming and �organic� farming is the
      prohibition of using animal manure as fertilizer, even after composting.

      MOA (Mikichi Okada Association) also claims Mokichi Okada as their founder
      and also calls their agricultural practice Shizen Nouhou (Natural Farming).
      MOA is the primary advocate of EM (Effective Microorganisms). EM is not
      used by Shumeikai natural farmers.

      Hashimoto-san is interested in no-till and permaculture. He is friends with
      Tsujikawa-san and has visited Yoshikazu KAWAGUCHI and OKITSU. Tsujikawa-san
      grows rice and barley using Fukuoka�s method and developed the no-till
      system of vegetables and fruit trees I described earlier. In Japan,
      Kawaguchi-san is a well-known no-till farmer in the same vein as Fukuoka.
      He runs a school called Akame Juku in Nara Prefecture that teaches his
      method. OKITSUI, whom I believe is a student of Kawaguchi, attracts the
      attention of farmers in central Japan. This is said simply to show
      Hashimoto-san�s interest in no-till. However, Hashimoto-san is a member of
      Shinji Shumeikai and runs a type of CSA supported by Shinji Shumeikai
      members. Thus, except for his single no-till field, his practices conform
      to Shinji Shumeikai�s natural farming, which involves till.

      >do u live far from Fukuoka-san? would perhaps be possible for u to meet
      >him, his family in relation to the future of his work, his books?

      I�ve written one letter and sent a fax but never received a response. I�m
      not sure Fukuoka himself ever received my inquires, but at least someone at
      his home did. I received a call from a Ms. Fukuoka telling me that my first
      attempt at using my Japanese fax machine was unsuccessful. In the letter I
      sent last December I asked if I could visit the family farm. In the fax I
      recently sent I asked for information about people practicing natural
      farming in Japan. The information I posted earlier about Fukuoka and his
      family farm was told to me by Ootomo-san and Matthew Perez. Ootomo-san runs
      an organic food store in Tokyo and is a friend of Fukuoka. Matthew Perez
      was in contact with Ogura-san, Fukuoka�s son-in-law. The feeling I get is
      that visits to the farm aren�t encouraged. I could be wrong. As of now, my
      Japanese isn�t good enough to explain the intricacies of a book proposal or
      internet-site, or understand a response.