Re: [fukuoka_farming] creating a natural living fence

  • Adin Sh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008
      Robin!

      You have the deers so close to your home?
      You are lucky, they are so sweet!
      Of course, until they begin to mess with the crops,
      I perfectly understand you...
      I have the same problem with the sparrows, they devour virtually all lettuce I grow.
      The idea of living fence is very nice, you have a fence + raspberries.
      When I lived in Uzbekistan, growing raspberries fences was a very common practice.
      Here in Israel the climate isn't suitable for raspberies (too warm at winter) and deers in the wild I saw last time 13 years ago, in some rocky area near Jerusalem.
      Sadly but most of the people still believe that industrialization will finally solve their problems, one of which is going and disappearing forests and rivers...
      For the United States, you have a beautiful place to live in,
      thank the God for it!

      Regards,
      Adin.
      one of which

      robin <witchessocks@...> wrote:
      ***Adin Sh wrote:***

      Dear macropneuma,

      You have described very well the extremes the modern farmers had drove
      themselves to.
      But every stick has two ends.
      The other extreme is to become a staunch devotee of some philosophy
      that
      completely denies the first extreme and peacefully watch how
      ants,sparrows and
      weeds turn your garden into a wild prairie...
      Then our devotee stands up and decides to go to supermarket to buy some
      rice,flour and cow milk and butter. Why not, he is hungry!
      It seems that no-till may be one of the golden path methods that are a
      compromise of the two extremes.
      Thanks to Raju Titus for a nice pictures!
      Regards!

      ***Adin Sh, i think you have hit on something that is very true...

      this is what i have been guilty of ever since i took all the fences
      down on my land. i'm in an area in virginia where more and more people
      are clearing the land and moving in all around me.(i'm blessed with a
      large yard adjoining my mother's neighboring small forest). it has
      been hard to grow much beyond rye, turnips,
      mustards, kale, asparagus, peppermint, fig and such plants as that,since i
      removed the fences, because i get deer herds coming out of the forest
      and going through, chomping down in the relatively open spaces
      furthest from my house.i planted a lot of buckwheat also but not much
      came up of that. i wonder, do deer eat buckwheat? i have to plant my
      tomatoes, spinach real
      close to my house and even then i'm taking a chance on having the deer
      get them (my dog is scary-looking but lazy).

      anyway, maybe i need to take a different route. instead of investing
      in planting up the middle so much i've been thinking i would work on
      trying to grow a thick, stickery living fence all around the borders
      to keep the deer out.

      i googled * creating a natural living fence * and got some useful and
      interesting information; here is the first entry:***

      http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9803E2DB143EF936A35751C1A96F958260

      ***i like the idea of raspberries and blackberries, plus other thorny and
      small native trees, shrubs, tall grasses and plants grown thickly as a
      hedgerow; and
      it should be workable on my land, since i already have lots of
      raspberry, etc. i'm excited, because this is the first year i am not
      going to use a lawnmower at all, even to cut paths. even though i have
      been trying to go toward the "extreme" end of the natural farming way
      of fukuoka-san, i still had been doing it incrementally, using the
      lawn mower to cut paths
      and tidy up some inner areas, because the people i live near and with
      do not understand why in the world anyone wouldn't want to mow
      everything down and keep the ground completely devoid of all
      troublesome (to them) vegetation,insects,and small wildlife! so it's
      been hard to break through
      that very dogma macropneuma was talking about. sometimes i get real
      frustrated with the attitudes, sometimes i compromise, sometimes i
      doggedly press on with the natural farming goal. each year i have been
      mowing less and less, tidying
      up things with a hand scythe and clippers.

      does anyone have some experience with growing a living fence to keep
      out or channel the hordes of grazers away from the food crops?

      but yes, Adin Sh, the goal is to practice what we preach. thank you so
      much.

      larry, i've only met napi over the internet, in this group. very nice
      and smart group member. i'm a
      different robin from the one you may be thinking of. i live further to
      the east than they do, near roanoke. it's nice to speak to you, and i
      want to congratulate you on your fukuoka farming website. very
      important work you all are doing.***robin