Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Regarding White Ant problem.

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
      Patty,

      No offence at all. I was saying that, as far as I could
      see, if ants can find shelter they will multiply in direct
      proportion to the food available and that in this region,
      predators, even if they exist elsewhere, didn't have
      a significant impact on ants.

      I live on a heavy clay soil, that is ideal for building
      rammed earth constructions, ants take advantage of
      this by building extensive tunnels underground. They
      mainly live on seeds, even though they will also
      collect dead insects and other things. And since
      there are plenty of seeds from grass and weeds
      they have been able to prosper and multiply. Similar
      conditions have led to large ant populations all around
      probably since time immemorial, except, in places with
      sandy soil where ants can't build their tunnels.

      But as I said, I don't see ants as a pest, they can be
      a nuisance at times, but they also fulfil many useful
      functions.

      Dieter

      pattyloof <pattyloof@...> wrote:
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

      > I have clearly explained
      > why there are ants in one place and not in another based on first hand
      > experience for over 10 years. I don't think, I can make it any
      clearer.

      I must have missed it then. Sorry to offend.

      Patty