Re: Regarding White Ant problem.

  • pattyloof
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

      > I have clearly explained
      > why there are ants in one place and not in another based on first hand
      > experience for over 10 years. I don't think, I can make it any
      clearer.

      I must have missed it then. Sorry to offend.

      Patty
    • Dieter Brand
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
        Patty,

        No offence at all. I was saying that, as far as I could
        see, if ants can find shelter they will multiply in direct
        proportion to the food available and that in this region,
        predators, even if they exist elsewhere, didn't have
        a significant impact on ants.

        I live on a heavy clay soil, that is ideal for building
        rammed earth constructions, ants take advantage of
        this by building extensive tunnels underground. They
        mainly live on seeds, even though they will also
        collect dead insects and other things. And since
        there are plenty of seeds from grass and weeds
        they have been able to prosper and multiply. Similar
        conditions have led to large ant populations all around
        probably since time immemorial, except, in places with
        sandy soil where ants can't build their tunnels.

        But as I said, I don't see ants as a pest, they can be
        a nuisance at times, but they also fulfil many useful
        functions.

        Dieter