Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Regarding White Ant problem.

  • Tradingpost
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
      Jamie, isn't it american indian languages that don't have separate nouns
      and verbs? No thing is thought of separate from what it does or what you do
      with it. All is in flux, all is process. That is so different from western
      concepts where we add fertilizer to soil and never see the networks of life
      that make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

      paul tradingpost@...

      --Henry David Thoreau

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
        Hi Larry,

        Let me second Dieter's welcome back. One update long overdue on your site is to expand the "stars" section. When that sidereal mapping was made, most of us were "seeing stars"; that is, growing stuff in our imagination rather than the soil. Now we've got some real farmers like Dieter growing lots of plants more or less naturally, and they have certainly earned a place on "the map." And those of us who have worked on the soil, have grown used to having our fondest assumptions bite the dust before the reality of nature as it is played out on our little squares of earth.

        It is an amazing thing that food for humans grows at all amid the forbs and grasses fit for cows; it is an evolutionary wonder that we did not have to develop the cud-chewing capacity and multiplex stomach of the ruminants; instead we developed (with the help of nature) our own kind of food. Reverence, therefore, rather than contempt or indifference is the proper stance for us as we view the handiwork of generations of human plant breeders and farmers of all persuasions, whose names and provenance we will never know, that gave us bok choy, tomatoes, peaches, buckwheat, and all the rest of the foods that grace our tables today.
        We benefit from all their meddling, their serendipity, their failures, their blood sweat and tears.

        Bob Monie
        New Orleans, La 70119

        Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:
        Larry,

        Welcome back! Thanks for trying to mediate, but don't
        worry, we are not at each other's throat, it's all very civilized.

        I wouldn't write off NF, or organic no-till, as a commercial
        non-starter. Even though it may not be possible to adapt
        it to many places in the way originally envisaged by Fukuoka.
        Other than difficult climatic conditions, there are also
        economic and regulatory conditions, especially in the
        industrialized West, which make it hard for farmers to
        go this way.

        Anyway, I think Fukuoka is still a source of inspiration to
        many, even in regard to practical gardening/farming matters.
        There undoubtedly also is the philosophical and spiritual
        dimension to Fukuoka. I feel in tune with many of his ideas
        in this respect too. Yet, used in a "dogmatic" way this
        tends to stifle pragmatic discussions about the question
        of how to put NF into practice. That, I think is a tragedy.

        We don't only face a climatic melt down, but unnoticed
        by many, this goes hand in hand with the contamination of
        the food chain with innumerable toxic substances that will
        kill us all sooner or later and a loss of organic matter in
        agricultural soils on which all live on this planet depends.
        If NF cannot contribute anything in practical terms to
        solving these problems, then we might as well forget all
        about it.

        Dieter Brand
        Portugal

        Lawrence <lawrence@...> wrote:
        Jamie Nicole wrote:
        > ... Fukuoka_Farming is not about farming at all ... (snip)

        Dieter Brand wrote:
        I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one, if words
        are to have a meaning then natural farming is farming, is farming,
        is ... And no matter what interpretation we may attribute to some
        of Fukuoka's words, the man grew his food by an ingenious method
        developed in years of meticulous and painstaking efforts.

        You don't have to disagree, just understand that you are talking about the
        same thing from two different perspectives, both of them accurate and valid
        though limited.

        To some, Fukuoka Farming is (or can be) a method for growing food (Dieter's
        perspective). To others it can be a philosophical way of life or approach to
        living that uses growing food as a vehicle or means to achieving a state of
        being more closely in tune with nature and natual processes than might
        otherwise be possible (Jamie's perspective).If I misrepresented either one
        of you in this paragraph I apologize and would welcome correction.

        For those of you who don't know me, I'm the person who set up the Fukuoka
        Farming website (www.fukuokafarmingol.info). Haven't done anything to it for
        quite some time because of matters somewhat unrelated to the topic of the
        website, but I think I'm at a point where I'll be working on it again later
        this month.

        Personally, from what I've seen, heard and experienced I think Fukuoka's
        methods are useful in food production to a point, but only to a point. The
        only farm I know of that used Fukuoka's methods without
        modification/adjustment was Fukuoka's farm, which no longer uses his methods
        because they eventually turned out to be not commercially competitive. The
        work done by Emilia Hazelip and others to adapt/employ his methods to create
        commercially viable market gardens shows more promise for sustained,
        commercial food production. But then so does hydroponics, aquaponics,
        aeroponics, etc.

        I'm going to be changing the website. Probably leave what's there there and
        add other stuff. I'm totally open to suggestions on how to make the website
        more useful. If any of you have any ideas for this then please let me know
        either through this forum or directly at "L at haftl dot com".

        Larry

        Recent Activity

        5
        New Members

        Visit Your Group
        Sitebuilder
        Build a web site
        quickly & easily
        with Sitebuilder.

        Best of Y! Groups
        Discover groups
        that are the best
        of their class.

        Shedding Pounds
        on Yahoo! Groups
        Read sucess stories
        & share your own.

        .

      • pattyloof
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

          > I have clearly explained
          > why there are ants in one place and not in another based on first hand
          > experience for over 10 years. I don't think, I can make it any
          clearer.

          I must have missed it then. Sorry to offend.

          Patty
        • Dieter Brand
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
            Patty,

            No offence at all. I was saying that, as far as I could
            see, if ants can find shelter they will multiply in direct
            proportion to the food available and that in this region,
            predators, even if they exist elsewhere, didn't have
            a significant impact on ants.

            I live on a heavy clay soil, that is ideal for building
            rammed earth constructions, ants take advantage of
            this by building extensive tunnels underground. They
            mainly live on seeds, even though they will also
            collect dead insects and other things. And since
            there are plenty of seeds from grass and weeds
            they have been able to prosper and multiply. Similar
            conditions have led to large ant populations all around
            probably since time immemorial, except, in places with
            sandy soil where ants can't build their tunnels.

            But as I said, I don't see ants as a pest, they can be
            a nuisance at times, but they also fulfil many useful
            functions.

            Dieter