Re: [fukuoka_farming]

  • Larry Haftl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2001
      Hello Terry,

      The best website I found with seedball information is Jim Bones'
      www.seedballs.com. I think it might be worth your time to check it out.

      Have you thought of planting a green manure cover crop like white clover? I
      don't know if white clover is appropriate in your area, but from what I've
      gathered from Fukuoka's book "The Natural Way of Farming" it seems like the
      place to start. To quote from the book:

      "Yet, although cultivation without the use of chemical fertilizers is
      possible, crops cannot immediately be grown successfully without fertilizers
      on fields that are normally plowed and weeded. ...one must make an effort
      to return to that natural state which preceded the development of the
      methods of farming used by man."

      This passage, together with several other parts of the book, have led me to
      believe that the way to get the process going on my patch of dirt is to seed
      the whole place in white clover in the next week or two and to make and
      spread the seedballs in the next month or so. In an average year we get
      about 40 inches of rain. From what I've read it seems that the seedballs
      need at least 10 to 12 inches of rain to decompose and release the seeds
      properly. That should be no problem here, but it may be where you are at.

      Using the white clover cover crop is supposed to put nitrogen into the soil,
      loosen the soil, add organic matter, and suppress "weeds" by crowding them
      out and not giving them a chance to grow. It will be interesting to see to
      what extent this really happens.

      Hope this is of some use to you.

      Larry Haftl
      Journalist * Photographer * Videographer
      www.LarryHaftl.com