Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Regarding White Ant problem.

  • monica kumar
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
      hii,
      im monica.i would like to cultivate vanilla in my garden.can u tell me some information about its cultivation?

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
        Dear Dieter, I can quite understand your frustration, I have also spent time
        on and off over the last 6 or so years writing sometimes long-windedly,
        sometimes tersely and sometimes playfully, all in the hope that some*one*
        at least might understand.

        It never seemed to happen.

        I realised a few years ago that this was because I hadn't understood what
        Fukuoka was actually saying.

        I look back now with embarrassment at the first few years of my posts to
        this group, I took so long to explain everything so clearly without ever
        understanding Fukuoka.

        I wonder if we might meet up one day when I'm sure we would communicate so
        much better than we can through this disembodied medium?

        But all we have for now are these electronic words, which seperate us from
        what we actually mean to say...so...

        Nature will not *fix* anything because nothing is broken - this is a human
        conceptualisation inspired from our dualisation of human's and nature.
        This is not an EcoAg list as Fukuoka_Farming is not about farming at all -
        as Fukuoka makes clear in all his books, and having access to his words on
        Med NF you must know this.
        NF is not an attempt at 'growing food to feed people' - "Even if we do
        nothing nature will save us."

        Jamie
        Mas Franch and Souscayrous

        On 1/3/08, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

        > > It would be interesting to see what happened to Dieter's 30 acres
        > > before the ants arrived, but we might never know the cause of the ants
        > > being there.
        >
        > We live in a age of communication in which information arrives everywhere
        > instantaneously and all the time without respite.
        >
        > On the downside, most don't bother to read other peoples comments or
        > to try and understand what they mean. Most are mainly interested in
        > picking out fragments to broadcast their own received ideas. The above
        > is an excellent example illustrating this point. I have clearly explained
        > why there are ants in one place and not in another based on first hand
        > experience for over 10 years. I don't think, I can make it any clearer.
        >
        > To "have a theory" based on something one has read on Google or
        > someplace else and to "have practical experience" are two very different
        > things.
        >
        > The often repeated idea that "nature will fix all" is only applicable if
        > we
        > view the land without people. People need to eat, hence they need to
        > intervene to grow food since most of us have a digestive track different
        > from that of cows who are able to live on grass and weeds (in most
        > places even cows can't survive without a little help from us humans).
        >
        > Patty, Calin et al., I'm not picking on you, I'm sure you mean well.
        > I'm just commenting in a general way on a line of thought that keeps
        > on popping up on many EcAg groups and most of all on this list,
        > and which I feel is not helpful in solving the practical problems of
        > those who try to put natural farming or other types of alternative
        > farming methods into praxis.
        >
        > Today, 60 years after Fukuoka first developed his type of natural
        > farming, 30 years after it was first published and more than 5 years
        > after this group was set up to try and discuss the adoption of
        > natural farming to different environments, Natural Farming, for
        > all intents and practical purposes, might as well not exist as
        > a way of growing food to feed people. Why is that? I believe
        > the tendency to put "ideas" above "practice" has something
        > to do with it.
        >
        > Do comment if you disagree (also if you agree), you are even
        > welcome to pick my statements to pieces to argue your point,
        > we all do. But it may not be a mistake to try and understand
        > the point I'm trying to make.
        >
        > Dieter Brand
        > Portugal

      • Dieter Brand
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
          > ... Fukuoka_Farming is not about farming at all ... (snip)

          Jamie,

          I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one, if words
          are to have a meaning then natural farming is farming, is farming,
          is ... And no matter what interpretation we may attribute to some
          of Fukuoka's words, the man grew his food by an ingenious method
          developed in years of meticulous and painstaking efforts.

          If you decide that farming is not for you, that is quite alright, nobody
          is forced to become a farmer. But those without actual experience
          of growing their own food usually do not appreciate the difficulties
          involved. It is all too easy for city folks to criticize farmers for the way
          they work.

          Best wishes
          Dieter

          PS: No use complaining about disembodied forums, it is up to
          us to embody. But obviously, it takes at least two to dialogue.

        • Jamie Nicol
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
            Dear Dieter, Fukuoka used what he called a 'methodless method' and he came
            to it not through human ingenuity but by letting go all knowledge.

            It is true that I am not a farmer, although I farm (or is that garden? When
            does a gardener become a farmer?)

            Words will always miss their target because they 'thing' the world and what
            I'm trying to express is no 'thing' at all.
            This is as true of a book as it is of an email discussion as it is of a
            finger pointing at the moon.

            Jamie
            Mas Franch and Souscayrous

            On 1/3/08, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

            > > ... Fukuoka_Farming is not about farming at all ... (snip)
            >
            > Jamie,
            >
            > I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one, if words
            > are to have a meaning then natural farming is farming, is farming,
            > is ... And no matter what interpretation we may attribute to some
            > of Fukuoka's words, the man grew his food by an ingenious method
            > developed in years of meticulous and painstaking efforts.
            >
            > If you decide that farming is not for you, that is quite alright, nobody
            > is forced to become a farmer. But those without actual experience
            > of growing their own food usually do not appreciate the difficulties
            > involved. It is all too easy for city folks to criticize farmers for the
            > way
            > they work.
            >
            > Best wishes
            > Dieter
            >
            > PS: No use complaining about disembodied forums, it is up to
            > us to embody. But obviously, it takes at least two to dialogue.

          • Lawrence
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008

              Dieter Brand wrote:
              I guess we just have to agree to disagree on this one, if words
              are to have a meaning then natural farming is farming, is farming,
              is ... And no matter what interpretation we may attribute to some
              of Fukuoka's words, the man grew his food by an ingenious method
              developed in years of meticulous and painstaking efforts.

              You don't have to disagree, just understand that you are talking about the
              same thing from two different perspectives, both of them accurate and valid
              though limited.

              To some, Fukuoka Farming is (or can be) a method for growing food (Dieter's
              perspective). To others it can be a philosophical way of life or approach to
              living that uses growing food as a vehicle or means to achieving a state of
              being more closely in tune with nature and natual processes than might
              otherwise be possible (Jamie's perspective).If I misrepresented either one
              of you in this paragraph I apologize and would welcome correction.

              For those of you who don't know me, I'm the person who set up the Fukuoka
              Farming website (www.fukuokafarmingol.info). Haven't done anything to it for
              quite some time because of matters somewhat unrelated to the topic of the
              website, but I think I'm at a point where I'll be working on it again later
              this month.

              Personally, from what I've seen, heard and experienced I think Fukuoka's
              methods are useful in food production to a point, but only to a point. The
              only farm I know of that used Fukuoka's methods without
              modification/adjustment was Fukuoka's farm, which no longer uses his methods
              because they eventually turned out to be not commercially competitive. The
              work done by Emilia Hazelip and others to adapt/employ his methods to create
              commercially viable market gardens shows more promise for sustained,
              commercial food production. But then so does hydroponics, aquaponics,
              aeroponics, etc.

              I'm going to be changing the website. Probably leave what's there there and
              add other stuff. I'm totally open to suggestions on how to make the website
              more useful. If any of you have any ideas for this then please let me know
              either through this forum or directly at "L at haftl dot com".

              Larry

            • Dieter Brand
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                Jamie,

                "methodless method", you like these things, just as you like
                Meister Eckehart, the dancing Wu-Li Masters (or was that
                someone else?) and so many other icons of my distant youth.
                We can throw ko-ans at each other until we drop dead.

                When we caught the ox we can ride on his back to the market
                square, and, in the end forget all about the ox. Then, words
                will again mean what they always meant, farming will be
                farming again.

                Dieter

                Jamie Nicol <souscayrous@...> wrote:
                Dear Dieter, Fukuoka used what he called a 'methodless method' and he came
                to it not through human ingenuity but by letting go all knowledge.

                It is true that I am not a farmer, although I farm (or is that garden? When
                does a gardener become a farmer?)

                Words will always miss their target because they 'thing' the world and what
                I'm trying to express is no 'thing' at all.
                This is as true of a book as it is of an email discussion as it is of a
                finger pointing at the moon.

                Jamie
                Mas Franch and Souscayrous

                Recent Activity

                6
                New Members

                Visit Your Group
                Best of Y! Groups
                Check it out
                and nominate your
                group to be featured.

                Yahoo! Groups
                Parenting Zone
                Share experiences
                with other parents.

                Dog Fanatics
                on Yahoo! Groups
                Find people who are
                crazy about dogs.

                .

              • Forest Shomer
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Dieter:

                  Yes, the problem in one word is: Ideology.

                  The mind of the True Believer is so beguiled by concepts that it
                  avoids practical experience that might contradict belief. The
                  grasping tendency of that mind seizes upon a seductive "ism" and
                  attempts to defend itself against the challenges of reality, of
                  everyday life experience.

                  Here on this list, "most of all on this list" as you say, we have a
                  dynamic tension between the Orthodox and the Innovative. Neither will
                  successfully convince the other of its own point of view, mirroring
                  the tension that exists in the world at-large, which periodically
                  erupts into open conflict as one -ism attempts to purge another.
                  Ironically, it was the freedom from -ism, the beginner's mind of
                  Fukuoka, that attracted us here initially.

                  We're fortunate that the tension on this list is merely rhetorical.
                  From time to time there is actual communication across the divide and
                  we all may learn something; at most other times there is little
                  learning, more cheer-leading as polar positions get reinforced.

                  C'est la vie.

                  "Out beyond ideas of right and wrong
                  There is a field.
                  I'll meet you there."
                  --(Mevlana) Jelaluddin Rumi

                  This wisdom of nearly 800 years' antiquity provides guidance on how
                  we are to get along, to cooperate in order that there be a
                  FukuokaFarming listserve. Merely recognize an Ideology when it
                  arises, and if it bothers you that isn't your own, just scroll down
                  to the next message. Or patiently engage with it to help the group
                  get a bit closer to mutual understanding.

                  Truly,

                  Forest

                  --
                  Inside Passage Seeds and Native Plant Services
                  Forest Shomer, owner

                • Dieter Brand
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Larry,

                    Welcome back! Thanks for trying to mediate, but don't
                    worry, we are not at each other's throat, it's all very civilized.

                    I wouldn't write off NF, or organic no-till, as a commercial
                    non-starter. Even though it may not be possible to adapt
                    it to many places in the way originally envisaged by Fukuoka.
                    Other than difficult climatic conditions, there are also
                    economic and regulatory conditions, especially in the
                    industrialized West, which make it hard for farmers to
                    go this way.

                    Anyway, I think Fukuoka is still a source of inspiration to
                    many, even in regard to practical gardening/farming matters.
                    There undoubtedly also is the philosophical and spiritual
                    dimension to Fukuoka. I feel in tune with many of his ideas
                    in this respect too. Yet, used in a "dogmatic" way this
                    tends to stifle pragmatic discussions about the question
                    of how to put NF into practice. That, I think is a tragedy.

                    We don't only face a climatic melt down, but unnoticed
                    by many, this goes hand in hand with the contamination of
                    the food chain with innumerable toxic substances that will
                    kill us all sooner or later and a loss of organic matter in
                    agricultural soils on which all live on this planet depends.
                    If NF cannot contribute anything in practical terms to
                    solving these problems, then we might as well forget all
                    about it.

                    Dieter Brand
                    Portugal

                    Dieter Brand wrote:
[...]

                    5
                    New Members

                    Visit Your Group
                    Sitebuilder
                    Build a web site
                    quickly & easily
                    with Sitebuilder.

                    Best of Y! Groups
                    Discover groups
                    that are the best
                    of their class.

                    Shedding Pounds
                    on Yahoo! Groups
                    Read sucess stories
                    & share your own.

                    .

                  • Tradingpost
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Jamie, isn't it american indian languages that don't have separate nouns
                      and verbs? No thing is thought of separate from what it does or what you do
                      with it. All is in flux, all is process. That is so different from western
                      concepts where we add fertilizer to soil and never see the networks of life
                      that make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

                      paul tradingpost@...

                      --Henry David Thoreau

                      On 1/3/2008 at 9:20 AM Dieter Brand wrote:

                      >Jamie,
                      >
                      > "methodless method", you like these things, just as you like
                      > Meister Eckehart, the dancing Wu-Li Masters (or was that
                      > someone else?) and so many other icons of my distant youth.
                      > We can throw ko-ans at each other until we drop dead.
                      >
                      > When we caught the ox we can ride on his back to the market
                      > square, and, in the end forget all about the ox. Then, words
                      > will again mean what they always meant, farming will be
                      > farming again.
                      >
                      > Dieter
                      >
                      >Jamie Nicol <souscayrous@...> wrote:
                      > Dear Dieter, Fukuoka used what he called a 'methodless method'
                      >and he came
                      >to it not through human ingenuity but by letting go all knowledge.
                      >
                      >It is true that I am not a farmer, although I farm (or is that garden?
                      When
                      >does a gardener become a farmer?)
                      >
                      >Words will always miss their target because they 'thing' the world and
                      what
                      >I'm trying to express is no 'thing' at all.
                      >This is as true of a book as it is of an email discussion as it is of a
                      >finger pointing at the moon.
                      >
                      >Jamie
                      >Mas Franch and Souscayrous

                    • Robert Monie
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Hi Larry,

                        Let me second Dieter's welcome back. One update long overdue on your site is to expand the "stars" section. When that sidereal mapping was made, most of us were "seeing stars"; that is, growing stuff in our imagination rather than the soil. Now we've got some real farmers like Dieter growing lots of plants more or less naturally, and they have certainly earned a place on "the map." And those of us who have worked on the soil, have grown used to having our fondest assumptions bite the dust before the reality of nature as it is played out on our little squares of earth.

                        It is an amazing thing that food for humans grows at all amid the forbs and grasses fit for cows; it is an evolutionary wonder that we did not have to develop the cud-chewing capacity and multiplex stomach of the ruminants; instead we developed (with the help of nature) our own kind of food. Reverence, therefore, rather than contempt or indifference is the proper stance for us as we view the handiwork of generations of human plant breeders and farmers of all persuasions, whose names and provenance we will never know, that gave us bok choy, tomatoes, peaches, buckwheat, and all the rest of the foods that grace our tables today.
                        We benefit from all their meddling, their serendipity, their failures, their blood sweat and tears.

                        Bob Monie
                        New Orleans, La 70119

                        Dieter Brand wrote:
[...]

                      • pattyloof
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

                          > I have clearly explained
                          > why there are ants in one place and not in another based on first hand
                          > experience for over 10 years. I don't think, I can make it any
                          clearer.

                          I must have missed it then. Sorry to offend.

                          Patty
                        • Dieter Brand
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 3, 2008
                            Patty,

                            No offence at all. I was saying that, as far as I could
                            see, if ants can find shelter they will multiply in direct
                            proportion to the food available and that in this region,
                            predators, even if they exist elsewhere, didn't have
                            a significant impact on ants.

                            I live on a heavy clay soil, that is ideal for building
                            rammed earth constructions, ants take advantage of
                            this by building extensive tunnels underground. They
                            mainly live on seeds, even though they will also
                            collect dead insects and other things. And since
                            there are plenty of seeds from grass and weeds
                            they have been able to prosper and multiply. Similar
                            conditions have led to large ant populations all around
                            probably since time immemorial, except, in places with
                            sandy soil where ants can't build their tunnels.

                            But as I said, I don't see ants as a pest, they can be
                            a nuisance at times, but they also fulfil many useful
                            functions.

                            Dieter