Ants problem

  • adinsh1
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 28, 2007
      Hello everyone!

      The problem #1 with a direct broadcasting is the ants.
      Are seedballs the only solution to this problem?

      I ask that because it seems that the time and effort invested in
      preparing the seedballs compromise the very idea of Do-nothing Farming.

      With Best Regards,
      Adin.
    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 29, 2007
        Dear friend.
        Direct seeding, Dibling and sowing in lines, you can try if you are getting
        problem in seedball.
        RajyTitus

        On 12/29/07, adinsh1 <adinsh1@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone!
        >
        > The problem #1 with a direct broadcasting is the ants.
        > Are seedballs the only solution to this problem?
        >
        > I ask that because it seems that the time and effort invested in
        > preparing the seedballs compromise the very idea of Do-nothing Farming.
        >
        > With Best Regards,
        > Adin.

      • Jamie Nicol
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
          Dear Adin,
          NF is not about doing nothing but do-nothing,
          Do-nothing Farming is not an idea,
          Do-nothing Farming is not about farming at all.

          Jamie
          Souscayrous and Mas Franch

          On 12/28/07, adinsh1 <adinsh1@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone!
          >
          > The problem #1 with a direct broadcasting is the ants.
          > Are seedballs the only solution to this problem?
          >
          > I ask that because it seems that the time and effort invested in
          > preparing the seedballs compromise the very idea of Do-nothing Farming.
          >
          > With Best Regards,
          > Adin.

        • Dieter Brand
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
            Adin,

            I can use direct broadcasting from mid November through
            end of March when ants are not very active. At other times,
            I need to protect the seeds by soil in one way or another.

            Dieter Brand
            Portugal

            > The problem #1 with a direct broadcasting is the ants.
            > Are seedballs the only solution to this problem?

          • pattyloof
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "adinsh1" <adinsh1@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone!
              >
              > The problem #1 with a direct broadcasting is the ants.
              > Are seedballs the only solution to this problem?
              >
              > I ask that because it seems that the time and effort invested in
              > preparing the seedballs compromise the very idea of Do-nothing Farming.

              I've never had problems with ants here. Are others in your area having
              ant problems too? It could be your location. When I lived in
              California, everyone had ant problems, even inside the house.

              Finding the sort of ant you have and then planting to attract its
              predators might help. (I don't know what eats ants, but someone else
              here might) Do chickens eat ants?

              Good luck with your garden.

              Patty
              Oklahoma, USA
            • Adin Sh
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
                Dear Jamie Nicol!

                I appreciate your puns.
                But the question was about the ants.
                If you have nothing relevant to say, why bother and junk the forum with useless messages?

                Best regards,
                Adin.

                Dear Adin,
                NF is not about doing nothing but do-nothing,
                Do-nothing Farming is not an idea,
                Do-nothing Farming is not about farming at all.

                Jamie
                Souscayrous and Mas Franch

                On 12/28/07, adinsh1 <adinsh1@...> wrote:

                > Hello everyone!
                >
                > The problem #1 with a direct broadcasting is the ants.
                > Are seedballs the only solution to this problem?
                >
                > I ask that because it seems that the time and effort invested in
                > preparing the seedballs compromise the very idea of Do-nothing Farming.
                >
                > With Best Regards,
                > Adin.

              • Bill Maxwell
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2007
                  Adin,

                  Jamie was referring specifically to a line of yours, below, that states
                  preparing seedballs goes against the idea of "Do-Nothing" farming.
                  Fukuoka has stated explicitely that his style of farming is not simply
                  sitting back and letting things go; effort is involved. The effort is
                  similar to swimming with a current, as oppossed to against it. You have
                  to understand the flow of the current and what obstacles lay within it
                  (rocks, eddies, etc.) in order to navigate it well.

                  In specific, when referring to the ants, perhaps your easiest way is to
                  apply a little more effort and make seedballs, which, according to early
                  Fukuoka works and a number of Fukuoka followers, is one of the most
                  effective uses of energy to deal with seed predators. If that doesn't
                  work (perhaps the ants are finding a way to devour your whole
                  seedball?!), trying locating where the ants are coming from and help
                  reshape their pattern. Certain Balinese villagers have kept their
                  gardens and homes 'pest free' because they leave out offerings to the
                  ants close to the nests. The ants don't need to travel farther (and
                  thus endanger themselves) so they don't.

                  I'm sure there are a number of other excellent suggestions out there;
                  attracting predators was a wonderful idea. But before you go knocking
                  over members (no matter how punny or un-punny they are) consider that
                  their words are commenting on your own and can be highly relevant.

                  Bill Maxwell
                  California

                  Adin Sh wrote:

                  > Dear Jamie Nicol!
                  >
                  > I appreciate your puns.
                  > But the question was about the ants.
                  > If you have nothing relevant to say, why bother and junk the forum
                  > with useless messages?
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  > Adin.
                  >

                  > Dear Adin,
                  > NF is not about doing nothing but do-nothing,
                  > Do-nothing Farming is not an idea,
                  > Do-nothing Farming is not about farming at all.
                  >
                  > Jamie
                  > Souscayrous and Mas Franch
                  >
                  > On 12/28/07, adinsh1 <adinsh1@yahoo. com <mailto:adinsh1%40yahoo.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello everyone!
                  > >
                  > > The problem #1 with a direct broadcasting is the ants.
                  > > Are seedballs the only solution to this problem?
                  > >
                  > > I ask that because it seems that the time and effort invested in
                  > > preparing the seedballs compromise the very idea of Do-nothing Farming.
                  > >
                  > > With Best Regards,
                  > > Adin.

                • Raju Titus
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                    Dear friend.
                    White ant is no problem.Ant is very essential in farm it helps in
                    decomposition of straws .If ant is there it means your farm is in
                    natural condition.Do not afraid go on.
                    Thanks
                    Raju

                    On Dec 30, 2007 9:12 PM, pattyloof <pattyloof@...> wrote:

                    > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "adinsh1" <adinsh1@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello everyone!
                    > >
                    > > The problem #1 with a direct broadcasting is the ants.
                    > > Are seedballs the only solution to this problem?
                    > >
                    > > I ask that because it seems that the time and effort invested in
                    > > preparing the seedballs compromise the very idea of Do-nothing Farming.
                    >
                    > I've never had problems with ants here. Are others in your area having
                    > ant problems too? It could be your location. When I lived in
                    > California, everyone had ant problems, even inside the house.
                    >
                    > Finding the sort of ant you have and then planting to attract its
                    > predators might help. (I don't know what eats ants, but someone else
                    > here might) Do chickens eat ants?
                    >
                    > Good luck with your garden.
                    >
                    > Patty
                    > Oklahoma, USA

                  • Dieter Brand
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                      Patty,

                      A common problem in Natural Farming (NF) is that people
                      jump to conclusions based on their own specific situation.

                      If you don't have problems with ants that doesn't mean that
                      ants can't be a problem elsewhere or that others somehow did
                      something to their land to cause a pest problem. Ants are
                      not a pest anyway, but they can be a nuance when you try
                      to convert to NF.

                      Ants can live where they find shelter and will increase in
                      numbers in direct proportion to the amount of food available.
                      There are no predators, at least not in these parts. My whole
                      land, 30 odd acres, is one big ant hill. The soil is pure clay
                      which is ideal for building tunnels. Seeds from weeds, grass,
                      etc. provide plenty of food. Any seeds I broadcast will be
                      collected immediately, not leaving a single grain in the field.
                      I lost a few hundred kilos in the last couple of years. With
                      the price of clover seed at around 5 euros the kilo that is a
                      serious strain on the purse strings. If I manage to grow a
                      crop despite the ants, they even climb up the wheat stalks
                      to bite off the grains before they are ready to harvest.

                      One way to deal with the ants is to plough. That is what
                      farmers do in this region. The ploughing will destroy the ant
                      tunnels and put the ants in disarray. Before they can reorganize,
                      the seeds have germinated which makes them useless to
                      the ants.

                      A neighbour, 5 miles away, doesn't have any ants. Why?
                      She has got sandy soil, which the ants can't use for building
                      tunnels.

                      Apart from the seed problem, ants also nurture aphides in
                      fruit trees, etc., and get into the house. For fruit trees there
                      are lime rings around the stem. To keep them out off the
                      house you need to use poison, or you might as well move
                      elsewhere.

                      But I wouldn't recommend trying to get rid of the ants, even
                      if that were possible. They are a part of the ecosystem and
                      fulfil a number of useful functions, most of which we are
                      probably not even aware of.

                      For one thing, they are like a clean-up crew. Ants also
                      produce amino acids which is important for dissolving minerals
                      from rocks to make it available for plants.

                      If you managed to exterminate a whole clan, you are likely
                      to get a slug problem the following year that will make you
                      prey for the ants to come back. Slugs can use the tunnels
                      built by the ants to survive months of dry weather. With
                      the ants gone they will use the food store from the ants
                      to nurture new generations of slugs underground.

                      This has gotten longer than it was supposed to get, but you
                      can see that I have a somewhat involved history with our
                      neighbours the ants.

                      A very happy and fruitful New Year to you all.
                      May you remain healthy in body and sound in spirit,
                      wishes you Dieter from Portugal

                      pattyloof <pattyloof@...> wrote:
                      I've never had problems with ants here. Are others in your area having
                      ant problems too? It could be your location. When I lived in
                      California, everyone had ant problems, even inside the house.

                      Finding the sort of ant you have and then planting to attract its
                      predators might help. (I don't know what eats ants, but someone else
                      here might) Do chickens eat ants?

                      Good luck with your garden.

                      Patty
                      Oklahoma, USA

                    • Calin A. Radulescu
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                        Dieter,

                        apart from hiding the seeds away from ants in a ball
                        of clay, i would also try to answer questions such as:

                        1- what critter would be the most efficient ant
                        predator in that particular environment ?
                        2- what keeps that predator from doing its job?

                        wishing all of you a very good year,

                        calin.

                        --- Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • Dieter Brand
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                          Calin,

                          What predator are you talking about?

                          Dieter

                          PS: Seedballs are no good if it doesn't rain. My neighbour
                          was able to sow two months ago

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                            Hit the send button in mid-sentence. Here is the continuation:

                            Seedballs are no good if it doesn't rain. My neighbour
                            was able to sow two months ago and his crop is already
                            2 feed high because he ploughed his field and was able
                            to take advantage of a little soil moisture. I'm still waiting
                            for the rain, and as it looks now it won't come before the
                            end of the year. Which means it will be too late to sow
                            for next year and I will lose another season. It is hardly
                            advisable to tell farmers under such circumstances
                            to convert to natural farming.

                            Dieter

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 31, 2007
                              well, ants are insects and quite a few animals munch
                              on insects. it can be something as easy as a flock of
                              slightly underfed chicken, or encouraging some other
                              wild animal that eats ants naturally in your area to
                              take over your field. i just goggled "what eats ants"
                              and it came up with a number of hits. i am not trying
                              to say that ants are easy to fight; they are there for
                              a reason and also have plenty of enemies, that's all.
                              regards,

                              calin.

                              --- Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:

                              > What predator are you talking about?
                              >
                              > Dieter

                              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                            • Carlos Enrique Kaiser Winkler
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
                                To whom in the natural farming group may know : In my walnut orchard irrigated through "Poritex" - a textile fibre which exudates water all along its walls -I have one problem: There are pupas of longhorned beatle perforating 2 to 3 mm holes in this fibre material. Instead of chemical control, I am searching for a weed to discourage these beatles. Does anybody have suggestions what veggies I may try ? To all the group my thanks -- I am learning much from all your intercourse e- mails. To all , wherever located I wish a good year... WITH RAIN. - Carlos

                                To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.comFrom: diebrand@...: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 04:25:51 -0800Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Ants problem

                                Hit the send button in mid-sentence. Here is the continuation:Seedballs are no good if it doesn't rain. My neighbourwas able to sow two months ago and his crop is already2 feed high because he ploughed his field and was ableto take advantage of a little soil moisture. I'm still waitingfor the rain, and as it looks now it won't come before theend of the year. Which means it will be too late to sowfor next year and I will lose another season. It is hardlyadvisable to tell farmers under such circumstancesto convert to natural farming.DieterDieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:Calin,What predator are you talking about?DieterPS: Seedballs are no good if it doesn't rain. My neighbourwas able to sow two months ago "Calin A. Radulescu" <crandrei@...> wrote:Dieter,apart from hiding the seeds away from ants in a ball of clay, i would also try to answer questions such as:1- what critter would be the most efficient antpredator in that particular environment ? 2- what keeps that predator from doing its job?wishing all of you a very good year,calin.--- Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:__________________________________________________________Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs---------------------------------Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]---------------------------------Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]