Invitation to view Raju's Picasa Web Album - ROAD BACK TO NATURE

  • Raju
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
      Dear friends,
      Please share up dated album.
      Thanks
      Shalini and Raju Titus
      Natural farmer of India.

      http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE
      ----------

      Dear friends,
      Please share up dated album.
      Thanks
      Shalini and Raju Titus
      Natural farmer of India.

      http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE

    • karoubas
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
        Dear Raju and friends,
        This is a great/magnificent demonstration of a natural farm - the
        comments were also right on the mark
        Kostas

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Raju <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends,
        > Please share up dated album.
        > Thanks
        > Shalini and Raju Titus
        > Natural farmer of India.
        >
        > http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE
        > ----------
        >
        > Dear friends,
        > Please share up dated album.
        > Thanks
        > Shalini and Raju Titus
        > Natural farmer of India.
        >
        > http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE

      • Raju Titus
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
          Dear Karoubas,
          Thanks for encouraging comments.
          your's
          Raju

          On 12/5/07, karoubas <karoubas@...> wrote:

          > Dear Raju and friends,
          > This is a great/magnificent demonstration of a natural farm - the
          > comments were also right on the mark
          > Kostas

          > Raju <rajuktitus@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear friends,
          > > Please share up dated album.
          > > Thanks
          > > Shalini and Raju Titus
          > > Natural farmer of India.
          > >
          > > http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE
          > > ----------
          > >
          > > Dear friends,
          > > Please share up dated album.
          > > Thanks
          > > Shalini and Raju Titus
          > > Natural farmer of India.
          > >
          > > http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE

        • Anders Skarlind
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 23, 2007
            Dear Shalini and Rajus and list,
            thanks for your fine photos and report from your fields.
            I have some questions. What is the annual rhythm of the subabul
            bush/shrub/tree? Is it dormant during winter when wheat grows, or is
            it regrowing together with the wheat?
            Which summer crop do you combine with wheat? Is subabul allowed to
            regrow in the summer, or do you (also) growa crop, like rice?
            I notice you grow rice as a summer crop but I didn't catch if you
            alternate rice with wheat in the winter or something else.

            I live in Sweden, and have recently rejoined this list.
            In Sweden we can only grow one crop per year.
            Your success with subabul makes me consider if we could use Siberian
            peashrub (Caragana arborescens) or similar hardy bush/shrub in a similar way.
            Best wishes
            Anders Skarlind

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 25, 2007
              Dear Friend,
              Thank you very much for viewing album and questions.
              We are taking two crops a year, one in rainy season and other in
              winter.In rainy season we grow mainly rice and in winter we grow
              mainly wheat. In summer season is very dry required lot of irrigation
              so we do not take any crop in summer.
              Subabul is a tree once take start it grows without irrigation.In
              rainy season when we goes for rice seeding its hight near about 3 feet
              we put seed balls of rice in the standing Subaul ground cover crop and
              after germination we cut back all Subabul by hands with sickle and
              spread it over germinating rice seedlings.As soon as rice seedlings
              see light they grow very fast and made cover on ground as Subabul
              .This cover do not allow Subabul to grow it remain in hybernaton under
              the cover of rice. After harvesting rice crop, when Subabul sees light
              strat growing again.In winter we again cut it after sowing wheat so it
              will again goes in hybernation and start growing again after wheat
              crop.We harvest wheat in April and seeding rice in July.During this
              period Subabul grows in field and make nice cover up to nearly 3 feet
              hight.

              On 12/24/07, Anders Skarlind <Anders.Skalman@...> wrote:
              > Dear Shalini and Rajus and list,
              > thanks for your fine photos and report from your fields.
              > I have some questions. What is the annual rhythm of the subabul
              > bush/shrub/tree? Is it dormant during winter when wheat grows, or is
              > it regrowing together with the wheat?
              > Which summer crop do you combine with wheat? Is subabul allowed to
              > regrow in the summer, or do you (also) growa crop, like rice?
              > I notice you grow rice as a summer crop but I didn't catch if you
              > alternate rice with wheat in the winter or something else.
              >
              > I live in Sweden, and have recently rejoined this list.
              > In Sweden we can only grow one crop per year.
              > Your success with subabul makes me consider if we could use Siberian
              > peashrub (Caragana arborescens) or similar hardy bush/shrub in a similar
              > way.
              > Best wishes
              > Anders Skarlind
              >
              > At 11:47 2007-12-05, you wrote:
              > >Dear friends,
              > >Please share up dated album.
              > >Thanks
              > >Shalini and Raju Titus
              > >Natural farmer of India.
              > >
              > >http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE

            • Nandan Palaparambil
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 26, 2007
                Dear Raju,

                Do you also mulch using straw from paddy/wheat? Also
                do you use any cowdung or chicken droppings for easy
                decomposition of mulch?

                Regards,
                Nandan

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • sol_behari
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 26, 2007
                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Raju <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                  > Dear friends,
                  > Please share up dated album.
                  > Thanks
                  > Shalini and Raju Titus
                  > Natural farmer of India.
                  >
                  > http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE
                  > ----------
                  >
                  > Dear friends,
                  > Please share up dated album.
                  > Thanks
                  > Shalini and Raju Titus
                  > Natural farmer of India.
                  >
                  > http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/ROADBACKTONATURE

                  Dear friends,

                  I feel part of this family to be interacted with due respect, that
                  we all are trying to follow the great visionary, the dear Masanobu,
                  who is giving a silent massage to whole of the society at large at
                  Global sense; we should feel akin to gather much in a way we
                  experience in our own right situations, arising in different regions,
                  we are put in, by the command of our free Wills.

                  Anyway I am living in the remote part of hill area of Himachal
                  Pradesh doing natural Apple farming for the last fifteen years on
                  simple local grass mulching, even not knowing the botanical names
                  these grasses, still I feel, encouraging results are coming in the
                  form of natural taste, good color and shine; reducing the cost of
                  inputs to a great extent.

                  I visited Hoshangabad may be twelve years back, meeting Shalini and
                  Raju, felt doing well in their respective farm. I congratulate them
                  for thier effort to make an album to honour Masabobu, the way they
                  want.

                  Yours Own As

                  Bhogeshwar Singh Maghara
                • Raju Titus
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 26, 2007
                    Dear friend,
                    Thank you very much for viewing album and questions.
                    Mulching and fertilizing is not extra work. We are simply returned all
                    crop residues and waste to field.
                    Cow dung and chiken droppings if available as waste than we give back
                    but we are not worried about decomposetion of mulch this is Natures
                    work never withheld.
                    Thank you again
                    Raju

                    On Dec 26, 2007 2:01 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > fields.
                    > > > I have some questions. What is the annual rhythm
                    > > of the subabul
                    > > > bush/shrub/tree? Is it dormant during winter when
                    > > wheat grows, or is
                    > > > it regrowing together with the wheat?
                    > > > Which summer crop do you combine with wheat? Is
                    > > subabul allowed to
                    > > > regrow in the summer, or do you (also) growa crop,
                    > > like rice?
                    > > > I notice you grow rice as a summer crop but I
                    > > didn't catch if you
                    > > > alternate rice with wheat in the winter or
                    > > something else.
                    > > >
                    > > > I live in Sweden, and have recently rejoined this
                    > > list.
                    > > > In Sweden we can only grow one crop per year.
                    > > > Your success with subabul makes me consider if we
                    > > could use Siberian
                    > > > peashrub (Caragana arborescens) or similar hardy

                  • Dieter Brand
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 26, 2007
                      > > <Anders.Skalman@ telia.com> wrote:
                      > > > Your success with subabul makes me consider if we
                      > > could use Siberian
                      > > > peashrub (Caragana arborescens) or similar hardy
                      > > bush/shrub in a similar way.

                      Anders,

                      In semiarid regions, perennials like acacias, once established,
                      have the great advantage that they can survive months of drought
                      while most annuals have already withered and died.

                      In Sweden, where this is not a factor, you probably have plenty
                      of options to grow crops for biomass, N-fixing or weed suppression
                      much more effectively by using annual cover crops. In fact, the shade
                      from the perennials may not be all that welcome in a northerly
                      country.

                      Having said that, it is of course a good idea to plant some trees
                      and bushes. I'm a strong believer in feeding the soil a rich and
                      varied diet comprising both green annuals and woody perennials.

                      Dieter Brand
                      Portugal

                    • Anders Skarlind
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 26, 2007
                        Dear Raju
                        Thankyou for your reply. Now I understand your seasons better.
                        It is interesting that you can hold subabul back this way, when you
                        need to. I wonder if it is more than the mulch and the shadowing
                        effect of the grain crop in this. If I may guess, perhaps also the
                        wheat or rice will take nutrients and water and/or send out some
                        chemical signals that inhibits the subabul. I think in general terms
                        nature always wants something to grow, so if you can offer a suitable
                        crop plant, sown in the right way at the right time, it can often
                        hold back its own plants.
                        Kind regards
                        Anders

                        At 06:49 2007-12-26, you wrote:
                        >Dear Friend,
                        >Thank you very much for viewing album and questions.
                        >We are taking two crops a year, one in rainy season and other in
                        >winter.In rainy season we grow mainly rice and in winter we grow
                        >mainly wheat. In summer season is very dry required lot of irrigation
                        >so we do not take any crop in summer.
                        >Subabul is a tree once take start it grows without irrigation.In
                        >rainy season when we goes for rice seeding its hight near about 3 feet
                        >we put seed balls of rice in the standing Subaul ground cover crop and
                        >after germination we cut back all Subabul by hands with sickle and
                        >spread it over germinating rice seedlings.As soon as rice seedlings
                        >see light they grow very fast and made cover on ground as Subabul
                        >.This cover do not allow Subabul to grow it remain in hybernaton under
                        >the cover of rice. After harvesting rice crop, when Subabul sees light
                        >strat growing again.In winter we again cut it after sowing wheat so it
                        >will again goes in hybernation and start growing again after wheat
                        >crop.We harvest wheat in April and seeding rice in July.During this
                        >period Subabul grows in field and make nice cover up to nearly 3 feet
                        >hight.
                      • Anders Skarlind
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 26, 2007
                          Hello Dieter

                          I agree to a large part, but I was thinking like this: the natural
                          climax vegetation here is very much forest. We are working against
                          nature with our open fields with no trees or shrubs. Also my thought
                          was to cut back the shrubs (along ground level) after sowing a grain
                          crop or similar, like Raju does. This way this will not shadow for a
                          while, until they grow back to much. However I am not sure it would
                          work here because
                          a) The shrubs might grow back too fast, so they might interfer with
                          the maturation and harvest of the grain. Here old tall landraces of
                          grains comes to mind.
                          b) After harvest the shrubs would need some time to regrow. It is
                          possible one whole year would need to be devoted to this, so grain
                          could only be grown every second year. This would need to be worked out.

                          In general it is not so easy to adapt Fukuokan methods to this
                          northern country. Some people have tried (including me with some
                          childish attempts long time ago) but noone has really succeeded as
                          far as I know. However I would now like to make some new experiments
                          now. These will probably also include experiments with weedy/herbal
                          cover crops, annual and perennial, like red clover and white clover.

                          Regards
                          Anders

                          At 18:02 2007-12-26, you wrote:
                          > > > could use Siberian
                          > > > bush/shrub in a similar way.
                          >
                          > Anders,
                          >
                          > In semiarid regions, perennials like acacias, once established,
                          > have the great advantage that they can survive months of drought
                          > while most annuals have already withered and died.
                          >
                          > In Sweden, where this is not a factor, you probably have plenty
                          > of options to grow crops for biomass, N-fixing or weed suppression
                          > much more effectively by using annual cover crops. In fact, the shade
                          > from the perennials may not be all that welcome in a northerly
                          > country.
                          >
                          > Having said that, it is of course a good idea to plant some trees
                          > and bushes. I'm a strong believer in feeding the soil a rich and
                          > varied diet comprising both green annuals and woody perennials.
                          >
                          > Dieter Brand
                          > Portugal
                        • Nandan Palaparambil
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 27, 2007
                            Dear Raju,

                            Thanks for the reply. Probably I might have already asked you this question - but I can not remember the yield from your paddy per acre.

                            Bringing the land to NF conditions quickly is important for lots of the farmers who
                            lives from this income.

                            Recently I had met Deepack Suchde who is promoting the Natueco method of cultivation, and they use cowdung heavily (for preparing nursery soil) to bring the soil to fertile condition and rest of the activities are similar to NF. They claim a yield of 50 quintals per acre for paddy.

                            Regards,
                            Nandan

                            Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:
                            Dear friend,
                            Thank you very much for viewing album and questions.
                            Mulching and fertilizing is not extra work. We are simply returned all
                            crop residues and waste to field.
                            Cow dung and chiken droppings if available as waste than we give back
                            but we are not worried about decomposetion of mulch this is Natures
                            work never withheld.
                            Thank you again
                            Raju

                            Recent Activity

                            5
                            New Members

                            1
                            New Links

                            Visit Your Group
                            Moderator Central
                            Yahoo! Groups
                            Get the latest news
                            from the team.

                            Drive Traffic
                            Sponsored Search
                            can help increase
                            your site traffic.

                            Endurance Zone
                            on Yahoo! Groups
                            Communities about
                            higher endurance.

                            .

                          • Raju Titus
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 28, 2007
                              Dear Nandan,
                              I know Mr Sachdeve he visited my farm,he showed me one film about his
                              method.I am not agree with him because they are bringing organic matter from
                              out side of the field for making compost.Bringing any organic matter from
                              out side is exploitation making poor and week.Second use of
                              cowdung/jeggery/herbs is again pushing us towards market and these things
                              are not available in pure form. Any thing you bring from out side can create
                              pollution.
                              We believe in pure natural farming which is based on Do nothing the
                              AKARMA.Direct seeding and leaving all crop residues is not work at
                              all.Second question about yield I am not claiming about extraordinary yield
                              at present I am satisfied with my yield which is equivalent to best yield
                              of our area but my goal is one ton per quarter acer and above.In the
                              beginning if wheat and rice not give proper yield we can take
                              legumes.Legumes give better result in poor soil.Natueco is not natural way
                              farming is also scientific way of farming based on human mind.If you will
                              not remove fertilizer and killing of weeds and insects mentality from your
                              mind you can not leave tilling at all.Natural way of farming is nonviolent
                              way of farming.Killing by Malathion or Neem is same.
                              Thank you very much Nandan I like these type of questions in our group
                              really you are great.
                              Raju

                              On 12/28/07, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

                              > Dear Raju,
                              >

                              > Thanks for the reply. Probably I might have already asked you this
                              > question - but I can not remember the yield from your paddy per acre.
                              >
                              > Bringing the land to NF conditions quickly is important for lots of the
                              > farmers who
                              > lives from this income.
                              >
                              > Recently I had met Deepack Suchde who is promoting the Natueco method of
                              > cultivation, and they use cowdung heavily (for preparing nursery soil) to
                              > bring the soil to fertile condition and rest of the activities are similar
                              > to NF. They claim a yield of 50 quintals per acre for paddy.
                              >

                              > Regards,
                              > Nandan
                              >

                              > Raju Titus <rajuktitus@... <rajuktitus%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                              > Dear friend,
                              > Thank you very much for viewing album and questions.
                              > Mulching and fertilizing is not extra work. We are simply returned all
                              > crop residues and waste to field.
                              > Cow dung and chiken droppings if available as waste than we give back
                              > but we are not worried about decomposetion of mulch this is Natures
                              > work never withheld.
                              > Thank you again
                              > Raju
                              >
                              > Recent Activity
                              >
                              > 5
                              > New Members
                              >
                              > 1
                              > New Links
                              >
                              > Visit Your Group
                              > Moderator Central
                              > Yahoo! Groups
                              > Get the latest news
                              > from the team.
                              >
                              > Drive Traffic
                              > Sponsored Search
                              > can help increase
                              > your site traffic.
                              >
                              > Endurance Zone
                              > on Yahoo! Groups
                              > Communities about
                              > higher endurance.
                              >
                              > .

                            • Nandan Palaparambil
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 28, 2007
                                Dear Raju,

                                If you are able to manage 1 ton per quarter acre that
                                is really good yield and that also with minimal
                                effort. But I hope you would have taken a number of
                                years to achieve this result.

                                The reason why I got attracted to Natueco was the good
                                yield at the start itself. Even some of the members in
                                the list had mentioned about making the land fertile
                                by adding organic matter from outside, since this is
                                only a one time job, it was reasonable to me. So I was
                                considering Natueco only for the initial build up of
                                the soil.

                                Also yield is the only way to make common farmers get
                                attracted to the NF way. Most of the people I talk,
                                just redicule the idea of NF way of farming, even
                                though I am convinced personally.

                                I had good amount practical knowledge from this list
                                and especially from your experience.

                                I have just completeted the agreement for buying 6
                                acres of land and will be starting my first set of
                                real experiments by April of this year. The land has
                                some mango trees, cocunut trees, ginger and paddy.

                                Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                              • Raju Titus
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 28, 2007
                                  Dear friend,
                                  you wrote
                                  >I have just completeted the agreement for buying 6
                                  acres of land and will be starting my first set of
                                  real experiments by April of this year. The land has
                                  some mango trees, cocunut trees, ginger and paddy.
                                  ---Now in this stage no need to confuse.You are going in correct
                                  direction.Already your land is in good condition.
                                  Zero tillage,no need of any fertilizer and chemicals is
                                  sufficient.Atpresent Natuco has no
                                  evidence.You are in India you can see and do acordingly.I am sure no body
                                  can take miraculus yield without loss.

                                • Raju
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 4, 2009
                                    Dear ramana and friends,
                                    Pleas share this album.

                                    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=rajuktitus&target=ALBUM&id=5129665105745610129&authkey=Gv1sRgCI2s3rSeqMnZ5wE&invite=CPzwkpED&feat=email

                                  • yajnesh shetty
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 4, 2009
                                      Dear Rajuji,
                                      Thanks for sharing the pics! You are doing a great job in spreading awareness.
                                      A couple of questions. What varieties of rice and wheat do you use? Do you make seed balls exclusively of rice seeds or do you add other  seeds which  may have  complementary benefits?
                                                                                                               Regards,
                                                                                                            Dr Yajnesh Shetty.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 4, 2009
                                        Dear friend,
                                        We are using traditional varieties of rice which are locally available. We
                                        are making sedballs with clay soil in winter. and broadcast pallets in
                                        winter. We are not adding any thing in pallets.For nitrogen fixing we are
                                        using mathy in winter and mung in summer.
                                        Thanks
                                        Raju Titus
                                        Hoshangabad.M.P.India.

                                        On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:29 PM, yajnesh shetty <yajnesh@...> wrote:

                                        > Dear Rajuji,
                                        > Thanks for sharing the pics! You are doing a great job in spreading
                                        > awareness.
                                        > A couple of questions. What varieties of rice and wheat do you use? Do you
                                        > make seed balls exclusively of rice seeds or do you add other seeds which
                                        > may have complementary benefits?
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        > Dr
                                        > Yajnesh Shetty.
                                        >
                                        > --- On Fri, 12/4/09, Raju <rajuktitus@... <rajuktitus%40gmail.com>>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >
                                        > From: Raju <rajuktitus@... <rajuktitus%40gmail.com>>
                                        > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Invitation to view Raju's Picasa Web Album -
                                        > ROAD BACK TO NATURE
                                        > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        > Date: Friday, December 4, 2009, 1:47 PM
                                        >

                                        > Dear ramana and friends,
                                        >
                                        > Pleas share this album.
                                        >
                                        > http://picasaweb. google.com/ lh/sredir? uname=rajuktitus &target=ALBUM&
                                        > id=5129665105745 610129&authkey= Gv1sRgCI2s3rSeqM nZ5wE&invite= CPzwkpED&
                                        > feat=email

                                      • Kiran Kandhimalla
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 4, 2009
                                          Dear Sir,

                                          Great work. Thank you very much for sharing and popagating and teaching
                                          natural farming methods and techniques.

                                          Best Regards

                                          Kiran