RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: economic approach

  • Linda Shewan (Yahoo)
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
      It is true that fertilizer has no part in natural farming but we have also
      had many discussions on this list about the fortune of some to slowly build
      their natural farm while living on the money of other employment and at the
      same time, looking down on those who are farming artificially but are simply
      doing what they can and what they know in order to survive.

      This move by the government of Malawi does mean improved profits for large
      multinational fertilizer companies – but on the other hand it means survival
      of the people. And dependence on themselves not on aid. And a movement away
      from destructive world bank globalization policies of growing cash crops for
      export and back to growing food for the people of Malawi. Now they just need
      to learn how to do it better!

      Does anyone believe throwing seedballs is an option for destitute starving
      people? Or waiting for the land to naturally regenerate/re-vegetate. Fukuoka
      farming is a goal for these people but right now they need options that feed
      them THIS YEAR. Now is the time for education and change. Those of us with
      knowledge of ‘another way’ now have our chance. If you read the article -
      the subsidies have been reduced and many people are not getting them this
      year. The children and elderly have first access in the village they
      discussed. These other farmers will not have the money to buy the same
      amount of fertilizer and thus may be open to organic methods that can offer
      true living food.

      Tell me what you would do if you needed to rescue your country from
      starvation and poverty in ONE year. It is an incredible achievement. Organic
      farming of any kind requires huge levels of education and is a long term
      solution – one that can now be tackled since the base problem of starvation
      has been addressed.

      We have had posts about all sorts of completely unsustainable products being
      used as soil additives including soy meal (which may or may not contain GE
      organisms) and many others. These posts have been applauded for their vegan
      suitability but are also not available to those without cash. Superphosphate
      is generally phosphate rock with acid added so the rock breaks down faster.
      It’s not good but it grows food of some level and when you have no knowledge
      of another way – what can you do.

      PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG. I have never used chemical fertilizer and never
      will. I am not advocating the use of chemical fertilizers. But I do feel it
      is very arrogant to suggest that wealthy westerners should be asserting our
      ideals on a country of malnourished people. Unless you personally are over
      there educating and providing food in the FIRST YEAR – then I do not feel it
      is correct to challenge a system that offers life, at whatever level.

      Now this man – Shripad A. Dabholkar has a way of providing food in one
      season using common waste
      http://shourie.bharatvani.org/articles/19970705.htm and incredible yields at
      that. His book ‘Plenty for All’ is available through Other India bookstore,
      as is R.T. Doshi who uses Dabholkar’s method for city farming with huge
      success. And this tree –Moringa oleifera -
      http://treesforlife.org/project/moringa/default.en.asp has the potential to
      save people’s lives as it is so incredibly nutritious, can purify water etc.
      These are natural short term options - but natural farming – it’s long term.

      Instead of being offended - take the article as a challenge. Here is an
      opportunity to help. Find a Malawi blog or website and contribute thoughts
      of natural farming to it. Do something positive to help them move them into
      a future of real food.