economic approach

  • Barbié olivier
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
      When the economic approach of the food production start to change...

      http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/01/africa/02malawi.php#end_main

      Olivier Barbié

      http://perso.orange.fr/Olivier.Barbie/
      Tel. : 06 18 76 67 27

      Professeur agrégé
      IUT de Cachan, Paris XI
      Département GEii1
      9 Av de la division Leclerc
      94234 CACHAN

      Laboratoire PHARE
      Université de Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne
      Maison des Sciences Economiques
      106-112 bd de L'Hôpital
      75647 Paris Cedex 13

    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hi Barbie,

        I'm puzzled as to what this article has to do with natural, sustainable, or even organic farming. All it says is that when the people of Malawi couldn't get fertilizer, they couldn't grow much, and now that the Malawi government is making fertilizer widely available by subsidies, the local farmers are growing more food crops. No mention of cover crops, forest farming, dynamic nutrient accumulators, humus-building perennial grass and forb lays, or nitrogen-fixing plants--just an ill-defined category, "fertilizer."

        Bob Monie
        New Orleans, La

        Barbié olivier <olivierbarbie@...> wrote:
        When the economic approach of the food production start to change...

        http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/01/africa/02malawi.php#end_main

        Olivier Barbié

        http://perso.orange.fr/Olivier.Barbie/
        Tel. : 06 18 76 67 27

        Professeur agrégé
        IUT de Cachan, Paris XI
        Département GEii1
        9 Av de la division Leclerc
        94234 CACHAN

        Laboratoire PHARE
        Université de Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne
        Maison des Sciences Economiques
        106-112 bd de L'Hôpital
        75647 Paris Cedex 13

      • brunohenrileroy
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
          Monsieur Barbié,
          I am french living in Madagascar, and simply a vegetable grower and
          gardener. I have just read the article you sent but i have not
          understood what it is doing on this yahoo group?
          Are you trying to tell us that fertilizer is the best way to end famine?
          If that is so, please start reading Mr Fukuoka's book "la révolution
          d'un seul brin de paille", you will find it cheap at the FNAC in Paris.
          If you had not noticed, we are all, on this fukuoka group, getting rid
          of chemicals and plowing. The article you sent has no place here!
          Maybe you made a mistake and wanted to send it somewhere else?
          If you sent it intentionnally, I am sorry to say that no one here will
          follow your advice.
          Please feel free to reply but, even if we are not shut to other ways
          of cultivating the earth, this one you sent is definitely out of the
          subject.
          Sincerely.
          bruno leroy

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Barbie,
          >
          > I'm puzzled as to what this article has to do with natural,
          sustainable, or even organic farming. All it says is that when the
          people of Malawi couldn't get fertilizer, they couldn't grow much, and
          now that the Malawi government is making fertilizer widely available
          by subsidies, the local farmers are growing more food crops. No
          mention of cover crops, forest farming, dynamic nutrient accumulators,
          humus-building perennial grass and forb lays, or nitrogen-fixing
          plants--just an ill-defined category, "fertilizer."

          > Bob Monie
          > New Orleans, La
          >
          > Barbié olivier <olivierbarbie@...> wrote:
          > When the economic approach of the food production start to
          change...

          > http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/01/africa/02malawi.php#end_main
          >
          > Olivier Barbié
          >

          > http://perso.orange.fr/Olivier.Barbie/
          > Tel. : 06 18 76 67 27
          >
          > Professeur agrégé
          > IUT de Cachan, Paris XI
          > Département GEii1
          > 9 Av de la division Leclerc
          > 94234 CACHAN
          >
          > Laboratoire PHARE
          > Université de Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne
          > Maison des Sciences Economiques
          > 106-112 bd de L'Hôpital
          > 75647 Paris Cedex 13

        • jason.bijl
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
            Hello,
            This is my first post here on the board and though it has been said
            already that his topic need to be clarified, I would like to state
            that upon reading the article it did occur to me that the although the
            approach of using subsidies to was to reduce the extent of low crop
            yield due to soil depletion, it does raise a fundamental
            social-economic question; Who's interests are satisfied by the money's
            made available through developmental aid.
            I would like to state that I do not object to this post, however I
            believe that we need to know what the personal motivation for bringing
            this to our attention was.
            It may be that some will look at this as an encouraging outcome for
            the people of Malawi, in knowing that chemical fertilization only
            treats a symptom of soil degeneration; but overall it would be naive
            not to imagine it's marketing potential globally for the use of
            fertilizers in development aid programs; and then also, once again, to
            who's benefit will it be for.

            Sincerely,
          • Linda Shewan (Yahoo)
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2007
              It is true that fertilizer has no part in natural farming but we have also
              had many discussions on this list about the fortune of some to slowly build
              their natural farm while living on the money of other employment and at the
              same time, looking down on those who are farming artificially but are simply
              doing what they can and what they know in order to survive.

              This move by the government of Malawi does mean improved profits for large
              multinational fertilizer companies – but on the other hand it means survival
              of the people. And dependence on themselves not on aid. And a movement away
              from destructive world bank globalization policies of growing cash crops for
              export and back to growing food for the people of Malawi. Now they just need
              to learn how to do it better!

              Does anyone believe throwing seedballs is an option for destitute starving
              people? Or waiting for the land to naturally regenerate/re-vegetate. Fukuoka
              farming is a goal for these people but right now they need options that feed
              them THIS YEAR. Now is the time for education and change. Those of us with
              knowledge of ‘another way’ now have our chance. If you read the article -
              the subsidies have been reduced and many people are not getting them this
              year. The children and elderly have first access in the village they
              discussed. These other farmers will not have the money to buy the same
              amount of fertilizer and thus may be open to organic methods that can offer
              true living food.

              Tell me what you would do if you needed to rescue your country from
              starvation and poverty in ONE year. It is an incredible achievement. Organic
              farming of any kind requires huge levels of education and is a long term
              solution – one that can now be tackled since the base problem of starvation
              has been addressed.

              We have had posts about all sorts of completely unsustainable products being
              used as soil additives including soy meal (which may or may not contain GE
              organisms) and many others. These posts have been applauded for their vegan
              suitability but are also not available to those without cash. Superphosphate
              is generally phosphate rock with acid added so the rock breaks down faster.
              It’s not good but it grows food of some level and when you have no knowledge
              of another way – what can you do.

              PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG. I have never used chemical fertilizer and never
              will. I am not advocating the use of chemical fertilizers. But I do feel it
              is very arrogant to suggest that wealthy westerners should be asserting our
              ideals on a country of malnourished people. Unless you personally are over
              there educating and providing food in the FIRST YEAR – then I do not feel it
              is correct to challenge a system that offers life, at whatever level.

              Now this man – Shripad A. Dabholkar has a way of providing food in one
              season using common waste
              http://shourie.bharatvani.org/articles/19970705.htm and incredible yields at
              that. His book ‘Plenty for All’ is available through Other India bookstore,
              as is R.T. Doshi who uses Dabholkar’s method for city farming with huge
              success. And this tree –Moringa oleifera -
              http://treesforlife.org/project/moringa/default.en.asp has the potential to
              save people’s lives as it is so incredibly nutritious, can purify water etc.
              These are natural short term options - but natural farming – it’s long term.

              Instead of being offended - take the article as a challenge. Here is an
              opportunity to help. Find a Malawi blog or website and contribute thoughts
              of natural farming to it. Do something positive to help them move them into
              a future of real food.

              Linda

              <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com> , Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>