RE: [fukuoka_farming] Clover - Indian Local Name

  • shashi.pkumar@wipro.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 4, 2007
      Dear Rajuji,

      Thank you very much for the reply.

      Currently am exploring weeds/plans what can grow well in saline land, the reason for this has been describer below.

      I bought 3 acres of (~1.2 hectares) of depleted land around 1 year back.

      Observations: Most of the land is saline(80% of total land), fails to soak rain water, and is void vegetation/tree cover.

      AIM: convert land good for sustainable agriculture

      What was done: This monsoon I scattered horse gram (100 KG), daiyancha (local plant which generates lot of mulch, it is a di-cotyledon)(120KG) and jute (120 KG) seeds during this monsoon. Also scattered good amount of Glirisedia, Subabul, Thandadi seeds.

      What else was done: Made a provision for logged water to drain out, hoping that it will take away the salinity.

      Results: So far it has been mixed bag. Jute failed grow beyond few inches and died, daiyancha grew for around 1.5 to 2 feet and died and horse gram has grown ok (in about 20% of the land) but only in the non saline land.

      Help I need: Please suggest/guide how can I get the land corrected may be in next couple of years. Please suggest a non chemical way of treating my land.

      Thank you very much for your help.

      Regards
      Shashi

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 5, 2007
        Hi

        Leucaena leucocephala

        http://www.odi.org.uk/fpeg/publications/greyliterature/socialforestry/relwani/index.html

        Olivier

        Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> a écrit :
        Raju,

        Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but I have no recollection
        if it has. What acacia is "subabul"? Do you have a botanical name?
        Or is there a website with a description of the plant? Will it grow
        again when cut back to above the ground? Alternately, do you
        know of any acacia or other bush or small tree that will grow again
        after being cut back to the ground?

        Dieter

        Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:
        Dear friend,
        I am Raju Titus doing Fukuoka Farming in Hoshangabad M.P. India since 85-86.
        White clover is a natural weed in Japan it is leguminous. There is no such
        weed is available which grows in abundance in our place..So many indian
        leguminus variety of weeds /crops are available such as Berseem ,lucern etc.
        But Question is what for you are interested? Fukuoka is using this weed in
        his Rice?Wheat rotation field for Ground cover ,weed control,nitrogen
        fixing,insect control,water conservation, organic mulching etc.
        We tried so many varieties but found Subabul (acacia). Subabul is a strong,
        deep rooted ,wild and leguminous for above mentioned uses.I found no any
        natural weed cover which can solve this problem.
        Crops of grass variety do well in non- grass ground cover and leguminous
        crops do well in grass covered land.
        Therefore my advise is instead of elimination of weeds we must learn
        growing crops in natural weed cover of our area.
        Thanks
        Raju

        On 11/5/07, shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar@...> wrote:

        > Dear Sir/List Members
        >

        > Could you please let know local Indian name (Hindi, Kannada, or for that
        > matter any local Indian name) for white clover? Also, could you please let
        > know where will I get White Clover Seeds in India?
        >
        > Regards
        > Shashi

        Olivier Barbié

        http://perso.orange.fr/Olivier.Barbie/
        Tel. : 06 18 76 67 27

        Professeur agrégé
        IUT de Cachan, Paris XI
        Département GEii1
        9 Av de la division Leclerc
        94234 CACHAN

        Laboratoire PHARE
        Université de Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne
        Maison des Sciences Economiques
        106-112 bd de L'Hôpital
        75647 Paris Cedex 13

          I am Raju Titus doing Fukuoka Farming in Hoshangabad M.P. India since 85-86.
          White clover is a natural weed in Japan it is leguminous. There is no such weed is available which grows in abundance in our place..So many indian leguminus variety of weeds /crops are available such as Berseem ,lucern etc.
          But Question is what for you are interested? Fukuoka is using this weed in his Rice?Wheat rotation field for Ground cover ,weed control,nitrogen fixing,insect control,water conservation, organic mulching etc.
          We tried so many varieties but found Subabul (acacia). Subabul is a strong, deep rooted ,wild and leguminous for above mentioned uses.I found no any natural weed cover which can solve this problem.
          Crops of grass variety do well in non- grass ground cover and leguminous crops do well in grass covered land.
          Therefore my advise is instead of elimination of weeds we must learn growing crops in natural weed cover of our area.
          Thanks
          Raju

          On 11/5/07, shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar@...> wrote:

          > Dear Sir/List Members
          >

          > Could you please let know local Indian name (Hindi, Kannada, or for
          > that matter any local Indian name) for white clover? Also, could you
          > please let know where will I get White Clover Seeds in India?
          >
          > Regards
          > Shashi

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Robert Monie
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 5, 2007
            Hi Dieter,

            Sababul is most probably the Leucaena leucocephala, also known as "Koa Haole" and
            White Leadtree. It is related to the acacia and generally considered invasive. A good photo and description appears at http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/koa_haole.htm and a bit more information at http://nerdatabank.nic.in/csireconomic.htm.

            In New Orleans, LA most landscapers do not plant acacia; the tree is too prone to insect invasion and destruction in our climate and soil.

            Bob Monie

            Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> wrote:
            Raju,

            Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but I have no recollection
            if it has. What acacia is "subabul"? Do you have a botanical name?
            Or is there a website with a description of the plant? Will it grow
            again when cut back to above the ground? Alternately, do you
            know of any acacia or other bush or small tree that will grow again
            after being cut back to the ground?

            Dieter

            Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:
            Dear friend,
            I am Raju Titus doing Fukuoka Farming in Hoshangabad M.P. India since 85-86.
            White clover is a natural weed in Japan it is leguminous. There is no such
            weed is available which grows in abundance in our place..So many indian
            leguminus variety of weeds /crops are available such as Berseem ,lucern etc.
            But Question is what for you are interested? Fukuoka is using this weed in
            his Rice?Wheat rotation field for Ground cover ,weed control,nitrogen
            fixing,insect control,water conservation, organic mulching etc.
            We tried so many varieties but found Subabul (acacia). Subabul is a strong,
            deep rooted ,wild and leguminous for above mentioned uses.I found no any
            natural weed cover which can solve this problem.
            Crops of grass variety do well in non- grass ground cover and leguminous
            crops do well in grass covered land.
            Therefore my advise is instead of elimination of weeds we must learn
            growing crops in natural weed cover of our area.
            Thanks
            Raju

            On 11/5/07, shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar@...> wrote:

            > Dear Sir/List Members
            >

            > Could you please let know local Indian name (Hindi, Kannada, or for that
            > matter any local Indian name) for white clover? Also, could you please let
            > know where will I get White Clover Seeds in India?
            >
            > Regards
            > Shashi

          • Raju Titus
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 5, 2007
              Friends,
              Subabul is a Australian Acacia known as Mearnsii .In Natural Way of Farming
              Fukuoka used Morisima Acasia.Once it germinate send roots in deep and do not
              die after several time cutting.It germinate and survive by just broad
              casting direct seeding.It can be used where white clover is not
              available.Weare growing Rice/Wheat in the ground cover of
              subabul.Method is very simple we scatter seeds of crop in the standing cover
              of Subabul and when see that crop germinate sufficiently we cut back
              branches of Subabul and mulch on the germinating crop sparshly as Fukuoka
              spreading Rice straws on germinating Wheat.
              Raju

              On 11/5/07, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dieter,
              >
              > Sababul is most probably the Leucaena leucocephala, also known as "Koa
              > Haole" and
              > White Leadtree. It is related to the acacia and generally considered
              > invasive. A good photo and description appears at
              > http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/koa_haole.htm and a bit more information at
              > http://nerdatabank.nic.in/csireconomic.htm.
              >
              > In New Orleans, LA most landscapers do not plant acacia; the tree is too
              > prone to insect invasion and destruction in our climate and soil.
              >
              > Bob Monie
              >
              > Dieter Brand <diebrand@... <diebrand%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
              > Raju,
              >
              > Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but I have no recollection
              > if it has. What acacia is "subabul"? Do you have a botanical name?
              > Or is there a website with a description of the plant? Will it grow
              > again when cut back to above the ground? Alternately, do you
              > know of any acacia or other bush or small tree that will grow again
              > after being cut back to the ground?
              >
              > Dieter
              >
              > Raju Titus <rajuktitus@... <rajuktitus%40gmail.com>> wrote:
              > Dear friend,
              > I am Raju Titus doing Fukuoka Farming in Hoshangabad M.P. India since
              > 85-86.
              > White clover is a natural weed in Japan it is leguminous. There is no such
              > weed is available which grows in abundance in our place..So many indian
              > leguminus variety of weeds /crops are available such as Berseem ,lucern
              > etc.
              > But Question is what for you are interested? Fukuoka is using this weed in
              > his Rice?Wheat rotation field for Ground cover ,weed control,nitrogen
              > fixing,insect control,water conservation, organic mulching etc.
              > We tried so many varieties but found Subabul (acacia). Subabul is a
              > strong,
              > deep rooted ,wild and leguminous for above mentioned uses.I found no any
              > natural weed cover which can solve this problem.
              > Crops of grass variety do well in non- grass ground cover and leguminous
              > crops do well in grass covered land.
              > Therefore my advise is instead of elimination of weeds we must learn
              > growing crops in natural weed cover of our area.
              > Thanks
              > Raju
              >
              > On 11/5/07, shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar%40wipro.com> <
              > shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar%40wipro.com>> wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Sir/List Members
              > >

              > > Could you please let know local Indian name (Hindi, Kannada, or for that
              > > matter any local Indian name) for white clover? Also, could you please
              > let
              > > know where will I get White Clover Seeds in India?
              > >
              > > Regards
              > > Shashi

            • Raju Titus
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 5, 2007
                Photo of Subabul is avilable in fukuoka_farming yahoo groups photos.

              • Robert Monie
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Hi,

                  If you Google the single word "subabul," dozens of links immediately pop up, almost all of them (including many from India) identifying the term with Leucaena leucocephala or a new variety called Leucaena collensi. Almost none of them refer to the acacia variety you mentioned.
                  Examples of Internet articles that equate subabul with Leucaena leucocephala include:

                  Economics of subabul practice
                  Bioevaluation of subabul
                  Subabul toxicity in kids
                  Subabul and eucalyptus
                  Indian seed resources: A New Variety of subabul
                  Subabul, an easy growing tree

                  Obviously, the popular term subabul is not standardized in English and is subject to regional and dialectal differences. To avoid misunderstanding then, it would be best to use the
                  Latin binomial designations for the various types of acacia rather than the variously interpreted "subabul."

                  Bob Monie

                • Robert Monie
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 5, 2007
> [...]

                    > strong,
                    > deep rooted ,wild and leguminous for above mentioned uses.I found no any
                    > natural weed cover which can solve this problem.
                    > Crops of grass variety do well in non- grass ground cover and leguminous
                    > crops do well in grass covered land.
                    > Therefore my advise is instead of elimination of weeds we must learn
                    > growing crops in natural weed cover of our area.
                    > Thanks
                    > Raju
                    >
                    > On 11/5/07, shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar%40wipro.com> <
                    > shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar%40wipro.com>> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dear Sir/List Members
                    > >

                    > > Could you please let know local Indian name (Hindi, Kannada, or for that
                    > > matter any local Indian name) for white clover? Also, could you please
                    > let
                    > > know where will I get White Clover Seeds in India?

                  • Raju Titus
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Dear friend,
                      You are correct there is lot of confusion in names.I checked plant in Google
                      image I found it is Leucaena Leucocephala. I am also sending you
                      photo.downloaded.
                      RajuTitus

                    • Dieter Brand
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 5, 2007
                        Thanks to Bob, Raju and Olivier,

                        That was quick! Yes, plant naming can be tricky.

                        Raju, do you have any pictures showing your fields before and after
                        cutting the Subabul (or Mearnsii)?. What is the spacing of the trees
                        and how much can you cut them back?

                        Dieter Brand
                        Portugal

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 8, 2007
                          Dear Shashi,

                          This suggestion is based on reading and knowledge from this mailing list itself.

                          Since your land is depleted you have to bring it to good condition before completely leaving it to itself. I think you have to mulch your entire land using leaves of different plants and you can apply some cowdung above this to increase the decomposition. Mulching is better done before the monsoon rains.

                          Regards,
                          Nandan

                          shashi.pkumar@... wrote:
                          Dear Rajuji,

                          Thank you very much for the reply.

                          Currently am exploring weeds/plans what can grow well in saline land, the reason for this has been describer below.

                          I bought 3 acres of (~1.2 hectares) of depleted land around 1 year back.

                          Observations: Most of the land is saline(80% of total land), fails to soak rain water, and is void vegetation/tree cover.

                          AIM: convert land good for sustainable agriculture

                          What was done: This monsoon I scattered horse gram (100 KG), daiyancha (local plant which generates lot of mulch, it is a di-cotyledon)(120KG) and jute (120 KG) seeds during this monsoon. Also scattered good amount of Glirisedia, Subabul, Thandadi seeds.

                          What else was done: Made a provision for logged water to drain out, hoping that it will take away the salinity.

                          Results: So far it has been mixed bag. Jute failed grow beyond few inches and died, daiyancha grew for around 1.5 to 2 feet and died and horse gram has grown ok (in about 20% of the land) but only in the non saline land.

                          Help I need: Please suggest/guide how can I get the land corrected may be in next couple of years. Please suggest a non chemical way of treating my land.

                          Thank you very much for your help.

                          Regards
                          Shashi

                          I am Raju Titus doing Fukuoka Farming in Hoshangabad M.P. India since 85-86.
                          White clover is a natural weed in Japan it is leguminous. There is no such weed is available which grows in abundance in our place..So many indian leguminus variety of weeds /crops are available such as Berseem ,lucern etc.
                          But Question is what for you are interested? Fukuoka is using this weed in his Rice?Wheat rotation field for Ground cover ,weed control,nitrogen fixing,insect control,water conservation, organic mulching etc.
                          We tried so many varieties but found Subabul (acacia). Subabul is a strong, deep rooted ,wild and leguminous for above mentioned uses.I found no any natural weed cover which can solve this problem.
                          Crops of grass variety do well in non- grass ground cover and leguminous crops do well in grass covered land.
                          Therefore my advise is instead of elimination of weeds we must learn growing crops in natural weed cover of our area.
                          Thanks
                          Raju

                          On 11/5/07, shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Sir/List Members
                          >

                          > Could you please let know local Indian name (Hindi, Kannada, or for
                          > that matter any local Indian name) for white clover? Also, could you
                          > please let know where will I get White Clover Seeds in India?
                          >
                          > Regards
                          > Shashi

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Raju Titus
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 8, 2007
                            Dear friend Nandan,
                            Any thing which cover land can be used as ground cover
                            crop.Supposeyour land is covered by grass ,you can easily grow
                            leguminous crops like
                            Cow pea ,Black gram, Soybean etc. without tilling.
                            But for Wheat or any grass family grain, non grass cover is essential Cow
                            pea,Black gram,Soy been,Vecth etc. can be used as ground cover crop
                            seasonal.
                            .But we need permanent self seeding and growing variety as white clover and
                            Subabul which will cover land through out the year and will not allow any
                            weed to give problem.
                            "I want to share one story, one of my friend was very much worried about
                            strong local weed known as" Gajar grass".He was unable to take any crop
                            because of this weed.He asked me to do some thing. We explain him about
                            natural way of farming, he agreed for experimentation., we simply scattered
                            Soy been in the cover of Gajar grass in rainy season and ask them to cut
                            back Gajar grass after the germination of Soy been. He did accordingly, and
                            harvested better crop than near by farmers of village."

                            But next year he came back on modern scientific agriculture, with the
                            thought that if we can take good crop without doing any thing , we will get
                            more and more by doing more.This is the one of the reason for non adopting
                            Natural way of farming.
                            Nandan, Gajar grass is also spreading in Banglore.People are very much
                            against of this weed .People saying that this creating some diasease all
                            falls theory, I like it very much it can be used as ground cover in the
                            beginning later we can change as per our convenience.
                            RajuTitus

                            On 11/5/07, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Raju,
                            >
                            > Subabul does not provide any grains or fruits. Is it
                            > possible to use anything like Cowpea or blackgram ? At
                            > least I have heard of farmers using Cowpea in summer.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Nandan
                            >
                            > --- Raju Titus <rajuktitus@... <rajuktitus%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Dear friend,
                            > > I am Raju Titus doing Fukuoka Farming in Hoshangabad
                            > > M.P. India since 85-86.
                            > > White clover is a natural weed in Japan it is
                            > > leguminous. There is no such
                            > > weed is available which grows in abundance in our
                            > > place..So many indian
                            > > leguminus variety of weeds /crops are available such
                            > > as Berseem ,lucern etc.
                            > > But Question is what for you are interested? Fukuoka
                            > > is using this weed in
                            > > his Rice?Wheat rotation field for Ground cover ,weed
                            > > control,nitrogen
                            > > fixing,insect control,water conservation, organic
                            > > mulching etc.
                            > > We tried so many varieties but found Subabul
                            > > (acacia). Subabul is a strong,
                            > > deep rooted ,wild and leguminous for above mentioned
                            > > uses.I found no any
                            > > natural weed cover which can solve this problem.
                            > > Crops of grass variety do well in non- grass ground
                            > > cover and leguminous
                            > > crops do well in grass covered land.
                            > > Therefore my advise is instead of elimination of
                            > > weeds we must learn
                            > > growing crops in natural weed cover of our area.
                            > > Thanks
                            > > Raju
                            > >
                            > > On 11/5/07, shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar%40wipro.com>
                            > > <shashi.pkumar@... <shashi.pkumar%40wipro.com>> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Dear Sir/List Members
                            > > >

                            > > > Could you please let know local Indian name
                            > > (Hindi, Kannada, or for that
                            > > > matter any local Indian name) for white clover?
                            > > Also, could you please let
                            > > > know where will I get White Clover Seeds in India?
                            > > >
                            > > > Regards
                            > > > Shashi

                            > > removed]

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • robin
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 11, 2007
                              dear raju titus,

                              ****this is very important, in my opinion, and bears repeating...********

                              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Raju Titus" <rajuktitus@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Dear friend Nandan,
                              > Any thing which cover land can be used as ground cover
                              > crop.Supposeyour land is covered by grass ,you can easily grow
                              > leguminous crops like
                              > Cow pea ,Black gram, Soybean etc. without tilling.
                              > But for Wheat or any grass family grain, non grass cover is
                              essential Cow
                              > pea,Black gram,Soy been,Vecth etc. can be used as ground cover crop
                              > seasonal.
                              > .But we need permanent self seeding and growing variety as white
                              clover and
                              > Subabul which will cover land through out the year and will not
                              allow any
                              > weed to give problem.
                              > "I want to share one story, one of my friend was very much worried about
                              > strong local weed known as" Gajar grass".He was unable to take any crop
                              > because of this weed.He asked me to do some thing. We explain him about
                              > natural way of farming, he agreed for experimentation., we simply
                              scattered
                              > Soy been in the cover of Gajar grass in rainy season and ask them to cut
                              > back Gajar grass after the germination of Soy been. He did
                              accordingly, and
                              > harvested better crop than near by farmers of village."
                              >
                              > But next year he came back on modern scientific agriculture, with the
                              > thought that if we can take good crop without doing any thing , we
                              will get
                              > more and more by doing more.This is the one of the reason for non
                              adopting
                              > Natural way of farming.
                              > Nandan, Gajar grass is also spreading in Banglore.People are very much
                              > against of this weed .People saying that this creating some diasease all
                              > falls theory, I like it very much it can be used as ground cover in the
                              > beginning later we can change as per our convenience.
                              > RajuTitus

                              *********and also this is a great photo series; it lets me know how nature
                              should look on a natural farm (the kind of natural farm that i'm
                              aiming for).**********

                              http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus/Subabul

                              *******for those of us who feel a need to "take care of what i already
                              have" before buying additional plants and seeds i notice that there
                              are quite a few wild "scrub trees" like black locust, wild cherry,
                              persimmon, black walnut and several others whose names allude me right
                              now, coming up on my grounds, in places where i've stopped mowing.
                              (sorry, i don't know the scientific names either, but pretty much any
                              tree like this will work); they
                              seem to appear around tall weeds. when i come across one of these
                              seedlings, i try to favor it.

                              of course, the deer chew on these, which seems to stimulate more
                              shoots of these trees to come up (i call them my wolf trees). seems
                              like somewhere in "the natural way of farming", sensei fukuoka says to
                              encourage these whispy fast- growing shoots to grow, and then when
                              they get telephone-pole (height) size to fell them and mulch with
                              them. i have
                              found that when deer are allowed to chew/prune on your weeds and
                              trees, they spread low and makes the root stronger, making your soil
                              better and better. and some of these wolf trees outlast the deer and
                              spring up fast to get beyond the range of deer mouths.

                              it seems to me that underneath the ground the roots of the wolf trees
                              knit together the whole area, which makes the ground so stable, like
                              a rain forest. as you so wisely revealed, you can plant legumes where
                              the grass grows, and grass or grains where there are weeds, or mulched
                              areas, or legume filled areas. and plant your veggies where there are
                              lots of legumes. and the trees are so whispy, you get enough sun, to
                              plant crops under them. you just have to open it up some, ever so
                              often, to keep some sun coming in.

                              this summer i planted my cherry tomatoes in with the wild violet,
                              strawberries and wild strawberries and some variegated vinca and
                              didn't stake them. the tomatoes began to travel all over the tops of
                              this ground cover, touching down to the ground when they wanted to,
                              but being cushioned very well by this soft but vigorous ground cover.
                              i got hundreds of healthy happy cherry tomatoes off just one plant!

                              i've got lots of grass, so this week i'm going to shake some alfalfa,
                              hairy vetch and red clover seeds (these are sold at the seed store in
                              my location) around the grass clumps. whatever winter legumes that
                              they sell in your area will work just as well as extra leguminous
                              ground cover. you never
                              know when
                              conditions are perfect for winter legumes such as those.

                              whatever you have will work, just as you say, raju titus...it can be very
                              inexpensive, if you want it to be!***********robin******

                            • Nandan Palaparambil
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 12, 2007
                                Dear Raju,

                                Exciting to know that Soyabean works well over the
                                Gajar grass without any tilling.....

                                It is true, the main reason why NF is not adopted is -
                                people think they can harvest more with their
                                contribution and also they feel restless without doing
                                conventional activities in the farm

                                Gajar grass is widely called Parthenium in Bangalore
                                and is there on any land without building !!!. I
                                haven't tested it myself, but I have heard many
                                people/news paper report indicating that it is
                                allergic. Especially it flowers after the monsoon
                                rains and this is the allergy season in Bangalore, it
                                may be a coincidence also.

                                Regards,
                                Nandan

                              • karoubas
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 19, 2007
                                  Dear Raju, Robin and all

                                  I also think what Raju has said is very important - and we thank him
                                  for it.

                                  But I have reservations/questions about the use of Sababul acacia or
                                  any fast spreading nitrogen fixing acacia, in a working farm.

                                  Fukuoka-san from what I understand has a few Acacia
                                  mearnsii on his farm - he does not use them as a ground cover - he
                                  uses nitrogen fixing clovers - its great that this tree is so useful
                                  to Raju, but many doubts remain in my mind about this path to ground
                                  cover and nitrogen fixing. I will raise a few points, that I hope can
                                  be discussed.

                                  - it must be difficult to walk around on the farm with all the tree
                                  stubs in the ground - as time goes by don't they become thick and
                                  difficult to cut? when you cut them do you have to cut them just below
                                  the soil ?

                                  - if you decide you do not want to use them anymore -how on earth do
                                  you get rid of them ?

                                  - do you grow them even in areas where you grow your vegetables and
                                  wheat ?

                                  - don't all these tree stubs interfere with the farm operations -
                                  fruit, vegetable and wheat/rice harvesting ?

                                  Its a great and fast way to regenerate depleted land - but the main
                                  purpose of a do nothing farm is to do as little as possible - not to
                                  chase after tree stubs ?

                                  These are some of my thoughts, and I put them out for discussion.

                                  As an update the seeding projects here in Greece have gone well - the
                                  weather has cooperated with plenty of rain - the seed balls I have
                                  scattered at a nearby burned out forest, have small trees growing
                                  which makes me very happy.

                                  On my farm the seed balls have germinated - I am looking forward to
                                  spring to see what will survive and grow.

                                  Kostas

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 20, 2007
                                    dear kostas,

                                    do you have a copy of "the natural way of farming? in the section on
                                    "the practice of natural farming" fukuoka-san discusses using many
                                    types of trees, including nitrogen-fixing trees, as part of his fruit
                                    tree orchards (in which he also planted his vegetables). i guess the
                                    term ground cover may have been mistakenly used (by me) in reference
                                    to pea-family trees. he still used clover as ground cover on the
                                    orchard floor along with manageable weeds.

                                    i don't believe he used these trees in his rice and barley fields at
                                    all, only clover and other small legumes. i don't know about his other
                                    grains right off the top of my head including wheat, where he put
                                    those. myself, i mix wheat seeds right in with my seed mixtures and
                                    they grow wherever, sometimes in drifts, sometimes singly. but if you
                                    are selling your wheat or need a big field of it, obviously you would
                                    have to have them in field of their own.

                                    my mind is not good enough to explain these types of questions myself,
                                    but here is a bit of what fukuoka-san says about a fruit tree orchard;

                                    "the same methods used in reforestation can also be used to plant
                                    fruit trees and set up an orchard. one should not clear and smooth the
                                    land with a bulldozer because this disturbs the humus-rich topsoil
                                    built up over a long period of time. land developed with a bulldozer
                                    and left virtually bare for ten years is washed free of it's topsoil,
                                    greatly shortening the economic life of the farm. rather than carting
                                    the trunks, branches, and leaves of felled trees off a contour cleared
                                    orchard site, it makes more sense to arrange this material along
                                    contour lines and wait for it to decompose naturally. the branches
                                    leaves, and roots of the trees decompose after several years, becoming
                                    a source of organic fertilizer that supplies nutrients to the growing
                                    fruit trees. at the same time a cover of organic matter helps to curb
                                    weed growth, prevent soil washout, stimulates the proliferation of
                                    microorganisms, and serves to enrich and otherwise improve the soil.

                                    "because tree branches and leaves when land is cleared interfere
                                    with farming operations, these are generally burned. but, like slash
                                    and burn agriculture, this sends the fertility of the land up in
                                    flames. as for tree roots, these work their way down to the deepest
                                    soil strata, contributing physically to the aggregation and structure
                                    of the soil. in addition, they also serve as a nutrient source and
                                    have a chelating action that solubilizes insoluble nutrients in the
                                    soil. if such valuable organic matter is dug up and disposed of when
                                    the land is cleared, this drastically changes natural conditions and
                                    so damages the soil that it unable to recover, even if holes are later
                                    dug in the ground and the same amount of organic matter returned".

                                    yes, it may be very inconvenient to have tree stubs everywhere,
                                    depending on your choice of farm machines, but, since fukuoka-san only
                                    used small hand tools, i guess it was not too much of a problem for him.

                                    of course, i'm just starting out, so i don't know much about farm
                                    efficiency.just the little bit i've observed over say 3 years and
                                    reading fukuoka-san books and looking up natural farming on the web
                                    and this group. i could very well be ignorant and wrong about many
                                    things. i may have misunderstood what fukuoka-san is saying. but i'm
                                    pretty sure that it is true that this is *a* method of natural
                                    farming, not
                                    necessarily *the* method. and this method of fukuoka-san's is a very
                                    good and well-tested method for the conditions and topography that his
                                    and many other regions have.

                                    i noticed when i felled a series of "tree of heaven" trees (which i
                                    wanted to get rid of) in an area, the ground changed over about two
                                    years. i had to pull the suckers, they become less over time, the
                                    stumps began to decompose, and the ground kind of sunk and formed
                                    small valleys in between the stumps. the border soil around this area
                                    spread out and settled. the soil sinks away from a rotten stump. i'm
                                    still observing the plants that seem to grow in these little valleys,
                                    so far it's clover, alfalfa, grasses, wild strawberry, onions, and
                                    really, everything that i've planted in terms of legumes and easily
                                    germinated plants (turnips, mustards, buckwheat, rye). i'm going to
                                    plant native, cereal, ornamental, indian and forage grasses, and their
                                    companion plants, in the spring and see how they do. mine is not a
                                    working farm at this time, but i'm working toward a grasses-based farm
                                    (it's a girl or an artist thing. ha!just kidding).grasses do well in
                                    lots of mulch. fast growing trees supply the leaves, branches, the
                                    mulch that i need. and the grasses growing near trees and stumps are
                                    very healthy looking. can anyone tell me anything that i need to know
                                    about growing grasses? i'm sure i'm still missing most of the
                                    concepts.but i'll keep trying to find out.

                                    kostas,congrajulations on your seedball successes! what seeds did you
                                    include
                                    in the seedballs? just curious.

                                    i've already been on here too long, but i'd like to come back later
                                    and relate what fukuoka-san says about black wattle (an acacia) and
                                    it's uses and
                                    benefits (in focus to your questions).*********robin***********

                                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "karoubas" <karoubas@...> wrote:

                                    > Dear Raju, Robin and all
                                    >
                                    > I also think what Raju has said is very important - and we thank him
                                    > for it.
                                    >
                                    > But I have reservations/questions about the use of Sababul acacia or
                                    > any fast spreading nitrogen fixing acacia, in a working farm.
                                    >
                                    > Fukuoka-san from what I understand has a few Acacia
                                    > mearnsii on his farm - he does not use them as a ground cover - he
                                    > uses nitrogen fixing clovers - its great that this tree is so useful
                                    > to Raju, but many doubts remain in my mind about this path to ground
                                    > cover and nitrogen fixing. I will raise a few points, that I hope can
                                    > be discussed.
                                    >
                                    > - it must be difficult to walk around on the farm with all the tree
                                    > stubs in the ground - as time goes by don't they become thick and
                                    > difficult to cut? when you cut them do you have to cut them just below
                                    > the soil ?
                                    >
                                    > - if you decide you do not want to use them anymore -how on earth do
                                    > you get rid of them ?
                                    >
                                    > - do you grow them even in areas where you grow your vegetables and
                                    > wheat ?
                                    >
                                    > - don't all these tree stubs interfere with the farm operations -
                                    > fruit, vegetable and wheat/rice harvesting ?
                                    >
                                    > Its a great and fast way to regenerate depleted land - but the main
                                    > purpose of a do nothing farm is to do as little as possible - not to
                                    > chase after tree stubs ?
                                    >
                                    > These are some of my thoughts, and I put them out for discussion.
                                    >

                                    > As an update the seeding projects here in Greece have gone well - the
                                    > weather has cooperated with plenty of rain - the seed balls I have
                                    > scattered at a nearby burned out forest, have small trees growing
                                    > which makes me very happy.
                                    >
                                    > On my farm the seed balls have germinated - I am looking forward to
                                    > spring to see what will survive and grow.
                                    >
                                    > Kostas

                                  • Dieter Brand
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 21, 2007
                                      Kostas,

                                      I think that perennials like acacias are particularly useful in hot
                                      and arid climates where annuals will go dry for part of the year.
                                      During the dry part of the year, the perennials continue to
                                      produce biomass and prevent weeds from getting out of hand.
                                      I’m not convinced that N-fixing of acacias or other leguminous
                                      trees is that important. N volatizes quickly, and if not immediately
                                      used by a crop it will either benefit the weeds or disappear. Also,
                                      it is hardly likely that the N fixed by acacias will be spread evenly
                                      across the whole field. If you want to boost the growth of your
                                      crop, it is far better to grow a legume like vetch, lupines or clover
                                      prior to growing your crop. I have never come across any data
                                      regarding the amount of N fixed by acacias or information about
                                      when this N is made available to other plants. Anyway, what I
                                      want to say with this long introduction is that, in a hot and dry
                                      climate, any perennial (bush, shrub, tree or perennial grass) that
                                      will grow well in that climate is suitable for producing the biomass
                                      whose carbon and other nutrients will build soil organic matter
                                      and improve soil quality over the long run. This is more important
                                      than the N fixed by acacias.

                                      Regarding how to use perennials in agriculture, I can imagine
                                      a number of scenarios:
                                      A) Litter from a few large trees in the fields aliments the soil and
                                      suppresses weeds. After sowing a crop, some of the branches are cut
                                      to cover the seeds and to let in more sunlight. What needs to be tested
                                      is to what degree germination and crop growth will be inhibited by
                                      the trees and their leaves.
                                      B) A crop is broadcast into native shrubs or low growing bushes and
                                      trees. The shrubs etc. are then cut to cover the seeds. This works
                                      well, but can’t be practiced every year, since the native shrubs usually
                                      take at least two years to grow again from seed.
                                      C) Shrubs, low-growing bushes or perennial grasses (vetiver grass has
                                      been mentioned) that will grow again after cutting are planted in rows.
                                      The crop is sown between the rows and the perennials are either cut to
                                      the ground or as a low hedge. The cuttings will cover the seeds and
                                      feed the soil. What needs to be tested is to what degree the roots of
                                      the perennials, that keep on growing, will interfere with the crop. It
                                      always comes down to what combination of plants to chose.

                                      There are probably other ways of using perennials in agriculture.

                                      Dieter Brand
                                      Portugal

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 2, 2007
                                        At 2:37 PM +0000 11/20/07, robin wrote:
                                        .... i'm going to
                                        plant native, cereal, ornamental, indian and forage grasses, and their
                                        companion plants, in the spring and see how they do. mine is not a
                                        working farm at this time, but i'm working toward a grasses-based farm
                                        (it's a girl or an artist thing. ha!just kidding).grasses do well in
                                        lots of mulch. fast growing trees supply the leaves, branches, the
                                        mulch that i need. and the grasses growing near trees and stumps are
                                        very healthy looking. can anyone tell me anything that i need to know
                                        about growing grasses? i'm sure i'm still missing most of the
                                        concepts.but i'll keep trying to find out.

                                        For info on growing grasses, look into the Land Institute in Kansas,
                                        which is mentioned in this article on perennial wheat:

                                        http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/24/HOFKT0670.DTL

                                        The potential for growing food from perennial crops

                                        Deborah K. Rich, Special to The Chronicle

                                        Saturday, November 24, 2007

                                        Perennial crops have great potential. Yet they hardly figure in the
                                        world's calorie consumption.

                                        The world's major grains, food legumes and oilseeds - including all
                                        of its wheat, rice, corn, barley, soybeans, cottonseed and dry beans
                                        - are annuals. These crops covered 80 percent of harvested cropland
                                        in 2004.

                                        A food system based upon plants that start each growing season anew
                                        from seeds is inherently risky.

                                        Farmers' efforts to reduce the risk often degrade soil and water and
                                        accelerate the buildup of greenhouse gasses.

                                        Many crop seeds won't germinate if the soil is too hot, cold, wet,
                                        dry, crowded or full of clods. With plow and disc, farmers clear the
                                        soil of weeds and debris and slice it into a fine crumb. If it's a
                                        spring planting, they wait for the soil to warm. For a fall planting,
                                        they wait for it to cool. In the arid West, farmers "irrigate up"
                                        before planting; in the changeable Midwest, they squeeze in planting
                                        between thunderstorms.

                                        Weeds enjoy the farmers' carefully prepared seedbed just as much as
                                        crops. Farmers cultivate, spray herbicides or hoe to keep weeds under
                                        control while their crops get established.

                                        There is a beginning for perennials as well, complete with seedbed
                                        and coddling of seedlings. But the initial soil disturbance and
                                        fieldwork pay off for several years.

                                        Alfalfa, a legume grown for animal feed, often produces for five
                                        years or more. Without the need to disc and plant each year, tractor
                                        use is less, fuel use declines and the soil suffers less degradation.

                                        Agroecologist Jerry Glover of the Land Institute demonstrates the
                                        power of perennial plants.

                                        Arms outstretched, he holds up a clump of annual wheat in one hand
                                        and a handful of wild perennial wheatgrass in the other. While the
                                        slender roots hanging from the clump of wheat fall barely to Glover's
                                        elbow, the boisterous tangle of wheatgrass roots tumbles down to his
                                        feet.

                                        "You can visualize roots as a series of safety nets for the soil," he
                                        says. "Safety nets not only with depth, but extending over time."

                                        Within the first year of planting, the roots of perennial crops leave
                                        little room for weeds. Glover thinks that a reduction in herbicide
                                        costs of four to 8 1/2 times is a conservative estimate.

                                        "I have 5-year-old wheatgrass plots that are weed-free and have never
                                        had herbicides," says Glover. That saves money, reduces tractor
                                        passes and benefits environmental health.

                                        Perennial crops extend the growing season, partly by already being in
                                        the ground as winter is ending. In states such as Kansas, where the
                                        Land Institute is located, it isn't unusual for only half the days in
                                        a month to be suitable for planting.

                                        Perennials start growing first. "Root activity can take place at much
                                        cooler temperatures than seeds can germinate," he said.

                                        They also stretch out the growing season. In late September, Glover's
                                        wheatgrass had already regrown 4 to 6 inches after being harvested in
                                        August while he waits to reseed his wheat field.

                                        "Our annual winter wheat won't do well at all in July or August,"
                                        says Glover. "It doesn't even matter if we can get the seed to
                                        germinate; the winter wheat just can't grow in those temperatures,
                                        and the surface of the soil is too dry for the seedlings. Yet our
                                        perennial wheatgrass, because its roots are deep down, is able to
                                        reach where the soil is more buffered against extremes in temperature
                                        and moisture."

                                        Reaching deep into the soil year-round, perennial roots make more
                                        efficient use of nitrogen inputs, half of which can leach out of the
                                        root zone before plants can make use of it.

                                        "Nitrogen in the soil typically moves with water," says Glover. "You
                                        don't want to have water flowing through the system unused. Picture
                                        Iowa in April or May. There's no crop growing because it's too cold,
                                        but yet they're getting a lot of rainfall."

                                        Not only are nitrate losses a waste of an expensive input - the price
                                        of nitrogen is on the rise along with the price of oil - nitrates
                                        draining into waterways fuel the spread of coastal dead zones.

                                        Spring and summer nitrate flows out the mouth of the Mississippi
                                        River cause massive algae blooms that rob the water of oxygen and
                                        create dead zones in the Gulf of Mexico.

                                        The perennial web of roots holds onto more than nitrogen.

                                        The roots anchor the soil and reduce erosion. A study begun in 1888
                                        at the University of Missouri measured the depth of topsoil remaining
                                        after 100 years of continuous farming.

                                        Topsoil under plots of perennial timothy grass (a crop cut for hay)
                                        was more than two times deeper than the topsoil remaining under
                                        annual corn, and almost 1 1/2 times deeper than the topsoil remaining
                                        under a six-year rotation of corn, oats, wheat, clover and timothy
                                        grass.

                                        With the world's population growing, agriculture must anchor all the
                                        soil it can as ever more marginal land is pushed into production.

                                        "We get away with a lot here in North America because our soils are
                                        so rich, fertile and deep. The thinner or more poor your soils are,
                                        the more you need perennials there to safeguard them," says Glover.

                                        Conversion to perennials cannot happen overnight.

                                        The Land Institute began its perennial breeding programs in 2000.
                                        Today it has four breeders and total funding of approximately $2
                                        million.

                                        Glover estimates that the institute is probably at least 25 years out
                                        from having a high-yielding perennial substitute for a major grain.
                                        The world may come asking for seed sooner.

                                        "How far out we are from having a product partly depends on
                                        expectations," says Glover. "Our wheatgrass, for example, right now
                                        out-yields some of the world's minor annual crops, such as Ethiopian
                                        teff, in a good year. Also, for some of the non-food-crop oilseeds,
                                        you don't have all the taste and handling requirements that you have
                                        for wheat. You want a very consistent bread, but for oil you're more
                                        flexible. And how far we are from a commercially viable crop will
                                        partly depend upon world resources."

                                        This article appeared on page F - 9 of the San Francisco Chronicle

                                      • pattyloof
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
                                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, yarrow@... wrote:

                                          > For info on growing grasses, look into the Land Institute in Kansas,
                                          > which is mentioned in this article on perennial wheat:

                                          http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/24/HOFKT0670.DTL

                                          I looked around and discovered that this is Thinopyrum intermedium, or
                                          intermediate wheatgrass, a perennial hardy to -38F !

                                          I'm having trouble finding a seed source though. Anyone know where you
                                          can get this?

                                          Patty
                                          Oklahoma, USA
                                        • Robert Monie
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007
                                            Hi Patty,

                                            You can get two varieties of Thinopyrum intermedium from Stock Seed Farms in
                                            Murdock, Nebraska. Call them at 1-800-759-1520. Both are perennial and both make good sod.

                                            Bob Monie
                                            New Orleans, La
                                            Zone 8

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 4, 2007