RE : Re: [fukuoka_farming] Fukuoka rice: far north? seeds from where? no flooding?

  • Barbié olivier
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hi

      Stop rotations
      Stop irrigation
      Don't speak about N.

      Our farming is the roadback to nature.

      Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> a écrit :
      Peter,

      You have more questions than anybody can answer ;-)
      Some of my own: where about are you located and on what
      scale do you intend to work? What are soil and climate like?

      I live in a semi-arid climate and don't have enough water to grow
      rice during the summer. During the winter (Nov.-June), I can
      grow most small grains (rye, barley, wheat, oats, etc.) and
      winter-annual crops such as lupines, clover, faba beans,
      vetch, peas, alfa alfa, etc. The challenge here is to find an
      annual (or perennial) suitable to continue the crop rotation during
      the summer. Any interruption of the crop coverage will allow the
      weeds to grow back and you have to start from zero. I found
      that I can grow sunflowers, a corn for dry land (zorrinho) during
      the summer without irrigation, however these crops don't
      suppress the weeds very well.

      In the North, you probably have an interruption in the growing
      schedule during the winter, but that may be easier to handle,
      especially if weeds and grasses are also suppressed by snow
      or cold weather. I don't really know, but my guess is that in a
      cold climate the key to success would be to find a crop that will
      start growing before anything else early in the Spring (a crop with
      a very low germination temperature).

      Alternately, you may want to try a technique like the "winter
      wheat" method Marc Bonfils used in the North of France. You
      sow in August or September, the above-ground part is frost-killed
      during the winter while the roots in the ground go into hibernation.
      When temperatures rise the following spring, the roots start to
      grow again. Having the advantage of the grown root system,
      the wheat will exhibit strong growth. However, Bonfils used a
      wide spacing of 60 cm in order to obtain high yields. I imagine
      that it may to difficult to obtain sufficient weed-suppression in
      a no-till system with such a wide spacing. You could of course
      try clover or something in-between the wheat, but will it be winter-
      killed and grow again in the Spring?

      They grow rice in the Camargue region in the South of
      France. I know nothing about rice cultivation, but there are
      basically two methods: 1) direct broadcasting into a field
      2) transplant seedlings into a flooded paddy field.
      According to his books, Fukuoka used the first method to
      grow what he calls "mountain rice" or "Happy Hill Rice", the
      latter being a direct translation of his name (fuku: happy,
      oka: hill). I don't know if anybody has any of these seeds
      (me too, I like to have some!). Anyway, for a cold climate
      it's best to go with round-grain rice rather than long-grain rice
      which is grown in hot climates. I simply went to buy some
      organic rice at the local health food store to do some small-
      scale tests in the garden (to be repeated).

      There are tens of different types of clover. Fukuoka talks
      about a white clover called Ladino. I tried it, but it doesn't
      work very well here. I had more success with Huia, also a
      white clover, or with subterranean clover. Crimson is
      supposed to be best for fixing N. Some clovers are annual,
      some reseed and some, depending on climate, can be
      perennial. I tried violet clover, never again! In my climate
      it's practically perennial and worse than a weed.
      As I said, I have no experience with rice cultivation, but
      most grains have no trouble growing through white clover.
      Best to find a clover that reseeds itself in your climate
      because seeds are rather expensive (Ladino costs me more
      than 5 Euros the kilo). Harvesting clover seeds is rather
      troublesome because the seeds are so small.

      I don't believe there is any universally valid answer as to
      how many acacia trees you can plant per acre. Do you
      really want acacias? What for? Fixing N? Producing
      biomass? As landscaping trees? As sacrificial trees?
      In a dry climate acacias have the advantage that they
      grow rapidly even without irrigation. In a temperate
      climate you have plenty of other options, why not try
      fruit or nut trees to give you something to eat? If you
      feel your fields needs more N, you can always grow
      an N-fixing annual crop.

      I don't know which method Fukuoka used for threshing.
      At present, I still grow most grains as cover crops for soil
      building. For the small amounts I use for personal
      consumption I can easily use a flail or some other manual
      method. If ever I produce larger amounts of grain, I will
      cross this bridge when I come to it. But an Internet search
      should turn up a number of devices for small-scale threshing.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal

      Peter the <soil_n_health_fan@...> wrote:
      Hello:

      I am trying to set up a Fukuoka rice/wheat/clover rotation system, but I
      was worrying about growing rice in the north.

      How far north have people successfully grown rice? The site I am thinking
      about has a moderate continental climate, roughly the latitude of Southern
      France.

      Also, where does on get seeds? Fukuoka mentioned that he has some nice
      seeds that are suitable for his method. Does anybody use his seeds? What
      seeds do you use? What seeds are used in the "northern" regions?

      Does anybody practice Fukuoka grain rotations in Europe?

      How do we grow rice without flooding? Fukuoka says flooding is not
      necessary for growth, just to weaken the clover so that the rice shoots
      can outcompete. Can we do without floodind? How do we make sure that the
      rice gets through the clover?

      A question about clover. Do we need to reseed clover each year? Isn't
      clover a perennial? If we need to reseed, where do we get the seed from?
      For rice and wheat it is clear -- from the harvest. But for clover?

      A question about Acacia mearnsii. Somebody said 5-6 trees per quarter
      acre for the orchard. How about for the grain field?

      A question about threshing. How did Fukuoka thresh? How do you guys
      thresh? How do you cut the grain before that?

      A question about another rotations. Has anybody tried other summer crops
      instead of rice. Corn? Sunflower?

      Your help will be greatly appreciated,

      --Peter.

      Olivier Barbié

      http://perso.orange.fr/Olivier.Barbie/
      Tel. : 06 18 76 67 27

      Professeur agrégé
      IUT de Cachan, Paris XI
      Département GEii1
      9 Av de la division Leclerc
      94234 CACHAN

      Laboratoire PHARE
      Université de Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne
      Maison des Sciences Economiques
      106-112 bd de L'Hôpital
      75647 Paris Cedex 13

    • Jamie Nicol
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 4, 2007
        Dear Peter, coming across the work of Fukuoka can be very inspiring and
        creates the desire in us to live the way he so eloquently writes about,
        however, from my understanding, Fukuoka would think you just a little mad to
        be trying to grow rice and Black Wattle in your climate.

        Is the summer season warm enough, sunny enough or long enough to mature
        rice?
        How do you control the clover (or other volunteers in the field) if you
        don't have water to knock them back?
        Acacia Mearnsii will be killed at winter temperatures below minus 10
        celsius.

        Fukuoka Farming is not about copying Fukuoka but adopting his approach to
        our own particular context - to find out how to do nothing. Whenever we grow
        the wrong plant in the wrong place at the wrong time we end up working very,
        very hard.

        I would recommend the work of Marc Bonfils for a moderate continental type
        climate and his work can be found permanently located at
        http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/MarcBonfils-AgriculturalResearch/
        or
        by joining Mediterranean Natural Farming at Google Groups. His work is the
        first step in establishing a natural agriculture for a temperate climate.

        Good Luck

        Jamie
        Souscayrous

        On 11/2/07, Peter the <soil_n_health_fan@...> wrote:

        > Hello:
        >
        > I am trying to set up a Fukuoka rice/wheat/clover rotation system, but I
        > was worrying about growing rice in the north.
        >
        > How far north have people successfully grown rice? The site I am thinking
        > about has a moderate continental climate, roughly the latitude of Southern
        > France.
        >
        > Also, where does on get seeds? Fukuoka mentioned that he has some nice
        > seeds that are suitable for his method. Does anybody use his seeds? What
        > seeds do you use? What seeds are used in the "northern" regions?
        >
        > Does anybody practice Fukuoka grain rotations in Europe?
        >
        > How do we grow rice without flooding? Fukuoka says flooding is not
        > necessary for growth, just to weaken the clover so that the rice shoots
        > can outcompete. Can we do without floodind? How do we make sure that the
        > rice gets through the clover?
        >
        > A question about clover. Do we need to reseed clover each year? Isn't
        > clover a perennial? If we need to reseed, where do we get the seed from?
        > For rice and wheat it is clear -- from the harvest. But for clover?
        >
        > A question about Acacia mearnsii. Somebody said 5-6 trees per quarter
        > acre for the orchard. How about for the grain field?
        >
        > A question about threshing. How did Fukuoka thresh? How do you guys
        > thresh? How do you cut the grain before that?
        >
        > A question about another rotations. Has anybody tried other summer crops
        > instead of rice. Corn? Sunflower?
        >
        > Your help will be greatly appreciated,
        >
        > --Peter.

      • Dieter Brand
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
          Would you care to elaborate? Peter asked how to adopt
          Fukuoka's farming methods to a temperate climate and
          requested details about examples in which this has
          successfully been achieved.

        • Nandan Palaparambil
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
            There is a system called System of Rice
            Intensification (SRI) which is also called Madagaskar
            method. Please see the link

            http://www.ikisan.com/links/ap_ricesri.shtml.

            The basic principle used is not to flood the field
            since as per this theory flooding reduces the aeration
            and is harmful for the microbes. Flooding is mainly
            used to control the weeds but in NF this is achieved
            using mulching.

            Conclusion - SRI method can be taken as a proof that
            conventional flooding is not required in paddy fields.

            --- Peter the <soil_n_health_fan@...>

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Calin A. Radulescu
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
              rice will definitely ripen in a mediterranean kind of
              climate and even northern than that; actually it is
              grown commercially in northern california. the main
              limiting factor is humidity in the soil, and you'll
              have to provide that somehow.
              it is easier if the land location is close to a river,
              or marsh, etc. and the soil is mostly clay, otherwise
              you'll be fighting an uphill battle with evaporation.
              there are rice varieties that will grow better than
              others in a dry soil, also more natural methods of
              getting water to the soil other than flooding it,
              you'll just have to experiment with them.

              here are some links that will cover the basics of rice
              growing:

              http://www.amberwaves.org/mediaPages/growingRice/updates.html
              http://www.fao.org/SD/ERP/toolkit/Books/BFplants2/21wetpaddy_files/INDEX.HTM
              http://www.fao.org/SD/ERP/toolkit/Books/BFplants2/20uplandrice_files/INDEX.HTM
              http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/satoyama/hillside.html

              for what i know fukuoka used a pedal drum thresher, it
              won't be too hard to build one from recycled bicycle
              parts and a small, wooden spool used in construction.

              good luck!

              --- Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...>

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Peter the
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
                Dear Calin,

                Thank you for the information on rice, I am still studying it.

                On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Calin A. Radulescu wrote:

                | [...]
                |
                | for what i know fukuoka used a pedal drum thresher, it
                | won't be too hard to build one from recycled bicycle
                | parts and a small, wooden spool used in construction.

                This was useful! Anybody know how to build one, or where to get one?

                In a FAO manual [http://www.fao.org/docrep/T0522E/T0522E07.htm%5d I found
                the multipurpose BAMBA motorized thresher (Bourgoin-France), which seems
                quite useful.

                The Bourgoin page
                [http://www.bourgoin.fr/FR/bourgoin-materiels_neufs-8-13.html%5d did not
                turn up very much information beyond that. Anybody has info on /
                experience with those?

                Are these machines sold in Romania or the neighborhood?

                With any other thresher that does not require heavy machinery to go in the
                field?

                I know that in our region (the Danubian Delta in Eastern Europe) in the
                past people have used [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshing-board%5d.
                Seems like quite an inefficient process to me.

                At some point variants were introduced of the
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshing_machine -- these can be powered by
                animals, and the process seems quite much more efficient than the
                boards/sledges. It would not be too difficult and expensive to rent a
                couple of horses or oxen for a day or two thresh the output of a small
                farm. Anybody still selling those nowadays?

                --Peter.
              • Peter the
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Friends:

                  I did a brief search for Marc Bonfils, but most of the stuff I found was
                  in French. Have these things been translated? May be I need to try some
                  automatic web-based translation, but some of the stuff was image scans
                  from paper.

                  Dieter:

                  Thanks for the very useful comments below!

                  To recap. Open issues: which clover, which winter grain, which summer
                  crop (if any), how to beat the clover upon grain germination, which acacia
                  (if any), threshing, drought-resistance; Marc Bonfils in English.

                  On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Dieter Brand wrote:

                  | Peter,
                  |
                  | You have more questions than anybody can answer ;-)

                  Don't we all :-)

                  | Some of my own: where about are you located and on what
                  | scale do you intend to work? What are soil and climate like?

                  To be determined. I am making the plan right now.

                  The target area is close the Delta of the river Danube, in Easter Europe.
                  The latitude is roughly that of Toulouse in Southern France (43N-44N).
                  The other European regions in the same latitude are either on the sea, or
                  are mountainous, so I guess the Toulouse area would be the best
                  approximation of the climate.

                  Scale? TBD. Right now I have a commitment of around 8 hectares (20
                  acres), but if the method works, we will be looking into adding more.
                  Land is really inexpensive right now, but so are the rents. The reason is
                  the high inputs of industrial agriculture that is practiced right now.
                  Easily the cost of inputs per year is comparable to the cost of the land
                  itself right now.

                  Also, we will need to solve the threshing problem if we are to grow
                  substantially.

                  Soil? Probably fantastic. To the extent it can still be, after being
                  ruined from half a century of industrial agriculture, that is. But
                  nowhere near as ruined as in the US, and probably mostly elsewhere in
                  Europe.

                  | I live in a semi-arid climate and don't have enough water to grow
                  | rice during the summer.

                  Rice has never been commercially grown in our region, mainly because the
                  summer is relatively dry (but probably not "arid"). I am still studying
                  rice more closes, as per the links another kind soul provided. I saw the
                  minimum requirements being 800 mm rainfall, and for wheat 560, which is
                  not quite different. Wheat is definitely grown successfully there.

                  | During the winter (Nov.-June), I can
                  | grow most small grains (rye, barley, wheat, oats, etc.) and
                  | winter-annual crops such as lupines, clover, faba beans,
                  | vetch, peas, alfa alfa, etc. The challenge here is to find an
                  | annual (or perennial) suitable to continue the crop rotation during
                  | the summer. Any interruption of the crop coverage will allow the
                  | weeds to grow back and you have to start from zero. I found
                  | that I can grow sunflowers, a corn for dry land (zorrinho) during
                  | the summer without irrigation, however these crops don't
                  | suppress the weeds very well.

                  Sunflowers and corn definitely grow in our region. What would happen if
                  they grow through a stand of clover? A constant stand of self-sowing
                  clover is also what Marc Bonfils uses.

                  | In the North, you probably have an interruption in the growing
                  | schedule during the winter, but that may be easier to handle,

                  We do have an interruption, but winter wheat definitely works in our
                  region. Alfalfa/lucerne is grown also, and it is perennial under our
                  conditions. Is my hope unreasonable that we sow some kind of clover and
                  it will maintain itself forever under and over the grain crops?

                  | As I said, I have no experience with rice cultivation, but
                  | most grains have no trouble growing through white clover.

                  What makes wheat seeds outcompete an established stand of clover? Fukuoka
                  uses flooding to tip the scales towards the rice. Flooding will probably
                  be impractical for us. My theory is that may be the fertility provided to
                  the grain seed in the seed balls is enough to let the grain shoot above
                  the clover. Is that true?

                  I have no experience with clover, but lucerne can grow quite high. Does
                  one mow the stand at some judiciously chosen point? How does one decide
                  when?

                  | Best to find a clover that reseeds itself in your climate
                  | because seeds are rather expensive (Ladino costs me more
                  | than 5 Euros the kilo). Harvesting clover seeds is rather
                  | troublesome because the seeds are so small.

                  Where does one find what kind of clover seeds are sold in Europe? Are
                  there mail-order catalogs?

                  | Alternately, you may want to try a technique like the "winter
                  | wheat" method Marc Bonfils used in the North of France. You
                  | sow in August or September, the above-ground part is frost-killed
                  | during the winter while the roots in the ground go into hibernation.
                  | When temperatures rise the following spring, the roots start to
                  | grow again. Having the advantage of the grown root system,
                  | the wheat will exhibit strong growth. However, Bonfils used a
                  | wide spacing of 60 cm in order to obtain high yields. I imagine
                  | that it may to difficult to obtain sufficient weed-suppression in
                  | a no-till system with such a wide spacing. You could of course
                  | try clover or something in-between the wheat, but will it be winter-
                  | killed and grow again in the Spring?

                  I know for lucerne -- it is a perennial there.

                  Another question. Marc Bonfils grows only one harvest per year -- winter
                  grains. Granted, he does get impressive yields, I've red 15 MT/ha. The
                  standard for our region under industrial agriculture is may be 5 MT/ha tops.

                  On the other hand, may be our growing season is slightly longer than that
                  of Northern France. May be growing only one crop will be inefficient?
                  Also, with global warming the growing season will be longer; may be we
                  need a two-crop system?

                  Also, it seems that global warming will bring more extreme weather -- more
                  annual rainfall, but concentrated in floods and droughts. I guess some
                  diversification will be paramount to guard from crop failures. Dunno
                  whether just wheat will cut it.

                  | They grow rice in the Camargue region in the South of France.

                  Camargue is roughly our latitude, although its climate is probably
                  milder, due to the close sea shore. I'll have to look more into rice.
                  Will report back.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
                    Peter,

                    Soil in the Danube delta is bound to be a lot better than mine.
                    Climate isn't only determined by latitude. Continental versus
                    maritime has a lot to do with it. For 8 or more hectares you
                    will need some machines. Look for examples of "organic no-till"
                    in the US. The NewFarm website of the Rodale Institute has
                    a lot of good information. There is a guy called Steve Groff
                    whose site you may want to look at. There is a cover crop
                    database at:
                    http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/cgi-bin/ccrop.EXE
                    which has a lot of detailed information. For seeds, its best
                    to find a local source. Anyway, always best to look at what
                    the local farmers use. It is hard to get clover established
                    here. In the field, I mainly use lupines, field peas etc. From
                    what I have seen in the garden though, many things will
                    just grow through clover. You have to study the different
                    types of clover. In the garden I sow clover in fall, then cut
                    in spring for transplanting the summer vegetables, or for
                    sowing and covering with a bit of compost and mulch.
                    That is all I need to do for fertility.
                    Wouldn't count on global warming for that extra growing
                    time, things will most likely turn out different from what
                    we expect. What do you want to do with 8 hectares of
                    rice? Too much to eat and not enough to commercialize
                    if there are no other growers in the region. Why don't
                    you look at growing organic market vegetables and fruits
                    for the expanding organic market in central Europe?
                    Sorry, my writing isn't very structured at this time of
                    the night and I have a lot to do at present. Do let us
                    know how your plans are coming along.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Peter,
                      information on how to build a small threshing device
                      is very scarce for some reason. i am going to scan the
                      pictures that i got and i will post them in the files
                      section of the group. i am from romania initially but
                      have been living in usa for quite some time. there has
                      been rice grown commercially in romania in the 70's,
                      mostly in the south but also in the danube delta; i
                      read that now there are some italian companies doing
                      that. i think the potential of this crop is huge over
                      there, even more so if grown naturally.

                      good luck with your plan, i loved it!

                      --- Peter the <soil_n_health_fan@...>
                      wrote:

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Calin A. Radulescu
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 5, 2007
                        Peter,
                        Look at the file section for a file called Thresher,
                        you may use some of that information.
                        Not taking into account the Global Warming, Eastern
                        Romania is in USDA zone 7, maybe 7b, so you won't be
                        able to grow Fukuoka's favorite Acacia Molissima there
                        because of the cold continental winter. There may be
                        some true acacias that will grow in zone 7 though, if
                        not the black wattle (Robinia Pseudoacacia) could be a
                        fair choice, and it already grows well in the area.
                        Talking about winter, another issue that you'll notice
                        over there is the pretty steady winter breeze that
                        could be used for pumping water or alternative energy.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Niels Corfield
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 6, 2007
                          I think black wattle is an acacia.
                          Robinia pseudoacacia is the black locust tree.
                          Anyone any thoughts?

                          My Bookmarks:
                          http://del.icio.us/entrailer

                          My Pics and Projects:
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/nielscorfield/
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/mudguard

                          Groups I Contribute to:

                          Calin A. Radulescu wrote:

                          > Peter,
                          > Look at the file section for a file called Thresher,
                          > you may use some of that information.
                          > Not taking into account the Global Warming, Eastern
                          > Romania is in USDA zone 7, maybe 7b, so you won't be
                          > able to grow Fukuoka's favorite Acacia Molissima there
                          > because of the cold continental winter. There may be
                          > some true acacias that will grow in zone 7 though, if
                          > not the black wattle (Robinia Pseudoacacia) could be a
                          > fair choice, and it already grows well in the area.
                          > Talking about winter, another issue that you'll notice
                          > over there is the pretty steady winter breeze that
                          > could be used for pumping water or alternative energy.

                        • onestrawresolution
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 6, 2007
                            Dear Peter, I forgot to mention the files section of this group for
                            more information on the Bonfils Winter Wheat Method - see Marc
                            Bonfils Agricultural research.

                            Be careful about diminishing the productivity of one wheat harvest a
                            year - it was the move to a wheat/beet succession in Northern France,
                            which rapidly depletes and damages the soil that led Bonfils to
                            change the way of growing.

                            We need to find a way to grow our crops while annually improving the
                            fertility of our soil. A temperate natural agriculture can do this
                            and match the productivity of commercial agriculture.

                            The use of black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) can help, but it can
                            be invasive in soils with good moisture levels - perhaps there is a
                            local nitrogen fixing alternative alder perhaps (Alnus spp)?

                            Jamie
                            Souscayrous

                            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Peter the
                            <soil_n_health_fan@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            - more
                            > annual rainfall, but concentrated in floods and droughts. I guess
                            some
                            > diversification will be paramount to guard from crop failures.
                            Dunno
                            > whether just wheat will cut it.
                            >

                            > | They grow rice in the Camargue region in the South of France.
                            >
                            > Camargue is roughly our latitude, although its climate is probably
                            > milder, due to the close sea shore. I'll have to look more into
                            rice.
                            > Will report back.
                            >

                            > To recap. Open issues: which clover, which winter grain, which
                            summer
                            > crop (if any), how to beat the clover upon grain germination, which
                            acacia
                            > (if any), threshing, drought-resistance; Marc Bonfils in English.

                          • Peter the
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 6, 2007
                              On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Calin A. Radulescu wrote:

                              | Peter,
                              | Look at the file section for a file called Thresher,
                              | you may use some of that information.

                              Thanks Calin -- I got it!

                              Most of the pages seem to be from

                              http://www.amazon.com/Small-Scale-Grain-Raising-Gene-Logsdon/dp/0878571345

                              Amazon has hard copies for $50-$80 !!!

                              Since the book is out of print, it is available for free (well scanned)

                              http://www.soilandhealth.org/copyform.aspx?bookcode=030210

                              from Steve Solomon's Homesteading Library Catalogue

                              http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302hsted/0302homested.html

                              Which book is the first page in Thresher.zip coming from?

                              --Peter.
                            • Peter the
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 6, 2007
                                On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Calin A. Radulescu wrote:

                                | Peter,

                                | Not taking into account the Global Warming, Eastern
                                | Romania is in USDA zone 7, maybe 7b,

                                Looking at http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze7.html I see we are
                                probably zone 6 -- we are not exactly in the delta, but a bit west. May
                                be 6b.

                                I said we are the same latitude with Toulouse, but it seems Toulouse is
                                zone 8 -- two zones milder. There is a zone 7 area somewhere between
                                Toulouse and Lyons. Northern France seems to be zone 8. That is, or
                                climate will have more sun during the year, but with a colder winter. I
                                would probably say also a drier summer -- we are far away from oceans.

                                In the US 6b would be like the warmer parts of Tennessee and Missouri.

                                The above data for the US is for the 1990 zones. There are global-warming
                                related changes http://www.arborday.org/media/map_change.cfm -- half of
                                the US is a zone up. I'd say 1/2 zone almost everywhere.

                                If the Europe info above is old, you might be right that nowadays Eastern
                                Romania is in USDA zone 7, maybe 7b. Which would be about right for us
                                too -- may be 7a.

                                | so you won't be able to grow Fukuoka's favorite Acacia Molissima there
                                | because of the cold continental winter. There may be some true acacias
                                | that will grow in zone 7 though, if not the black wattle (Robinia
                                | Pseudoacacia) could be a fair choice, and it already grows well in the
                                | area.

                                I'll look into the Robinia Pseudoacacia (salcam). It grows natively in
                                our area, so that might be it.

                                --Peter.
                              • Shawn Turner
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 6, 2007
                                  WEEDS, WEEDS, WEEDS,
                                  onestrawresolution <souscayrous@...> wrote: Dear Peter, I forgot to mention the files section of this group for

                                  <soil_n_health_fan@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  - more
                                  > annual rainfall, but concentrated in floods and droughts. I guess
                                  some
                                  > diversification will be paramount to guard from crop failures.
                                  Dunno
                                  > whether just wheat will cut it.
                                  >

                                  > | They grow rice in the Camargue region in the South of France.
                                  >
                                  > Camargue is roughly our latitude, although its climate is probably
                                  > milder, due to the close sea shore. I'll have to look more into
                                  rice.
                                  > Will report back.
                                  >

                                  > To recap. Open issues: which clover, which winter grain, which
                                  summer
                                  > crop (if any), how to beat the clover upon grain germination, which
                                  acacia
                                  > (if any), threshing, drought-resistance; Marc Bonfils in English.

                                • Calin A. Radulescu
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 6, 2007
                                    we have talked about this topic quite a few times
                                    here, and it seems that there is more than one right
                                    way of doing it. so flooding, mowing it low, maybe
                                    grazing it with some small animal, all seem to
                                    accomplish pretty much the same thing - weakening the
                                    clover without killing it. then you would add the
                                    straw, spreading it over the field loosely,(the straw
                                    must be from winter grain for rice, and from rice for
                                    the winter grain to minimize spreading of disease)then
                                    you would spread the seed balls. they should make good
                                    contact with the earth in order to germinate, that's
                                    important.

                                    --- Peter the <soil_n_health_fan@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • Peter the
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 6, 2007
                                      On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Calin A. Radulescu wrote:

                                      | we have talked about this topic quite a few times here, and it seems
                                      | that there is more than one right way of doing it. so flooding, mowing
                                      | it low, maybe grazing it with some small animal, all seem to accomplish
                                      | pretty much the same thing - weakening the clover without killing it.
                                      | then you would add the straw, spreading it over the field loosely, [and
                                      | then you add the seed balls]

                                      Thanks Calin,

                                      Fukuoka adds the seed balls way before the old harvest is cut. It only
                                      makes sense -- the balls need time to settle to make contact with the
                                      soil. Fukuoka puts straw on top of the seed balls. Also makes sense --
                                      the straw protects the seeds, and also all straw decomposition takes place
                                      above the roots.

                                      From http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302hsted/030202/03010200.html ,
                                      It is important for the roots to grow in soil that does _not_ deal with
                                      decomposition. Decomposition builds humus, however humus needs to be
                                      degraded for the nutrients to be released to the plants; the soil cannot
                                      do both at the same time. Decomposition and root extension have to be in
                                      two different layers of the soil. That's why gardeners make compost away
                                      from the beds.

                                      Also, I don't understand one aspect of mowing or grazing the clover.
                                      Fukuoka floods when the rice shoots are already in place, and cuts the
                                      rice straw when the barley shoots are growing. He talks about trampling
                                      of the shoots, which is OK. When cutting rice, he can cut above the top
                                      of the shoots.

                                      When we have a clover stand, we usually mow it low. That would damage any
                                      shooting grain that might be there. Ditto for grazing.

                                      Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> said that grain can just grow through
                                      clover, without any other intervention.

                                      My theory (untested) is that may be the fertility provided to the grain
                                      seed in the seed balls is enough to let the grain shoot above the clover.

                                      Imagine we decide to mow the clover for hay. The weather has to be dry
                                      after that so that the hay is dried in the filed. On the other hand, if
                                      mowing is to be used to facilitating grain shooting through the clover,
                                      there has to be rain to sprout the grain. Tricky. Anybody done it?

                                      May be we should not mow/graze at all? But this lays to "waste" a
                                      high-protein resource. Can the wheat utilize all the nitrogen fixed by
                                      the clover?

                                      | (the straw must be from winter grain for rice, and from rice for the
                                      | winter grain to minimize spreading of disease)then you would spread the
                                      | seed balls.

                                      Well, if we try to practice Bonfils, then we have only one crop -- winter
                                      wheat. How does he solve the propagation-of-disease issue?

                                      --Peter.
                                    • Dieter Brand
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 6, 2007
                                        Peter,

                                        There is no way around it, you have to learn how each different
                                        cover crop you intend to use will perform under the local
                                        conditions of the place you will use it. The data base I
                                        mentioned provides a lot of info, but there will invariably also
                                        be a lot of trial and error when you start to put the theory
                                        into praxis. That is why "organic no-till" is much more "place
                                        specific" than conventional farming. Most no-till farmers use
                                        herbicides to kill their cover crop, which is a lot simpler.
                                        A herbicide will kill the cover crop no matter where or when
                                        you apply it. You don't even need to know much about the
                                        live cycle of your cover crop.

                                        The idea with organic no-till is that you know exactly when
                                        you can mechanically kill which cover crop for transplanting
                                        or sowing your cash crop into. For example, if I sow lupines
                                        in the fall, I know that I can cut them next March or April
                                        for growing my summer vegetables. If on the other hand I
                                        sow rye as cover crop, I probably have to wait until May for
                                        cutting, and then select a crop that can be planted or sown
                                        in May. If I cut the rye earlier, it will grow again, if I cut it
                                        later it will form seeds and reseed itself to interfere with my
                                        cash crop. If I want to grow wheat together with clover,
                                        I have to select a clover that won't interfere with the wheat ...

                                        You quote from Steve Solomon's "Organic Gardener's Composting"
                                        >It is important for the roots to grow in soil that does _not_ deal with
                                        >decomposition. Decomposition builds humus, however humus needs to be
                                        >degraded for the nutrients to be released to the plants; _the soil cannot
                                        >do both at the same time_. Decomposition and root extension have to be in
                                        >two different layers of the soil. That's why gardeners make compost away
                                        >from the beds.

                                        The soil DOES do both at the same time, and has done so for
                                        millions of years, but in different soil layers.

                                        In his classic on "bio-organic" farming (Bodenfruchtbarkeit),
                                        P.H. Rusch describes the "soil anatomy" as follows: "the ground
                                        cover of organic residues such as dead leaves, straw, etc., is
                                        decomposed by fungi, microbes and numerous small creatures in
                                        the aerobic uppermost one or two inches of soil in the so-called
                                        "cell tilth" (a phase dominated by the cells of microbes). The
                                        "decomposition phase" is followed by a "build-up" phase in which
                                        the decomposition products (the various constituents of the cell
                                        plasma) of the first phase form the "plasma tilth" in which strong
                                        colloidal bonds of humus-clay complexes, that can last up to a 1000
                                        years, form a stable humus mostly under anaerobic conditions at a
                                        depth of about 2 to 8 inches." In an undisturbed soil, these two
                                        phases will continuously go on in parallel, the one supplying the
                                        other, but roots will form mainly in the lower layer represented by
                                        the 2nd phase." Rusch considers soil disturbance such as the
                                        ploughing under of green manure to be a "sin against live".

                                        Sorry, don't have time to answer your questions in more detail.
                                        >My theory (untested) is that may be the fertility provided to the grain
                                        >seed in the seed balls is enough to let the grain shoot above the clover.

                                        No, nothing to do with the seedballs, all to do with the right timing
                                        and the right choice of crop and clover.

                                        >Imagine we decide to mow the clover for hay.
                                        You don't use clover for making hay. If you have to cut it, you let
                                        it decompose in the field.

                                        >Can the wheat utilize all the nitrogen fixed by the clover?
                                        The N in the greens can be used by other plants after cutting and
                                        decomposition. The N fixed by the soil bacteria is made available
                                        after the clover is killed. (But Olivier is right, there is much more to
                                        soil biology than N).

                                        From http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302hsted/030202/03010200.html ,

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 7, 2007
                                          Pete,
                                          Growing domesticated food grain in a few inches thick,
                                          tangled mat of clovers, weeds and whatever may be in
                                          there has a lot to do with the timing, or better say
                                          delaying the vigor in clover, tipping the balance a
                                          little bit in favor of the food crop. When done right,
                                          the rice or winter grain has had a chance to get a
                                          root
                                          system in place and access to light, whereas the
                                          clover
                                          and the weeds are quite stressed but recovering. After
                                          that, the nature will basically take care of them.
                                          I think that you should just experiment with some
                                          grain seed on a small parcel , either now or at the
                                          end of the winter and see what you get.

                                          --- Peter the <soil_n_health_fan@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > It is important for the roots to grow in soil that
                                          > does _not_ deal with
                                          > decomposition. Decomposition builds humus, however
                                          > humus needs to be
                                          > degraded for the nutrients to be released to the
                                          > plants; the soil cannot
                                          > do both at the same time. Decomposition and root
                                          > extension have to be in
                                          > two different layers of the soil. That's why
                                          > gardeners make compost away
                                          > from the beds.

                                          Gardeners are usually rational beings, whereas NF just
                                          happens. Fukuoka said and some people here in the
                                          forum hinted at the fact that one should leave aside
                                          worries such those about nutrients, and that's right
                                          to the point, although it may seem discouraging for
                                          someone new to NF or to the eastern way of thinking

                                          > Also, I don't understand one aspect of mowing or
                                          > grazing the clover.
                                          > Fukuoka floods when the rice shoots are already in
                                          > place, and cuts the
                                          > rice straw when the barley shoots are growing. He
                                          > talks about trampling
                                          > of the shoots, which is OK. When cutting rice, he
                                          > can cut above the top
                                          > of the shoots.
                                          > When we have a clover stand, we usually mow it low.
                                          > That would damage any
                                          > shooting grain that might be there. Ditto for
                                          > grazing.

                                          it makes sense, rice will tolerate anaerobic
                                          conditions whereas clover won't. both would recover
                                          after mowing and neither of them would mind the
                                          occasional trampling.

                                          > Dieter Brand <diebrand@...> said that grain
                                          > can just grow through
                                          > clover, without any other intervention.

                                          that's right how it is. if someone were looking at it,
                                          he or she would see just taller grain growing in a
                                          ground cover of clover. human intervention is minimal
                                          very gentle, and difficult to tell apart from the
                                          natural order.

                                          > My theory (untested) is that may be the fertility
                                          > provided to the grain
                                          > seed in the seed balls is enough to let the grain
                                          > shoot above the clover.

                                          Not enough by itself. If the clover isn't week enough,
                                          and the environmental conditions aren't right for that

                                          particular grain to take over, the results could be
                                          pretty disappointing.

                                          > Imagine we decide to mow the clover for hay. The
                                          > weather has to be dry
                                          > after that so that the hay is dried in the filed.
                                          > On the other hand, if
                                          > mowing is to be used to facilitating grain shooting
                                          > through the clover,
                                          > there has to be rain to sprout the grain. Tricky.

                                          It looks tricky but actually is one of those
                                          activities
                                          that are quite simple to do but harder to explain with
                                          words how is done. The more inclined to observing the
                                          nature with an open mind one is, the easier it will
                                          get.

                                          > Anybody done it?

                                          You bet, by many people in many different conditions
                                          around the world. If an old man like Fukuoka could do
                                          it, anybody can. Personally i just experimented a few
                                          times in the backyard; many of those times it went all
                                          wrong before i could see any grain at all.

                                          > May be we should not mow/graze at all? But this
                                          > lays to "waste" a
                                          > high-protein resource. Can the wheat utilize all
                                          > the nitrogen fixed by
                                          > the clover?

                                          nutrients should get recycled in place as mulch or
                                          animal poop if the fertility of the soil is supposed
                                          to increase. otherwise it is not natural farming, and
                                          it may required managerial or some other kind of
                                          decision making to make it work.

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • Ingrid Bauer
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 21, 2007
                                            The use of black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) can help, but it can
                                            be invasive in soils with good moisture levels - perhaps there is a
                                            local nitrogen fixing alternative alder perhaps (Alnus spp)?

                                            here what i am have to say about alders who grow spontanouslly after clear cutting of old growth forest in our aera ( coastal fir forest British colombia Canada) they are pionner trees regenerating the soil before coniferous can come back .

                                            I have been interplanting fruit and nut trees, berry bushes , vines and other plants ( mashua, kale jerusalem artichoke etc ...) in a young red alder forest for 8 years now .
                                            i have over the years killed some of the alders ( when they reach over 20 cm diameter especially) by girdling them and inseminating them with shitake mushroom , i let them standing for the woodpeckers to deal with.

                                            the soil is wonderfull under alders, they produce abondant mulch layer everyfall . they grow tall and spindly serving the role of intermediate canopy ( they are dwarfted by very tall ancient and sparse fir who dominate the upper story) the wood on the ground rot very quickly .

                                            draw back: their shade is important more than leguminous trees. they fall and break easelly in the winter storms damaging young planted trees .

                                            they can be coppiced for a while if you leave enough branches , they will eventually succomb to rot . once dead, pileated woodpecker and downy woodpeckers can digg a nest in the biggest, that will be eventually ,the following years, used by other species like screech owls or wood ducks.
                                            jean-claude

                                          • karoubas
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 25, 2007
                                              Hello Robin, Dieter, jean-claude and all,

                                              Thank you for your replies - it will take me sometime for me to read,-
                                              re read and really absorb what you are telling me/us - then I will
                                              figure out how I will incorporate this in my farm - again thank you
                                              for sharing your experiences.

                                              Its important from time to time to state the goals of natural farming.

                                              1. To be able to reforest large areas with minimum of labor, time and
                                              cost ( and minimum thinking)

                                              2. To be be able to regenerate the soil in a farm and hope it produces
                                              plenty of fruits and vegetables - again with all the above minimums

                                              I think that digging trenches and chasing after acacias in the farm
                                              may interfere with the above "minimum" requirements.

                                              I think that Fukuoka - San changed and evolved from the time he wrote
                                              the "One straw Revolution" to his last book "The Road Back to Nature"
                                              - we should be referring to his last book more often.

                                              These wonderful trees that Raju mentions - sababul acacia and the
                                              other nitrogen fixing trees on the invasive species list, may be the
                                              best hope we have to revegetate barren lands and deserts. I find it
                                              ironic that the trees that society/science has labeled as undesirables
                                              - will propably end up saving this much abused planet.

                                              Today I visited some of my wife's relatives about an hour away -they
                                              are an elderly couple in their 80's. The land around them is a flat
                                              plain without any large trees around - its plowed and bare. They told
                                              me that when their parents came into the area - the whole area was
                                              covered with large oak trees - over the years they removed all the oak
                                              trees and have been plowing the land ever since. The have used the
                                              chemical agriculture techniques to farm the land the results and
                                              familiar to us - nothing will grow on this once fertile land without
                                              fertilizers and pesticides. Their local water supply has been
                                              contaminated and they can longer drink the water from their area ( I
                                              do not know the exact cause of the contamination).

                                              For the reforestation project I used about 10 different types of tree
                                              seeds, which I collected from the trees around the city - most of them
                                              I think are different types of acacias - but in truth I do not know
                                              their names - I also added clover vetch wheat rocket and other
                                              vegetable seeds - in all there probably were about 30 types of seeds.
                                              As I said I am pleased with the results - I am waiting to see how
                                              the small trees will survive the winter frost and then how they will
                                              survive the August summer heat (I will add photos on the website soon).

                                              No matter what, I plan to make at least another 10,000 seed
                                              balls/disks this summer - we really have no other choice (other than
                                              seed balls) - if we want to revegetate large areas - planting large
                                              number of trees and watering them by hand is costly and time
                                              prohibitive - beside the failure rate is very large.

                                              Thank You
                                              Kostas

                                              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Ingrid Bauer" <instinct@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > The use of black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) can help, but it can
                                              > be invasive in soils with good moisture levels - perhaps there is a
                                              > local nitrogen fixing alternative alder perhaps (Alnus spp)?
                                              >
                                              > here what i am have to say about alders who grow spontanouslly
                                              after clear cutting of old growth forest in our aera ( coastal fir
                                              forest British colombia Canada) they are pionner trees regenerating
                                              the soil before coniferous can come back .

                                              > I have been interplanting fruit and nut trees, berry bushes ,
                                              vines and other plants ( mashua, kale jerusalem artichoke etc ...) in
                                              a young red alder forest for 8 years now .
                                              > i have over the years killed some of the alders ( when they reach
                                              over 20 cm diameter especially) by girdling them and inseminating them
                                              with shitake mushroom , i let them standing for the woodpeckers to
                                              deal with.

                                              > the soil is wonderfull under alders, they produce abondant mulch
                                              layer everyfall . they grow tall and spindly serving the role of
                                              intermediate canopy ( they are dwarfted by very tall ancient and
                                              sparse fir who dominate the upper story) the wood on the ground rot
                                              very quickly .

                                              > draw back: their shade is important more than leguminous trees.
                                              they fall and break easelly in the winter storms damaging young
                                              planted trees .

                                              > they can be coppiced for a while if you leave enough branches ,
                                              they will eventually succomb to rot . once dead, pileated woodpecker
                                              and downy woodpeckers can digg a nest in the biggest, that will be
                                              eventually ,the following years, used by other species like screech
                                              owls or wood ducks.
                                              > jean-claude

                                            • karoubas
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 25, 2007
                                                Hello everyone
                                                I just updated the site http://www.naturalfarming.us/
                                                with photos from the 2007 seeding project

                                                Kostas

                                                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "karoubas" <karoubas@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                > with shitake mushroom , i let them standing for the woodpeckers to
                                                > deal with.
                                                > >
                                                > > the soil is wonderfull under alders, they produce abondant mulch
                                                > layer everyfall . they grow tall and spindly serving the role of
                                                > intermediate canopy ( they are dwarfted by very tall ancient and
                                                > sparse fir who dominate the upper story) the wood on the ground rot
                                                > very quickly .
                                                > >
                                                > > draw back: their shade is important more than leguminous trees.
                                                > they fall and break easelly in the winter storms damaging young
                                                > planted trees .
                                                > >
                                                > > they can be coppiced for a while if you leave enough branches ,
                                                > they will eventually succomb to rot . once dead, pileated woodpecker
                                                > and downy woodpeckers can digg a nest in the biggest, that will be
                                                > eventually ,the following years, used by other species like screech

                                              • pattyloof
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 26, 2007
                                                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "karoubas" <karoubas@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hello everyone
                                                  > I just updated the site http://www.naturalfarming.us/
                                                  > with photos from the 2007 seeding project
                                                  >
                                                  > Kostas

                                                  Great pictures! What kind of trees are those?

                                                  Patty
                                                • karoubas
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 26, 2007
                                                    Hello Patty,
                                                    As I mentioned in the previous message I really don't know their names
                                                    - some acacias. I collected seeds from the trees around the streets of
                                                    Thessaloniki.

                                                    Kostas

                                                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "pattyloof" <pattyloof@...> wrote:

                                                    > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "karoubas" <karoubas@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Hello everyone
                                                    > > I just updated the site http://www.naturalfarming.us/
                                                    > > with photos from the 2007 seeding project
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Kostas
                                                    >

                                                    > Great pictures! What kind of trees are those?
                                                    >
                                                    > Patty

                                                  • Peter the
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 27, 2007
                                                      Thanks again, Jamie!

                                                      Does anybody know where to get seeds for the Bonfils Winter Wheat Method?
                                                      I am assuming that these are non-hybrid, and the grain can be reused as
                                                      seed the next year.

                                                      What cultivars are there? Any discussion of their relative merits?

                                                      Also, are there different cultivars of white clover that grow in Europe?

                                                      --Peter.