Re: [fukuoka_farming] Transforming an old field

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
      Samten,

      If you don't want to plough, a mixture of rye and vetch
      is a good choice for sowing into an existing stand of
      grass and/or weeds. Wheat and barley can't compete
      with grass. You could also try lupines or daikon.
      However, whatever you do it will probably take you
      more than one season to crowd out the grass and
      the weeds. Since you are in Canada, buckwheat
      may also be a good choice. It grows very quickly,
      3 months until seeds start to form. The rye you can
      cut as much as you like, it will always grow back
      until the grains start to form. Except for clover,
      legumes (lupines, field peas, vetch, etc.) usually
      don't grow back after cutting. Legumes are usually
      cut during flowering, when the amount of N his
      highest. Check with the local farmers for the cash
      or cover crop best suited to your region. They will
      also provide you with the dates for sowing. But
      don't tell them that you are going to sow without
      ploughing or they will take you for some silly city
      jerk bent on wasting good seeds.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal

      Samten Norbu <earth2rodger@...> wrote: Hi all revolutionaries:)

      I have a friend with fields that have been untilled
      for over 25 years, only rarely cut for hay.

      I'd like to start growing some grain in her fields
      using natural farming methods. It's my understanding
      that fields like this are the healthiest as the
      grassland ecosystem is completely intact.

      I wonder if you could help me choose a grain to grow
      (I'd love to grow rye, barley, spelt...)
      ...and help me discover how to nudge the field towards
      growing my crop for me... Fukuoka-style. I've read
      all his books, but I'm no farmer or gardner (yet).
      This would be my first active foray into natural
      farming. ! :)

      The soil is heavy with clay but not unworkable. The
      fields grow very well on their own, growing high and
      dense so it's a fertile situation. I live near the
      Canadian US border (near Ottawa Ontario Canada).

      Any discussion or information is much appreciated.

      Alexander

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007
        -

        > I have a friend with fields that have been untilled
        > for over 25 years, only rarely cut for hay.
        >
        >Please have your friend check the status of endangered plants before
        committing to food production.

        If the ecosystem is in tact there are groups that may pay her to keep
        it natural.

        Other than that you would do well to include other 'woody' naitives
        into your natural gardening scheme.

        raspberries, hazelnuts, black walnuts, butter nuts, black cherries
        should all be hardy to your area. THis would serve as windbreaks and
        to provide a more natural diversity.

        Then plant the main crop in the alleys.

        Please let us know the germination sucess for this method into dense
        grass.

        Jeff
      • Samten Norbu
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2007