How many clayballs for 20 acres? seed quantity required: clayball vs tilling

  • Matthew Bond
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 2007
      G'day,

      I'm planning on doing some clayballs for some land near Lake Hindmarsh
      (near Nhill/Dimboola - the major centre in the area being Horsham in
      Victoria, Australia) and was wondering how much soil/clay/seed etc I
      would need for 20 acres. Also, what would be a good time to
      distribute the clayballs at this time of year (given it's spring in
      the southern hemisphere now). It may actually be more practical for
      me to make the clayballs first and transport them to the land later
      depending on the quantity.

      Also, are less seeds needed per acre using clayballs or is it the same
      as if you tilled?

      regards,

      Matthew.
    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2007
        Dear friend,

        I am a natural(fukuoka farming)farmer of India .Before I guide you want to
        know following:-

        1- Is mearslii acacia is possible in your land.? This is a native of
        Austrelia.

        2-What you want to grow in 20 acer.

        3-You want to do fukuoka Farming ?

        Thanks In nature

        RajuTitus

        On 10/24/07, Matthew Bond <m007j_1999@...> wrote:

        > G'day,
        >
        > I'm planning on doing some clayballs for some land near Lake Hindmarsh
        > (near Nhill/Dimboola - the major centre in the area being Horsham in
        > Victoria, Australia) and was wondering how much soil/clay/seed etc I
        > would need for 20 acres. Also, what would be a good time to
        > distribute the clayballs at this time of year (given it's spring in
        > the southern hemisphere now). It may actually be more practical for
        > me to make the clayballs first and transport them to the land later
        > depending on the quantity.
        >
        > Also, are less seeds needed per acre using clayballs or is it the same
        > as if you tilled?
        >
        > regards,
        >
        > Matthew.

      • macropneuma
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2007
          G'day, a preliminary response would be, as a Victorian, Oz, myself, I recommend from my
          experience that you sow seedballs in very early autumn / late summer (march), as the
          Mediterranean-climate of that area means substantial rain *only* in winter, summers are
          very dry & can be extremely hot (~45 C). I guess you know all this, but the importance is
          for seedballs to work well there are better times to sow according to conditions. Generally
          it would be in good enough time to settle into the soil microsites well before the local rainy
          season.
          Secondly, the number (and size of each) seed ball depends on the seeds' size and
          shape and ball making ingredients, methods & recipe. So perhaps if you can give a list of
          some of the major seed species you're using, then the group can advise you well. The
          Japanese, Indian & Greek members seems to be amongst the most expert in seed balls
          making, especially for large scale - I'm not expert experienced on that.
          I can advise on S.E. Australian plants and ecosystems, ecology, climate etc.
          J.
          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Bond" <m007j_1999@...> wrote:
          > G'day,
          >
          > I'm planning on doing some clayballs for some land near Lake Hindmarsh
          > (near Nhill/Dimboola - the major centre in the area being Horsham in
          > Victoria, Australia) and was wondering how much soil/clay/seed etc I
          > would need for 20 acres. Also, what would be a good time to
          > distribute the clayballs at this time of year (given it's spring in
          > the southern hemisphere now). It may actually be more practical for
          > me to make the clayballs first and transport them to the land later
          > depending on the quantity.
          >
          > Also, are less seeds needed per acre using clayballs or is it the same
          > as if you tilled?
          >
          > regards,
          >
          > Matthew.
        • mj
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
            Hi Raju,

            I'll have to get back to you on the Black Wattle
            question: I'm not sure but I don't see why it wouldn't
            be possible. If it's an Australian native then it
            should be able to grow pretty much anywhere in
            Australia, right?

            I would like to grow a huge variety of things,
            including grains, veggies and maybe even fruit.

            I don't really understand the 3rd question. Can you
            elaborate?

            thanks for your help!

            Matthew.
            --- Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

            > Dear friend,
            >
            > I am a natural(fukuoka farming)farmer of India
            > .Before I guide you want to
            > know following:-
            >
            > 1- Is mearslii acacia is possible in your land.?
            > This is a native of
            > Austrelia.
            >
            > 2-What you want to grow in 20 acer.
            >
            > 3-You want to do fukuoka Farming ?
            >
            > Thanks In nature
            >
            > RajuTitus
            >

            > On 10/24/07, Matthew Bond <m007j_1999@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > G'day,
            > >
            > > I'm planning on doing some clayballs for some land
            > near Lake Hindmarsh
            > > (near Nhill/Dimboola - the major centre in the
            > area being Horsham in
            > > Victoria, Australia) and was wondering how much
            > soil/clay/seed etc I
            > > would need for 20 acres. Also, what would be a
            > good time to
            > > distribute the clayballs at this time of year
            > (given it's spring in
            > > the southern hemisphere now). It may actually be
            > more practical for
            > > me to make the clayballs first and transport them
            > to the land later
            > > depending on the quantity.
            > >
            > > Also, are less seeds needed per acre using
            > clayballs or is it the same
            > > as if you tilled?
            > >
            > > regards,
            > >
            > > Matthew.

            > removed]

            National Bingo Night. Play along for the chance to win $10,000 every week. Download your gamecard now at Yahoo!7 TV. http://au.blogs.yahoo.com/national-bingo-night/
          • mj
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
              G'day J,

              I haven't really decided on anything specific yet.
              I'd be happy with any type of grain (best suited to
              the climate perhaps) and various types of flowers and
              veggies.

              cheers,

              Matthew.

            • Peter
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
                On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "macropneuma" wrote:

                | The Japanese, Indian & Greek members seems to be amongst the most expert
                | in seed balls making, especially for large scale - I'm not expert
                | experienced on that.

                This is a very interesting question:

                * How do we make seedballs efficiently for 20 acres?

                --Peter.