Re: New Zealand

  • garden03048
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6, 2007
      --- In area but
      > apparently it has been nominated as among 100 of the "World's Worst"
      > invaders so again, I do not want to upset the rest of the farm and
      the dairy
      > farming neighbours with spreading 'weeds' that the cattle outside my
      > designated area won't eat.

      Linda,

      the Stockman Grass Farmer has had a few articles on teaching cattle
      to eat 'weeds'. With some training, previously unused forages become
      an asset.

      anthony

    • Linda Shewan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
        We are 15 minutes from Hamilton on Piako Road between Gordonton and
        Morrinsville. Definitely the 'civilised' part - no unauthorised nature here!
        Hopefully I can change a small piece of that and help bring back the frogs
        that disappeared from the area years ago!

        Thanks for the information on the permaculture society, I would definitely
        like to be involved and will contact Cheryl direct.

        Cheers, Linda

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
          From
          http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Environment/TheStyx/IntroducingKowhai_Sep2006.pdf .

          Are kowhai poisonous?

          Chemists have shown that the kowhai is like many other plants in that it
          manufactures

          organic compounds called alkaloids. Well known examples of these are
          morphine (from

          the opium poppy), nicotine (from tobacco) and quinine (from cinchona bark).
          In kowhai

          the most important alkaloids are cytisine (also found in Spanish broom and
          Laburnum)

          and anagyrine (also found in lupins). The following information about their
          ability to

          poison animals or not is taken from Dr. H. E. Connor's The poisonous plants
          in New

          Zealand (2nd edition , 1977). Extracts of S. microphylla seeds were toxic to
          mice, and

          caused narcosis and death to bees. Outside the laboratory, however, examples
          of kowhai

          poisoning are hard to find. No known poisoning of stock could be attributed
          to kowhai;

          and the only example of poisoning of humans was reported in 1923 when "two
          persons

          were made very ill by eating food with a spoon made of kohai wood". The
          nectar of

          S. microphylla can cause narcosis in bees leading to death from exposure
          outside the

          hive.

          As for the hard yellow seeds of kowhai, Dr Connor informs me that "kowhai
          seeds

          feature prominently among calls for advice made to the National Poisons
          Centre,

          Dunedin" but that examples of seed poisoning are unknown. Seeds swallowed
          whole

          pass undamaged through the digestive tract; if chewed (which is difficult)
          they have a

          bitter taste.

          It is thus understandable that a recent move to eliminate kowhai trees from
          kindergarten

          grounds was generally considered to be an unnecessary over reaction. Far
          from destroying

          these lovely trees, we should be planting more of them

          .------------------------

          And landcare says:

          "Examples of the latter are the legumes kowhai and laburnum whose seeds are
          extremely hard but would only be toxic if ground up first and swallowed."

          Since there has been no known cases of stock poisoning - I'm not too worried
          about it. Linda

          I am wondering if you know that Kowhai is poisonous to cows? I have
          heard this before and thought you may check.
          Regards, Aaron

        • George.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
            15 minutes is easy stuff Linda. Definately email Cheryl. I raised the matter this evening with her and she is interested. Dependant on how far down the conversion route you are it could be worth a field trip out to see your work. There are also local links you may be able to trade on.

            rob