No-Till

  • rajutitus lal
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2007
      Friends,
      Awareness of no-till farming and use of crop residues is spread up by Fukuoka.This is true that this is not natural farming, but this technique is becoming popular and is helping in drought hit condition.-Raju

      >Report of google alert.
      FEATURE-Climate change drives farm revolution in Australia
      Reuters AlertNet - London,England,UK
      ... which represents 35000 wheat growers, estimates that 60 percent of
      Australia's farmlands now use advanced no-till or minimum-till practices,
      <http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SYD131868.htm>

    • Linda Shewan
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
        Moving to no till is good news but unfortunately conventional no-till in
        both Australia and NZ till uses extensive use of broadacre herbicide which
        destroys all soil life in its path. So whilst the increase in carbon storage
        can be applauded it's anyone's guess whether the real effect is in fact
        positive or negative one. One bad practice has simply been replaced by
        another - and the new one suits the agrichemical companies that much more!

        Still, small steps I guess. Linda

        Awareness of no-till farming and use of crop residues is spread up by
        Fukuoka.This is true that this is not natural farming, but this technique is
        becoming popular and is helping in drought hit condition.-Raju

        >Report of google alert.
        FEATURE-Climate change drives farm revolution in Australia
        Reuters AlertNet - London,England,UK
        ... which represents 35000 wheat growers, estimates that 60 percent of
        Australia's farmlands now use advanced no-till or minimum-till practices,
        <http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SYD131868.htm>

      • Raju Titus
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2009
          Advantages of No-Till Explained in Amherst

          Updated: June 10, 2009 05:50 AM
          Advantages of No-Till Explained in Amherst

          Working less and producing more; a solid business model that brought
          central Nebraska farmers to Amherst Wednesday.
          The No-Till on the Plains Whirlwind Expo came to town where
          cultivators of the earth learn how to improve their efficiency in the
          fields.
          Organizers used soil beds and samples to show what conditions
          plants grow best in.
          "We'd go out and we'd run our hands through the soil and we'd look
          at it and squeeze it and smell it and say 'Oh that's a perfect seed
          bed.' But yet, if we thought like a plant, we can't go out in the
          prairie and do that. Yet, plants grow all the time without disturbing
          that soil," explained Brian Lindley.
          Lindley said many farmers would be surprised to learn how vastly
          they can improve their yields by implementing newer no-till
          techniques.