Re:periodic burning is an adaptation of many ecosystems

  • michael
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 12, 2007
      Alex,

      it is becoming a restoration practice here (Wisconsin) to burn the
      forest on the limestone and sandstone bluffs to encourage the return
      of the oak savanna ecosystems from the remnants which have survived.
      Tricky business but it works if done by professionals - we have had
      so many dry years that the forest is no longer 'like wet asbestos'.
      The fire first removes the alien shrub understory, allowing
      germination from the seedbank of savanna forbs; then it kills the
      softwood trees. Voila (in earth terms meaning decades), sparsely
      separated bur and white oaks with an understory of savanna plants.

      - Michael

      On Sep 11, 2007, at 7:29 AM, Alex Woods wrote:

      > periodic burning is an adaptation of many ecosystems,

      > Compare the English or eastern North
      > American deciduous forest, which burns, as Rackham puts it, "like wet
      > asbestos."
      >
      > Alex
      > NYC

    • karoubas